Heaven, pfft.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2012, 05:48 AM
Heaven, pfft.
These happy-hippie believers trying to push this version of eternal bliss where they assume the soul glories eternally in the presence of god, what a buncha fluff. I mean, they expect to have the same sense of self now, and have that last forevers? How do I know that's malarkey?

Google image search. Big Grin

It has thing at the bottom of each image returned, where it says, similar? It's like forever Gwynnies! Heart

Until of course I hafta back away from the compy - like now, after only twenty minutes - otherwise KA-BLOOEY goes the brain... silly theists. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-07-2012, 06:09 AM
RE: Heaven, pfft.
Check out Greta Christina's op-ed column in the June/July issue of Free Inquiry magazine. She spells out the various reasons why heavenly bliss has to involve annihilation of our individuality. For one thing, dramatic differences in viewpoints and personalities make us distinctively individual. If we're to be blissful, then conflicts between people must be abolished, she argues, in which case we can't retain individuality.

There are other equally good reasons why heaven can't exist, too interwoven and lengthy to reproduce here. Well worth a looksee.
[+] 1 user Likes Her Dotness's post
22-07-2012, 06:20 AM
First I go, she's one of them. Militant LGBT feminist. Tongue

But, that don't make my Gwynnies smile, so...

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2012/0...n-is-evil/

22-07-2012, 06:55 AM
I think that blog bit may have been a preliminary draft for her column. She goes into much more extensive detail in the column which unfortunately isn't among the items from the current issue that you can read online. You'll have to order a copy from the FI website or trot to your nearby Barnes & Noble for a copy.
22-07-2012, 07:03 AM
You mean, pay? Greta, is that you? Big Grin

22-07-2012, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 07:13 AM by Her Dotness.)
Trot to your nearby Barnes & Noble for the June/July Free Inquiry if you want a copy. I can generally find the previous issue on the newsstand until late in the first month following the issue date, so that may be the case for other B&N's than the one where I usually shop.

For obvious reasons, not everything in an issue is available online for free reading; her column wasn't.

So, if you want to read the column, you'll have to find a copy of the June/July at your public library if you are that incredibly fortunate, order one from the Council on Secular Humanism's website:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php...page=index

or cadge one by dashing to a Barnes and Noble before they change it out for the new issue.

Edit to add: (No, cheapass, it's not Greta. My spouse happens to be male and not named Ingrid. heh heh)
22-07-2012, 07:10 AM
You mean, go somewhere? Shocking

Outside?! Shocking

22-07-2012, 07:15 AM
(22-07-2012 07:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  You mean, go somewhere? Shocking

Outside?! Shocking
Yes, outside, me, you and Chas need to go for beer sometime Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
22-07-2012, 07:20 AM

Outside?! Shocking

Yeah, I hear tell there is such a place as outside, although if it exists somewhere beyond the area of my computer and fridge, you could fool me it's actually there. Blink
[+] 1 user Likes Her Dotness's post
22-07-2012, 07:22 AM
(22-07-2012 07:15 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  

Outside?! Shocking
Yes, outside, me, you and Chas need to go for beer sometime Smile

There's a pile of Rolling Rock right here in Attleboro right now. Nice and cold and tasty and stuff... Evil_monster