Heaven and The Problem of Evil

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Heaven and The Problem of Evil
(26-11-2013 10:16 AM)alpha male Wrote:  I'll consider your evidence if you have any, although it would be well off-topic. BTW, my point was about God's purposes, and works even if one considers the flood as allegorical.

Really? Boy, don't start something you can't finish. Trying to defend the Biblical Flood as described in the Book of Genesis? That's you against the consensus of practically all of the Earth sciences, physics, biblical scholarship, and ancient near-eastern studies.

As allegory, you can take the 'we are poor beings that fall short of the impossible standards being held to us by the one who made us imperfectly but could have done otherwise', which is mental subjugation and enslavement of the highest order. Or you can take it as the bollocks that it is; a simple popular story (arising from a smaller kernel of truth) crimped from earlier retelling's and shoehorned into the ancient Hebrew's stories because all of the 'cool' religions had their own flood stories at that time... Drinking Beverage

PS - Might want to be more careful about your code formatting in the future.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Interesting that you didn't respond to my pet peeve.
26-11-2013, 11:12 AM
(26-11-2013 11:08 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Interesting that you didn't respond to my pet peeve.

I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that I care?

26-11-2013, 11:17 AM
(26-11-2013 11:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that I care?
Actually I think I'm of the correct impression that you don't have a reasonable reply.
26-11-2013, 11:28 AM
(26-11-2013 10:16 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Here's a pet peeve of mine: atheist 1 uses the Bible to form a charge against God; Christian uses the Bible in defense of God; atheist 2 jumps in and says the Bible is worthless as evidence in reply to the Christian, but doesn't likewise say that the Bible is worthless as a source of charges against God in reply to atheist 1.

(26-11-2013 11:17 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Actually I think I'm of the correct impression that you don't have a reasonable reply.

Well, seeing as how you're too inept to piece this together for yourself, let me spell it out for you in painfully plain English. I don't find any of the arguments for the Biblical God compelling, and I'm willing to bet my (non-existent) eternal soul on the fact that he doesn't exist as described. So since god is bollocks, the the Bible isn't remotely evidence for anything divine; I have no compelling reason to take another atheist to task for arguing for a conclusion I already agree with. The point of an atheist using the Bible to argue against God usually comes from wanting to highlight an absurdity or contradiction within the framework. I don't have to buy into the framework to find it all bullshit. I've studied too much about the polytheistic pagan origin of your Yahweh Sabbaoth, one of the sons of El Elyon/El Shaddai and the patron deity of the land of Judea, to even think the Bible contains literal truth about an omni-max being who created the universe.

I've seen the man behind the curtain, while you're arguing about the whether or not the Wizard of Oz has the power to stop the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys or some other such nonsense. Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-11-2013, 11:43 AM
(26-11-2013 11:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  The point of an atheist using the Bible to argue against God usually comes from wanting to highlight an absurdity or contradiction within the framework.
If the atheist does so, it's only fair for the Christian to likewise use the Bible to dispute the alleged absurdity or contradiction.
26-11-2013, 12:04 PM
(26-11-2013 09:09 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 12:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Can people stop using the Flood as an example of anything but literary fiction, a least until there is any god-damn evidence for it? Dodgy
Do you think there's evidence for heaven? If not, why didn't you jump all over the OP for saying it causes problems?

Actually, I never asserted heaven was real. My OP is centered on the idea that the way most Christians talk about heaven and the way they talk about apologetics are not compatible. Heaven or God being real are not prerequisites; just the beliefs therein.
26-11-2013, 12:16 PM
(26-11-2013 12:04 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Actually, I never asserted heaven was real. My OP is centered on the idea that the way most Christians talk about heaven and the way they talk about apologetics are not compatible. Heaven or God being real are not prerequisites; just the beliefs therein.
Yes, that's my point.
26-11-2013, 12:22 PM
(26-11-2013 11:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I've seen the man behind the curtain, while you're arguing about the whether or not the Wizard of Oz has the power to stop the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys or some other such nonsense. Drinking Beverage

Dude. It is a flying monkey thread, so why are you so invested?

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-11-2013, 01:49 PM
(26-11-2013 12:22 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-11-2013 11:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I've seen the man behind the curtain, while you're arguing about the whether or not the Wizard of Oz has the power to stop the Wicked Witch of the West and her flying monkeys or some other such nonsense. Drinking Beverage

Dude. It is a flying monkey thread, so why are you so invested?

I'm not, but one particular monkey needed to be put back in it's cage... Drinking Beverage