Heatheness, you have inspired me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-03-2016, 12:48 AM
Heatheness, you have inspired me...
...to talk to elders in my family and see if I can get some family history.
I was raised by both of my bio parents but don't really know my dad's side of the family. I think there is only one of his siblings left. I don't know him on a personal level, but I am FB friends with him. There are some aunts and an uncle that I know on mom's side.
A conversation with my Uncle Lee would be nice. I don't believe I've ever spoke to him. I think he's my last chance to get Baldwin family history with mom,dad, and all grandparents being deceased.
My grandma Wilcox shared stories from my maternal side. One day, maybe soon, I will tell an odd story she told around the campfire. A story that may have actually muddied some of the family lineage.
Till then, thanks for unknowingly pushing me to reach out to less known family.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like edbaldwin's post
25-03-2016, 12:51 AM
RE: Heatheness, you have inspired me...
(25-03-2016 12:48 AM)edbaldwin Wrote:  ...to talk to elders in my family and see if I can get some family history.
I was raised by both of my bio parents but don't really know my dad's side of the family. I think there is only one of his siblings left. I don't know him on a personal level, but I am FB friends with him. There are some aunts and an uncle that I know on mom's side.
A conversation with my Uncle Lee would be nice. I don't believe I've ever spoke to him. I think he's my last chance to get Baldwin family history with mom,dad, and all grandparents being deceased.
My grandma Wilcox shared stories from my maternal side. One day, maybe soon, I will tell an odd story she told around the campfire. A story that may have actually muddied some of the family lineage.
Till then, thanks for unknowingly pushing me to reach out to less known family.Smile

You may find this site interesting. Trace your hereditary.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-03-2016, 05:26 AM
(25-03-2016 12:48 AM)edbaldwin Wrote:  ...to talk to elders in my family and see if I can get some family history.

Cool. I hope your find your ancestor adventure interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I'm going to write up the story of m other grandmother this weekend and post it.

I can't wait for your share. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
26-03-2016, 06:41 AM
That's really cool!

It's something I always wanted to do, since my grandpa died many years before I was born and my grandma died when I was 5, so I never got to know them. I have managed to get some stories, but it's hard for me to ask because it makes most of my relatives quite emotional and it gets a bit awkward.

Also beware of biased stories! Tongue I've heard the same story told in 3 different ways by 3 different people.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
26-03-2016, 06:59 AM
(26-03-2016 06:41 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  That's really cool!

It's something I always wanted to do, since my grandpa died many years before I was born and my grandma died when I was 5, so I never got to know them. I have managed to get some stories, but it's hard for me to ask because it makes most of my relatives quite emotional and it gets a bit awkward.

Also beware of biased stories! Tongue I've heard the same story told in 3 different ways by 3 different people.

That is the basic problem with all of this genealogy stuff. Some of the material that my mother accumulated was so far off that it was laughable. Some of it just small errors. The names of 3 of my cousins were wrong, and one page said I had married a girl whose last name was Stark. Wrong it was Starks, and it said my sister had married a man named Spears, and his name was actually Spear. This material came from a cousin of my mother in California, I have no idea how or where she got it. I urged my mother to send it back with corrections, and she said it was too late said cousin was already in heaven. I once read that in following the genealogy of British Royalty paternity was wrong in about five per cent of cases. Maybe a fun thing to do, but consider any information suspect as far as accuracy goes.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
26-03-2016, 09:39 AM
Some of you might know I'm trying to find my mother's parents through Ancestry dot com. I have a couple of threads going about my search. The problem is that I don't know exactly where my mother was born, probably Canada. I'm not super sure what her birth name was. I don't know what her father's name was and the only information I have of her birth mother is that her name was Florence Young and that she was born in England but I have no idea when or where.

So I've gone down every avenue I could to try to solve this puzzle and the only thing I have left is to do a DNA test and place it on the ancestry website. I'm not sure how it works though. Does ancestry dot com match your DNA up with your cousins or do I have to somehow mess with that part of the search?

On my father's side of the family we can trace our family back to the 13th century with fairly detailed documentation. For generations they were fabric makers and had to document their tax and inventory. I also found some wills from 1450. They were also in court a few times. One of the court cases involved the ownership of a horse and the hedges between them and their neighbor. It's really quite funny.

Anyway.......if anyone has any information on the dna/ancestry dot com website I'd appreciate it. Goddammit! I'm gonna solve this family puzzle it it kills me! Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
27-03-2016, 08:42 PM
That is cool. Do it now while they are still around. I wish I had jumped on the opportunities to get to know more about many family members before they died, so seize the day and don't be afraid to ask anything.

Only site I know of is ancestry.com, I signed up there a while back, nothing interesting turned up except the information I added.