Heaven Sounds A Lot Like Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 11:42 AM
RE: Heaven Sounds A Lot Like Hell
(27-01-2014 11:40 AM)SaraMcKnight Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 11:36 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Laugh out load
Haha Vosur Tongue
But seriously though, most people (including me) have the attention span of a gold fish on here. Try to refrain from the "wall of text" unless you're dealing with a personal issue in the appropriate thread. Those all get full consideration.
Just friendly advice Smile

Thanks for the heads up, it's an essay I wrote that I thought I'd share with others. It's cool if you're not up for reading the whole thing.

There are a few people that read, but mostly if you post something along lines of the general consensus, it will be skimmed. Don't take it offensively, it's all fun and games Smile

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 11:44 AM
I must not be a "goldfish" , I did read it all and really enjoyed it. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
27-01-2014, 11:46 AM
(27-01-2014 11:44 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I must not be a "goldfish" , I did read it all and really enjoyed it. Thumbsup

^^see, there's a few Thumbsup

Atir aissom atir imon
27-01-2014, 12:13 PM
(27-01-2014 11:42 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(27-01-2014 11:40 AM)SaraMcKnight Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up, it's an essay I wrote that I thought I'd share with others. It's cool if you're not up for reading the whole thing.

There are a few people that read, but mostly if you post something along lines of the general consensus, it will be skimmed. Don't take it offensively, it's all fun and games Smile

No offense taken at all.
27-01-2014, 12:33 PM
(27-01-2014 11:44 AM)War Horse Wrote:  I must not be a "goldfish" , I did read it all and really enjoyed it. Thumbsup

Thanks, glad you did!
[+] 1 user Likes SaraMcKnight's post
08-02-2014, 11:10 AM
I read it all too and enjoyed it. I am a fan of good essays.

I have believed, ever since I was 5 or 6 years old, that even a dairy cow would get bored in heaven on the endless road to eternity.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
08-02-2014, 11:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 11:31 AM by Anjele.)
Nicely put, and welcome.

If some of the guys would have read all of your post they would have seen the mention of being an English teacher. May have explained all the words. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
08-02-2014, 11:32 AM
(08-02-2014 11:28 AM)Anjele Wrote:  If some of the guys would have read all of your post they would have seen the mention of being an English teacher. May have explained all the words. Tongue

Also a Physics teacher.

I got halfway through with the intention of returning to it later on (I was only popping by)
08-02-2014, 11:58 AM
I finally got around to finishing this post. This was a great read, makes one feel proud to be atheist.

I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I reference this post to explain why there are atheists to theists (without the need for debate)?

(27-01-2014 11:04 AM)SaraMcKnight Wrote:  You know, I’ve heard people argue that the parents who convince their children that the tyrannical man in the sky is real, are actually abusing them. I’m not totally convinced they’re right about that. There’s no physical harm, and the parents truly believe they’re helping their beloved child get to heaven. If I was someone who still believed in heaven and hell, I’d probably indoctrinate my kid too. But I do remember being afraid of the vivid nightmarish dreams of hell I’d often endure when I did or said something I knew He would object to. Even as an adult, I still had nightmares.

Serious question: Have you ever heard of emotional abuse?

When people say that forcing religion on a child is abuse, they (normally) don't mean the traditional "physical" abuse. They are talking about emotional.

Your own post is an example of this:
(27-01-2014 11:04 AM)SaraMcKnight Wrote:  But I do remember being afraid of the vivid nightmarish dreams of hell I’d often endure when I did or said something I knew He would object to. Even as an adult, I still had nightmares.

A good explanation can be found here.

Wikipedia Wrote:One specific meaning of the term religious abuse refers to psychological manipulation and harm inflicted on a person by using teachings or doctrines of that person’s religion. This is perpetrated by members of the same or similar faith, and includes the use of a position of authority within the religion over another person to inflict such harm. It is most prevalently directed at children and emotionally vulnerable adults, and motivations behind such abuse vary, but can be either well-intentioned or malicious.

Even well-intentioned religious abuse can have long-term psychological consequences. Causing the victim to be intensely fearful can induce that person to develop a specific phobia about the topic they were warned against, or develop a long-lasting depression. They may have an unshakable sense of shame that persists even when they have either grown up or left the church. The person can also be manipulated into avoiding a beneficial action (such as a medical treatment) or to engage in a harmful behavior.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
I think if you give immortality to everybody they will kill themselves eventually. Humans can't live forever unless you drastically change their brains or something. But I'm not sure it will be human anymore.