Heaven Sounds A Lot Like Hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
RE: Heaven Sounds A Lot Like Hell
hell is one of my fav ridiculous concepts, here is my standard post on it.

The hell they are talking about doesn't even exist in that capacity under Christian doctrine. hell is allegedly a place devoid of god, thus devoid of good, no fire, no pitchforks, no little demons running around, no eternity in pain...

Source is Reason, Faith and Tradition by Martin C. Albl, Chapter 7 page 188 – describing hell.

"We begin with a reminder of limitations of our language. Since hell, according to Christian doctrine, is a supernatural reality, it can only be described in analogies. Holy Scripture teaches us the essence of hell in images. When it speaks of the fire of hell, it is not to be understood in a grossly realistic sense. The images of fire and pain were ways of expressing the essential Christian understanding of hell – that it is a separation from God. We may define heaven as simply being with God, and hell, in contrast, is simply being without God. It is thus an existence without goodness and without meaning."

Drooling Drinking Beverage Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2014, 07:23 PM
(07-09-2014 07:19 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:17 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Blink the rocks in that link were stacked by humans.

You know that right? Consider

Yeah, that's their whole point. They see the universe and everything it contains as the stacked rocks, and thinks it's impossible for anyone to logically assume someone didn't "stack the rocks".

Yes, that is what I mean. It was a comparison. Yes I know humans stacked those =P
07-09-2014, 07:24 PM
When you KNOW and UNDERSTAND science, there isn't room for fairy tales fill the gaps.

And knowing the science behind it makes it more beautiful to me.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
(07-09-2014 07:23 PM)The Thinking Believer Wrote:  
(07-09-2014 07:19 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, that's their whole point. They see the universe and everything it contains as the stacked rocks, and thinks it's impossible for anyone to logically assume someone didn't "stack the rocks".

Yes, that is what I mean. It was a comparison. Yes I know humans stacked those =P

Took me a minute, I was reading quickly. I edited my post. I am glad to know that you know those weren't magically stacked. Was startling to think this was going to take loads of explaining if you think gawd did that. Big Grin

07-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Does Science have an origin?
07-09-2014, 07:38 PM
(07-09-2014 07:29 PM)The Thinking Believer Wrote:  Does Science have an origin?

Why would it need one?

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
07-09-2014, 08:16 PM
(07-09-2014 07:29 PM)The Thinking Believer Wrote:  Does Science have an origin?

In the beginning was the Question, and the Question was asked, and to Question was good.

And the Question gave rise to more Questions. Asking Questions was Good but seeking the Correct Answers was Holy. Thus the Scientific Method was born.

And it was Good.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
07-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Science and God are not necessarily incompatible, but one will not come to the conclusion of god through science. One may however come to the conclusion of science through god, depending on what or which god.

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-09-2014, 06:48 AM
(07-09-2014 07:08 PM)The Thinking Believer Wrote:  But what created Science? On a truly basic level Science is beautiful, mathematical, beneficial (largely) and complex beyond our capabilities. With something so vast as science and our universe and the natural beauty that surrounds us I feel naturally inclined to think there is something more. It's like, if you are out hiking and you come across a perfectly structured set of rocks that are all stacked on top of each other... http://www.google.ca/images?q=inukshuk+h...&oq=&gs_l=

Like that, logically you don't say wow, that is amazing. Look how it did that all by it self. Naturally you would think, oh, someone has been here before me or has made this so now I can see it. And so the same applies to the perfect universe/stars/sun/body construction/flowers/plants etc etc.

That's all I got right now.
How about rocks moving by themselves, would this be god? Just because something isn't fully understood by us, doesn't mean a deity would be responsible. In fact, an appeal to a god as an explanation is another way of saying "We don't understand".
How about if we try to understand and not surrender in our search for answers?
Intellectual surrender= god(s)

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
08-09-2014, 07:19 AM
(07-09-2014 07:19 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Yeah, that's their whole point. They see the universe and everything it contains as the stacked rocks, and thinks it's impossible for anyone to logically assume someone didn't "stack the rocks".

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2010/12/1...ed-stones/

Time + changing conditions = some pretty amazing things

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post