Heartbreaking, But..........

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2015, 02:35 PM
RE: Heartbreaking, But..........
(30-10-2015 01:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  This reminds me of a short film called Helium. It pretty much sums up my feelings on making children feel as comfortable as possible if they are dying, which is scary enough and hard enough to comprehend for adults, never mind children.

*Crying*
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2015, 02:58 PM
(30-10-2015 02:35 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 01:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  This reminds me of a short film called Helium. It pretty much sums up my feelings on making children feel as comfortable as possible if they are dying, which is scary enough and hard enough to comprehend for adults, never mind children.

*Crying*

Hug

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
30-10-2015, 03:05 PM
(30-10-2015 02:58 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(30-10-2015 02:35 PM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  *Crying*

Hug
Oh and it made me wonder how Danish sounds to other people. I imagine it must be an ugly language.
30-10-2015, 03:39 PM
(28-10-2015 06:59 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  What a line of crap this poor tyke has been fed. Sadcryface

Girl Chooses Heaven Over Hospital

I saw this and it tore me to to pieces. I have such mixed emotions. I think because she has suffered so much and she is going to die anyway that if that story is what she needs to help give her peace, then let it go...she's 5. A deathbed deconversion of a 5 year old is not a hill I am going to die on as a non-believer.

However, I am also fumed because I know the "right" will spin this into a story of god using this precious little one's story to bring others to himself. Really??? Shut the fuck up and sit the fuck down. If this isn't evidence that your god is an absolute asshole than I don't know what is. Children are the epitome of innocence in our age and any existing god that allows this shit to happen is downright repugnant. What I can't stand is how this god somehow keeps getting away with the perfect crimes. Every time he's on the witness stand his followers will say,....."well it's different, it's for a better reason, we can't know what that reason is...yada yada yada." No one else would be able to get away with that. If I allowed a 5 year old to die by purposefully giving her a disease that I could have stopped would anyone say "well we can't know know his reasons, his thoughts are higher than ours. No way. Not a chance.

Rant over.

My "heart" goes out to these family members. I offer them my condolences and immediately throw $ at R&D for disease curing.

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
30-10-2015, 11:56 PM
(28-10-2015 12:52 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 12:25 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  What difference would that make????

Not a great deal. Mainly my curiosity.

I am a parent. I know that I react differently to situations now that I am a parent, as compared to before I was a father.

I was simply curious about your perspective.

I think yours was a pointed question, and while OLB might not be a parent, I am; my son's mother was diagnosed with cancer when he was three, and by his fifth birthday she was given six months to live, so I've had a death-conversation with my child.

It isn't easy, even (as in my case) talking about someone else's death. I could see that despite my attempts to both lay bare the naked truth and at the same time shelter my son from life's harshest reality, I could see that his comprehension was superficial at best.

I disagree with feeding the child leading questions about preferring "heaven" over hospital, myself. If that's what they think is needed to comfort their daughter, great, but quite frankly, as the poor girl ends her days, whether at home or in ICU, she will be left wondering what else could have happened.

As a parent, I couldn't imagine surrendering my child's life in such a sanguine manner. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing these parents here; they clearly have different feelings than do I. But myself, I would strain every nerve to eke out every single day my son could have.

M'boy's 18 now, and of course if he decided otherwise at this point I would respect his decision on such matters, albeit ruefully. But at four or five, I wouldn't deign to feed him my beliefs as I resigned myself to his demise.

That's just me, right or wrong, and in the same vein, I won't call these parents one thing or the other for the decision they've made. I can only take solace that I was never confronted with such an excruciating decision myself.
31-10-2015, 02:36 PM
I think this case is the perfect example of "making the right (or more accurately, smallest wrong) choice for the wrong reasons". As a medical student, I've seen that most doctors don't want to go to heroic lengths if the gains are hardly if at all significant, and the most they could've done here is to give her a few more months, with an extremely low quality of life (hospitalization, sterile room, strong antibiotics... a torture even for an adult, not to mention a young child) and no hope of definitive treatment. Still, feeding her all that religious bull**** made her judgment clouded - she might have come to the same conclusion, but from a different perspective, and maybe with a different approach on how to spend her remaining time.
[+] 1 user Likes Naridar's post
31-10-2015, 03:53 PM
There is no good, or right, answer here and I think it's completely unfair to judge the parents dealing with this. And, I'd probably tell my kid the same thing about heaven. Dying is scary as an adult. For a child it's horrifying. So, I'd tell them they are going to be with a god I don't believe in. Not because I'm a coward but because I'm a human being and I'm incapable of dealing with everything rationally and without emotion. And, because sometimes the truth is much worse thant he fiction.

As for the story, generally, a 5 year old can't make a rational decision because they lack the capacity to understand. I doubt this little girl has any idea what she's agreeing to. This is something the parents probably pushed her to to ease their own suffering. And, I can't blame them. Having a child who's got an incurable fatal disease is awful. The only thing worse is waiting around for the inevitable.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost