Heated Debates On This Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2013, 09:50 AM
RE: Heated Debates On This Forum
True, evenheathen, . . . unless the "asshole" doesn't care what you think about them.

Can of Beans, . . . that's a good word. An appropriate way to look at this topic, actually.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-10-2013, 10:00 AM
(31-10-2013 09:44 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  I've been guilty of this also, even though I try to keep it civil. I think sometimes the frustration of debating someone who refuses to even consider your point gets to be to much, and it's to easy to let your fingers vent those frustrations.

I think a calm, reasoned argument holds more weight to an audience than insults, but then again sometimes an asshole needs to be called out.

Yes...this. When the argument just becomes too circular, and they are just repeating themselves, refusing to remove their god-glasses for even a moment...

Or they will concede lack of knowledge on a fact, only to recant it later saying they didn't mean it.

That's when I begin saying "shoo fly"

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-10-2013, 10:05 AM
(31-10-2013 10:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's when I begin saying "shoo fly"
Mom, that's the best ever. Esp. when you used this once Big Grin

I'm pretty sure I know what Deavon is talking about and that's one sad little creature. What's even sadder is that people here actually seem to like it. I hate to say that like attracts like, and I'm positive that people who seem to enjoy its particular brand of shit-slinging debating are nothing like it, and yet...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
31-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Quote:What I don't understand is a person using intelligence to personally attack the other person.

People are dicks, intelligent ones too.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
31-10-2013, 10:34 AM
(31-10-2013 10:05 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 10:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's when I begin saying "shoo fly"
Mom, that's the best ever. Esp. when you used this once Big Grin

Thanks Vera! Hug

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-10-2013, 10:39 AM
A large reason I am not into debates as much is because sometimes I get riled up, won't lie. Anymore I just keep a clear head and if I feel like I'm getting upset I just take a break. Keep in mind the point of a debate is not to "pwn the shit out of someone" but to convey points to each other, convince the audience (depending on the debate) and try and bring up points of discussion and explain each other's point of view.

Often times, the heated debates get beyond that and at some point get out of hand and at that point it's no longer a debate. Sometimes it's ok to just know when to say, "this isn't working out."

That said, I think it's ok for stuff to get heated and passionate, it means both parties likely feel very strongly about their viewpoint, and if they can keep from ad hominems and personal attacks, sometimes those discussions CAN bring up good points. This is the reason it's allowed here, so long as there isn't trolling or personal threats.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
31-10-2013, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2013 11:04 AM by DLJ.)
(31-10-2013 09:12 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Geez I am with you on that one. I feel like I will get crushed if I make a comment on some of the threads around here!

Yup. Me too three. Shy

31-10-2013, 10:46 AM
I much prefer discussion to debate.

'Cause I'm a non-confrontational guy. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-10-2013, 10:47 AM
(31-10-2013 10:39 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Often times, the heated debates get beyond that and at some point get out of hand and at that point it's no longer a debate. Sometimes it's ok to just know when to say, "this isn't working out."

Pfft.

That just means you lose.

Wink

... this is my signature!
31-10-2013, 10:47 AM
(31-10-2013 10:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  I much prefer discussion to debate.

'Cause I'm a non-confrontational guy. Drinking Beverage

*pushes Chas* NO YOU AREN'T!

Laughat

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.