Heart pounding moment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 04:46 PM
RE: Heart pounding moment
(10-08-2014 04:42 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 01:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It's sunday 2pm and a well dressed man & woman knock on my door. I open it with hesitation and he hands me a flyer that is promoting a bible website. He gives his little talk and when he's finished I nervously ask, "Why would you want to do this ? Why do you want to lie to people ?"

He replies "The bible doesn't contain any lies. "
I say "Go back and read your bible. Its filled with lies and what you're doing is disgusting and immoral"

He says "Have a nice day" and they walk on.
My heart was pounding. I've never confronted anyone like that before.

It felt good. It felt honest. Everyone here helped me take that step to voice my opinion at my front door to people I no longer care to placate.

If there were a hall of fame for posts this should be in it. Smile

Maybe a sticky thread for public confrontations of religion and the religious? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-08-2014, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 03:07 AM by Mathilda.)
(10-08-2014 01:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  He says "Have a nice day" and they walk on.

You let them get away?

You should wash the pavement outside. They're like ants. They follow a pheromone trail where other scouts have gone before and if they pick up the scent of either potential conversion or aggression then they strengthen the scent all the way back to the hive.

Your only chance now is to leave a 20 foot high wine bottle outside half filled with water with jam smeared around the top.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
10-08-2014, 06:44 PM
You sir, are my hero Bowing

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
10-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Good job Rahn. Smile
And I gotta say I'm envious. They seem to always come to my door when I'm not home. I've been waiting to confront them, but haven't had the opportunity. They come about once a month and the fliers are getting old!

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
10-08-2014, 09:29 PM
(10-08-2014 08:54 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Good job Rahn. Smile
And I gotta say I'm envious. They seem to always come to my door when I'm not home. I've been waiting to confront them, but haven't had the opportunity. They come about once a month and the fliers are getting old!

Maybe make an appointment? Big Grin

[Image: download_zps90b7b06f.jpg]
11-08-2014, 03:59 AM
Well done, Rahn. I'm not as forthright as you, but I usually have a big grin on my face. I particularly like JWs. My sister and BIL are JWs and I've heard their patter a million times. At times, I've told the JWs what they were about to say, thereby demonstrating my psychic powers...or something.

24 likes for your post at the time of writing! Does anyone here keep records of such things. Even "ordinary" really good posts struggle to get past 4 likes. SmileThumbsup
11-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Firstly... Bowing

(10-08-2014 01:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
He says "Have a nice day" and they walk on.

Secondly, I am curious. Was there a look of surprise at being confronted? Or was this just business as usual?

If the latter, it's encouraging that others are reacting in similar ways.

(10-08-2014 01:01 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ...
Everyone here helped me take that step

Yabut you couldn't have done it without you.

Although it's nice to get a mention in the credits Smile

11-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Thank you all for the great feedback. I was trying to live up to what I have always wanted for myself. I wanted to speak my mind in public and let my voice be heard. They were JW's but I really didn't know that at the time. They handed me the flyer and the more they talked, the more furious I became. Not because of what they said but because of 20+ yrs of me being silent and saying nothing and or smiling and being gracious while they felt entitled to spew this garbage to every door they went to.

To answer DLJ, they reacted as if I wasn't the first one to treat them this way. They immediately turned and left. No questions, no "god bless you", no "jesus loves you" crap, just a calm "have a nice day". This made me think that they already had plans and particular wording in place when they encountered someone like me.

Again thank you all for the encouragement and hopefully next time I can calmly reel them back in for a real honest discussion

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
11-08-2014, 10:44 AM
(11-08-2014 08:18 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  ... To answer DLJ, they reacted as if I wasn't the first one to treat them this way. They immediately turned and left. No questions, no "god bless you", no "jesus loves you" crap, just a calm "have a nice day". This made me think that they already had plans and particular wording in place when they encountered someone like me. ...

First off, well done! I can empathise with the 'heart-pounding' bit in particular as I get wound up over such matters in the blink of an eye.

JWs used to visit my place once a month or so. My father likes to talk with them for some reason (though he's not buying what they're selling). Last summer I decided to try to explain to them that the joy they feel from thinking about how god created the universe was the same as the joy I feel from thinking about how awesome the universe is without a creator. I spoke of science and nature, and focussed on how happy I was about the amazing world I live in. At the end of their visit they shook hands/hugged me and my father, which they had never done before, and left. They haven't been back since, which makes me think they got the hint that they weren't going to make a dent in us with their god-chat. I felt bad that I'd inadvertently chased them off, but my father said it was okay: he liked talking with them when they were here, but could never tell them to leave him be because they were so nice.

At least some of them know when they're barking up the wrong tree, eh? Smile

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
11-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Good for you!! Thumbsup

I try to be as mean as I can to them and telemarketers. I want it to be one of those jobs that people groan when they are asked to do it and say " that's the worst job ever, please don't make me go door to door".

Eh, I try.

One lady came, she had a child in tow, I screamed at her to read a science book. I was harsh, but I'm sure it stuck in the child's memory and maybe the child will one day wonder about the contents of a science book and why people think his mom is a nut job.

And hopefully she didn't drag her child to anymore doors because of the mean people who might influence him. Angel

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller