Hearing 'god voices' and mental health

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Hearing 'god voices' and mental health
When I was a christian I often heard/felt god's voice and heard/felt/saw demons and other 'spiritual' activity. I was often overwhelmed by my visions and even made some irrational decisions based on those conversations with god.

Now as an atheist, I'm very relieved that god and demons aren't watching everything I do, however, still sometimes hear voices.

I'm fairly normal, (I think), but am worried that perhaps something is really wrong, or maybe this is due to the intense faith training and just need some counseling to undo it.

I have a lot of fears around this and am wondering if anyone has ever had similar experience, or can recommend a book about it.

I am working on finding a dr/therapist for professional advice, but finding someone is taking time and I'm really hoping to hear someone else say they can relate.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2014, 10:09 PM
RE: Hearing 'god voices' and mental health
Are the voices constant?

Are they malevolent?

Are they associated with anything in particular - in the sense of when they occur?

Are they getting in the way of what you want to do?

Definitely get some pro advice for your own peace of mind.

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
26-08-2014, 07:06 AM
Definitely seek a professional's help, I've had supernatural experiences before, but you have to tell yourself it's just your brain playing tricks.
As I've learned more about the brain and thinking skeptically, the less mystical it became, there's really not that much to it, but it can be disturbing.

Here's an article you might find helpful:

http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/help-info...ng-voices/

Consulting people on the interwebz is not the best way to get help, you need a professional to untangle all of it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
26-08-2014, 08:33 AM
I have always believed that if you believe in something strong enough, you will find it, whether it exists or not...

I don't have the training in neuro or psychology in order to be able to answer that with any degree of credibility.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
26-08-2014, 09:33 AM
(25-08-2014 09:34 PM)GwenB3 Wrote:  When I was a christian I often heard/felt god's voice and heard/felt/saw demons and other 'spiritual' activity. I was often overwhelmed by my visions and even made some irrational decisions based on those conversations with god.

Now as an atheist, I'm very relieved that god and demons aren't watching everything I do, however, still sometimes hear voices.

I'm fairly normal, (I think), but am worried that perhaps something is really wrong, or maybe this is due to the intense faith training and just need some counseling to undo it.

I have a lot of fears around this and am wondering if anyone has ever had similar experience, or can recommend a book about it.

I am working on finding a dr/therapist for professional advice, but finding someone is taking time and I'm really hoping to hear someone else say they can relate.

How old are you? Do you suffer from depression or overwhelming anxiety? Is there something else in your life that's bothering you?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Hi all,
I went to a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
I am on medication that has quieted the voices and I am so glad I took those steps.
I am a bit angry that at the onset of these voices in my teen years I was told they were spirits and had an exorcism performed, thankful a fairly benign one just prayer and laying on of hands but incredibly emotionally overwhelming.

It is a genetic disease and I have learned my grandfather had it and possibly my sister.

Thank you for the encouragement to seek professional advice.

Gwen
[+] 3 users Like GwenB3's post
11-09-2014, 03:59 AM
(11-09-2014 03:53 AM)GwenB3 Wrote:  Hi all,
I am on medication that has quieted the voices and I am so glad I took those steps.
I am a bit angry that at the onset of these voices in my teen years I was told they were spirits and had an exorcism performed, thankful a fairly benign one just prayer and laying on of hands but incredibly emotionally overwhelming.

It is a genetic disease and I have learned my grandfather had it and possibly my sister.

Gwen

Welcome to the forum Smile Wow, that's pretty intense... Um... I kinda think it's pretty awesome that you figured out the voices weren't real though, I've always wondered if I had something similar happen to me, whether I would be able to distinguish between reality and what was just in my head...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
11-09-2014, 05:51 AM
I´m glad you got help, and the voices have stopped Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Elisabet-sokkur's post
11-09-2014, 09:31 AM
(11-09-2014 03:53 AM)GwenB3 Wrote:  Hi all,

Gwen

Keep taking the medication. Don't stop. There is evidence that the medication rebuilds some of the areas of the brain that are responsible for schizophrenia. If you're female schizophrenia isn't quite as bad as it is in males. The estrogen has some sort of protective quality that diminishes the symptoms. Also, it's a good sign that you realized that the voices weren't real. That's excellant.

If you're in school you can keep going, just keep taking the medication.

Also, scientists are mapping the brain. It's similar to the Genome Project which mapped the entire human genome except this is the brain. They will most likely have a greater understanding of mental illnesses than before and come up with much better medications and perhaps some cures.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-benefits-...ng-1.13386

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-09-2014, 11:34 AM
Great to hear - and well done!

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post