Heartbreaking, But..........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 01:43 PM
RE: Heartbreaking, But..........
(28-10-2015 12:52 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What difference would that make????

Not a great deal. Mainly my curiosity.

I am a parent. I know that I react differently to situations now that I am a parent, as compared to before I was a father.

I was simply curious about your perspective.
My perspective is -- if you're willing to lie to a dying child "to make them feel better" -- you've just endorsed religion.

I suspect that it's exactly how it got started in the first place.....

"Gee sorry honey -- but Grandma's going to live in heaven now".....

UN-fucking-forgivable.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 03:15 PM
(28-10-2015 01:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:52 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Not a great deal. Mainly my curiosity.

I am a parent. I know that I react differently to situations now that I am a parent, as compared to before I was a father.

My perspective is -- if you're willing to lie to a dying child "to make them feel better" -- you've just endorsed religion.

That seems like a pretty hard line to take.
Would allowing grieving relatives at a funeral to believe their loved one has gone to a better place be condoning religion?
I don't think I have to respect a person's religious beliefs to have compassion for them as a person.
There's are times to battle religious beliefs, this to me, isn't one of them.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
28-10-2015, 03:28 PM
(28-10-2015 01:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:52 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Not a great deal. Mainly my curiosity.

You put ideology above empathy. What good is it going to do to pull the rug out from under a dying child (or old person, too)?

It accomplishes nothing but increased suffering.

Fail.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
28-10-2015, 03:32 PM
If you can't find a way to be emphatic without lying and making up an invisible buddy - you might as well throw in the towel....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
28-10-2015, 03:53 PM
(28-10-2015 03:32 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  If you can't find a way to be emphatic without lying and making up an invisible buddy - you might as well throw in the towel....

There is a place and time for deconversion - the death bed isn't it. For one, it is absolutely pointless. For another - it is cruel. The person has no time to think and absorb - they are DYING! Geesh.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
29-10-2015, 02:30 AM
We're all dying... It's just a matter of time....

29-10-2015, 03:05 AM
(29-10-2015 02:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We're all dying... It's just a matter of time....

Point was that some of us have more time than others.
29-10-2015, 05:15 AM
(28-10-2015 01:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My perspective is -- if you're willing to lie to a dying child "to make them feel better" -- you've just endorsed religion.

Or murder/suicide!

I saw many people leave life to join Jesus while on the cancer ward. I refused to die. They are no more. I remain.

Enough said.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post
29-10-2015, 07:16 AM
(29-10-2015 05:15 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 01:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  My perspective is -- if you're willing to lie to a dying child "to make them feel better" -- you've just endorsed religion.

Or murder/suicide!

I saw many people leave life to join Jesus while on the cancer ward. I refused to die. They are no more. I remain.

Enough said.

But there is no comparison between you and a little girl who is about to die. Telling a little girl who is doubtlessly at death's door that everything she has been told is a lie serves no purpose. It will only cause the kid to die in confusion and in pain about having been lied to. If anything, it will depress whatever fight there might be left. That is not the time or place to be self righteous about religion, it is time to make the little girl comfortable and loved. What a horrible way to go it would be - knowing that everything the people you love told you is a lie. If anything, that would speed up the exit.

[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
29-10-2015, 07:23 AM
What an unimaginable situation.

She's never going to know the difference. If it helps a small child cope so be it. Death is scary for anyone, let alone a tiny child.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post