28-05-2016, 11:10 AM
RE: Heaven or Hell? You be the judge!
"Boy this guy sure didn't have a lot of sex. What a loser."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
28-05-2016, 11:40 AM
I think that watching this life would be a hard way to make a decision unless there is a narrative explaining the thought process - the reasons for certain actions and choices. People sometimes do things that from the outside can look good or bad but without knowing the reason for that action you can't really judge that action.

With that aside, would you then have to keep score? Good things on one side of the scale and bad on the other? How many good things equal a bad?

This makes my head hurt.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-05-2016, 02:52 PM
(25-05-2016 03:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  "You reach the afterlife, but before you find out where you'll end up, you have to watch the entire life of someone and decide where they should go. What you don't know is all of your memories have been wiped and it's your own life you're watching."
What are you supposed to judge based on?
I mean, what is the criteria for getting into heaven?
Is it based on how many friends you have made through life?
How many sexual partners you have had?
Your carbon footprint?
When you have a criminal record?
Whether you followed a religion's rules?
If you were any good at cricket?

Is Heaven a good place to "live" or a "horrible" place?
What is Hell like?
Is hell about eternal torture? Should we be sending people to heaven merely to avoid them enduring eternal torture?

What's the point in an afterlife?

What's the point in judgement?

I don't get it!

BTW, if your mind has been wiped then how would you be capable of making any judgements?
28-05-2016, 03:05 PM
(25-05-2016 12:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  Obviously I have lived my life the way I think is right and hence I go to heaven, if that's what I want.
Well, I haven't lived a righteous life at all.

I could never be so pompous and self absorbed to think such a thing.
I don't even know the difference between right and wrong.

I've been getting an education, competing for work, competing for love(and sex, and family), I've been competing to accumulate wealth to better improve MY life, create opportunities for ME and my family.

My life has been pretty much a selfish life focused almost entirely on myself (and my family). I have no regrets on this focus. It isn't my place to fix the world, and I certainly wouldn't do that to my own detriment or to the detriment of my family.

People who do, do that, well that is what gets them happy. All the power to them.
But I don't consider them to be more righteous than me. In fact if anyone tells me that they are righteous then I hear some warning bells. They might perhaps want to interfer in my life and force me to live what they think to be a righteous life.

The righteous ought to go to their own planet and the non righteous to a different one.

I think before long the righteous planet will resemble hell, full of war, dictators and misery for all.
28-05-2016, 06:01 PM
(25-05-2016 03:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I found this on a random website today and it blew my mind a little bit because it's such an interesting idea:

"You reach the afterlife, but before you find out where you'll end up, you have to watch the entire life of someone and decide where they should go. What you don't know is all of your memories have been wiped and it's your own life you're watching."

I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree with your opinion about this scenario being "interesting".

I'm normally open to considering creative hypotheticals, but they must have some sort of relevance in the real world. This one is a sort of philosophical non sequitur in that you first have to accept the possibility of an "afterlife" before you can pose any questions.

It's as pointless as saying "if God were to exist, do you think praying would help heal your cancer?"

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-05-2016, 06:28 PM
I'd get bored half way through and wander off leaving myself stuck in limbo for all eternity. Probably for the best.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
29-05-2016, 07:48 AM
(25-05-2016 03:21 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I found this on a random website today and it blew my mind a little bit because it's such an interesting idea:

"You reach the afterlife, but before you find out where you'll end up, you have to watch the entire life of someone and decide where they should go. What you don't know is all of your memories have been wiped and it's your own life you're watching."

[Image: zP375x.gif]

If you've said the magic words and accepted Jesus as your savior, then none of it matters anyway. Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
29-05-2016, 08:08 AM
(29-05-2016 07:48 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

[Image: zP375x.gif]

If you've said the magic words and accepted Jesus as your savior, then none of it matters anyway. Facepalm
Where did it say anything about Christianity? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-05-2016, 08:43 AM
(29-05-2016 08:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-05-2016 07:48 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  If you've said the magic words and accepted Jesus as your savior, then none of it matters anyway. Facepalm
Where did it say anything about Christianity? Consider

Well to be fair, heaven and hell are Christian concepts. ... Well, come to think of it, I think Islam believes in a hell as well.
30-05-2016, 06:43 AM
The concepts of standing at the gates of heaven or getting pushed into the pit of hell are interesting to me.

Why does heaven need a gate ?
If people only go to one place or the other, then it would seem to me that the gate is there to keep people inside, imprisoned.

The pit, however doesn't have a gate and thus allows people to leave if you can climb out. Given that part, one might now see why heaven has a gate.

These two things also implies that even in the afterlife, god is just as powerless and relies on gates for security.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results