Heated Debates On This Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Heated Debates On This Forum
There have been some pretty heated debates going on in the Atheist section of thethinkingatheist. I've been following some of them and one thing has become pretty clear.

There are quite a few people on here who are more intelligent than I am. . . . There. . . . . I said it. I have come to terms with it. Having said that, it is rather unnerving. I usually hold my own pretty well on Christian sites, and rarely concede, . . . but on here, I run the risk of "being demolished" by the logic/argument of another. And I'm not even religious!

Well, . . . whatever the case, I can use a thrashing to be "a baby about it" [which would be ridiculous], or use it as a learning experience and not take it personally. I've had to do that a few times already on here.

What I don't understand is a person using intelligence to personally attack the other person. We can disagree [or learn from each other] civilly, I would hope!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like DeavonReye's post
31-10-2013, 09:07 AM
RE: Heated Debates On This Forum
It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with intelligence, just with exposure to a specific topic.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
31-10-2013, 09:09 AM
I consider myself one IQ point above a drooling baboon(no offense meant to baboons).

If someone cannot disagree with a person without that leading to "you're stupid" that is ridiculous.

We get many trolls and morons parading through here and I think we end up with some dogpiles (I'm guilty of this) that you wouldn't get in person.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 3 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
31-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Dom, . . . sometimes, I equate the two. But I can understand what you're saying here. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
31-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Geez I am with you on that one. I feel like I will get crushed if I make a comment on some of the threads around here!
31-10-2013, 09:15 AM
(31-10-2013 09:03 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  What I don't understand is a person using intelligence to personally attack the other person. We can disagree [or learn from each other] civilly, I would hope!

Because, and I never thought I would say that, brains aren't everything.

And, sadly, the internet kinda sorta does attract the (monstrously) socially challenged. But hell, if it doesn't make you feel like a million bucks when you insult the shit out of someone else. Esp. when you do it in the safety of your own house (or mum's basement. Whatever the case may be.)

The picture I always have in mind with creeps like this is pretty much the debating equivalent of this. 'Cause that's the (sad) kinda kings they are.

I shot an ol' bottle with my favorite gun just last night
It shattered and the sound made me feel like the king I am
The neighbors all heard and got scared
Thought it was a gunfight
But hell, it was fun, so I did it again
'Cause that's the kinda king I am

I shoot 'em up, I shoot 'em down
I shoot the lost, I shoot the found
And if there's someone I can't find
Well, then I shoot 'em in my mind

I turned on the radio and listened to the ol' songs playin'
And things started feelin' good and right again
So I shot up a crow in a tree after dinner this evenin
Its good to keep yer trigger finger nimble,
I'll tell you what, my friend

I shot my daddy in the arm, with morphine
He said he never felt so good in all his goddamn life
So I shot him up just once more, fer good measure
He never woke up, and ever since, it's been a mighty peaceful life

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
31-10-2013, 09:23 AM
True, Vera. I suppose some could feel good about their prowess on the internet. I admit to feeling a sense of accomplishment when I dispatch with a theist's argument. But I hardly ever do so in an attacking way . . . . unless they've said something asinine [like, . . . "I will enjoy seeing their face when they are thrown into hell"].

I prefer civil discussions, . . . even if one side must concede.
31-10-2013, 09:33 AM
"Fear not for I bring tidings of great joy!" or something like that... Rolleyes

If you're going to get "crushed" this is the place to do it. I kind of view it as practice. This forum seems like a safe place to refine my thinking so that I'll be prepared for discussions in the real world.

As far as personal attacks go, it might help to re-frame them. Instead of taking them as insults, take them as an admission of defeat. When someone resorts to name calling it's often a sign they lost the argument. So if someone says "you're stupid" train your brain to hear "you win."

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 5 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
31-10-2013, 09:37 AM
(31-10-2013 09:23 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  True, Vera. I suppose some could feel good about their prowess on the internet. I admit to feeling a sense of accomplishment when I dispatch with a theist's argument. But I hardly ever do so in an attacking way . . . . unless they've said something asinine [like, . . . "I will enjoy seeing their face when they are thrown into hell"].

I prefer civil discussions, . . . even if one side must concede.

This is often where the less than civil arguments start. A person with a history of telling others they are going to burn in hell is often going to be on the receiving end of some vitriol...not only is the whole concept of hell awful but when they take that path they are playing god...which is supposed to be a no-no.

If/when one of the damnation posters decides to try another method and chill with that kind of thing, it takes a while for people to accept that they have really changed.

A person who has spent months posting their religio-babble then suddenly tries to play nice is looked upon with suspicion. When you consistently show you are one thing and suddenly appear as another the skeptic in most of us is, well, skeptical.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
31-10-2013, 09:44 AM
I've been guilty of this also, even though I try to keep it civil. I think sometimes the frustration of debating someone who refuses to even consider your point gets to be to much, and it's to easy to let your fingers vent those frustrations.

I think a calm, reasoned argument holds more weight to an audience than insults, but then again sometimes an asshole needs to be called out.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post