Heated Debates On This Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2013, 03:18 PM
RE: Heated Debates On This Forum
(31-10-2013 03:15 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 11:13 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Anj...let's see how far he takes this!Drinking Beverage

He's probably ignoring me...I sent him a reminder about Peter Jackson's birthday...probably planning to burn my embassy.

Sheesh, would be nice if the guy had a sense of humor. Tongue

Burning an Embassy is Chas's go to action.Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
31-10-2013, 04:12 PM
Now, thesaurus is from a Greek word meaning storehouse or treasury (and is in fact the ultimate origin of the English word 'treasure'); being Greek the proper plural is thesauroi. Thesauros is of course unrelated to sauros (lizard), the component found in so many dinosaur names (and indeed the word 'dinosaur' itself - never mind that dinosaurs aren't lizards! Tongue ).

To divine an unknown meaning I would imagine the dictionary to be far more useful. Although a thesaurus is certainly one way to go.

Me, I'm liable to indulge in prose positively plenary with pomposity on occasion. Not particularly purposefully; s'just that I like the sound of cool words and don't generally consider how it'll come across.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
31-10-2013, 04:23 PM
(31-10-2013 04:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Now, thesaurus is from a Greek word meaning storehouse or treasury (and is in fact the ultimate origin of the English word 'treasure'); being Greek the proper plural is thesauroi. Thesauros is of course unrelated to sauros (lizard), the component found in so many dinosaur names (and indeed the word 'dinosaur' itself - never mind that dinosaurs aren't lizards! Tongue ).

To divine an unknown meaning I would imagine the dictionary to be far more useful. Although a thesaurus is certainly one way to go.

Me, I'm liable to indulge in prose positively plenary with pomposity on occasion. Not particularly purposefully; s'just that I like the sound of cool words and don't generally consider how it'll come across.

Considering how expansive the verbiage in the English Language is it would be a unspeakable travesty not not employ it to full effect. Pomposity is not a vice.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
31-10-2013, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2013 07:24 PM by Can_of_Beans.)
(31-10-2013 04:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 04:12 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Now, thesaurus is from a Greek word meaning storehouse or treasury (and is in fact the ultimate origin of the English word 'treasure'); being Greek the proper plural is thesauroi. Thesauros is of course unrelated to sauros (lizard), the component found in so many dinosaur names (and indeed the word 'dinosaur' itself - never mind that dinosaurs aren't lizards! Tongue ).

Considering how expansive the verbiage in the English Language is it would be a unspeakable travesty not not employ it to full effect. Pomposity is not a vice.

Perhaps, yet can verbosity be considered a virtue when loquacious dissertations tend to obfuscate concepts that would otherwise be elucidated by the use of the vernacular?

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
31-10-2013, 04:54 PM
(31-10-2013 04:44 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 04:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Considering how expansive the verbiage in the English Language is it would be a unspeakable travesty not not employ it to full effect. Pomposity is not a vice.

Perhaps, yet can verbosity be considered a virtue when loquacious dissertations tend to obfuscate concepts that would otherwise be elucidated by the use the vernacular?

Oh fuck y'all. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
31-10-2013, 05:15 PM
(31-10-2013 03:10 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(31-10-2013 09:03 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  What I don't understand is a person using intelligence to personally attack the other person.

Cannot speak for everybody, of course, but I believe in reciprocity. Being an asshole, I got no problem calling everybody else an asshole. Besides, I'm a spawn of Wormtown, that's just how we show affection and shit. You fucking fuck.

(And yeah, I do that IRL as well.)

LOL . . . . . Indeed sir. Indeed! Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
31-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I know there are many people here thst are way smarter than me,and thats why i usually don't go into debates with theists here. They finish them before i even get a chance to talk to them Weeping

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....