Heaven, pfft.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2012, 07:30 AM
RE: Heaven, pfft.
The discussion about the realities of Heaven could be shortened to the much simpler notion:-

Souls don't exist.

End of discussion. No need to deliberate the individuality of our eternal souls in a place of happiness.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2012, 07:34 AM
RC, you're quite the little dictator in your own private world, aren't you? Big Grin

Not that I disagree, but that argument doesn't go anywhere and alienates the opponent into a even more rigid mind set.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-07-2012, 07:36 AM
(22-07-2012 07:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 07:15 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  There's a pile of Rolling Rock right here in Attleboro right now. Nice and cold and tasty and stuff... Evil_monster
Wish I lived near Addelbrain Attelboro. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
22-07-2012, 07:40 AM
(22-07-2012 07:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  RC, you're quite the little dictator in your own private world, aren't you? Big Grin

Not that I disagree, but that argument doesn't go anywhere and alienates the opponent into a even more rigid mind set.
If the claim that 1+1=2 makes someone a dictator... then, so be it. Smile

Souls don't exist. They really don't.

As for my opponents... I make the claim that, if stuck in a lift, I could de-convert any sane human on the planet. That de-conversion would probably take them to atheism, although some might stick to agnosticism. But it would happen, given enough time. Religions are all meaningless because, regardless of whether or not there is a creator god, so-fucking-what? We have no souls, so our interaction with such a deity is restricted to our living years... and that interaction is non-existent.

1+1=2.
22-07-2012, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 22-07-2012 08:05 AM by houseofcantor.)
(22-07-2012 07:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 07:22 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
Wish I lived near Addelbrain Attelboro. Tongue

That's exactly what I thought when I moved here - Addled-boro. Big Grin

(22-07-2012 07:40 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(22-07-2012 07:34 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  RC, you're quite the little dictator in your own private world, aren't you? Big Grin

If the claim that 1+1=2 makes someone a dictator... then, so be it. Smile

Souls don't exist. They really don't.

As for my opponents... I make the claim that, if stuck in a lift, I could de-convert any sane human on the planet. That de-conversion would probably take them to atheism, although some might stick to agnosticism. But it would happen, given enough time. Religions are all meaningless because, regardless of whether or not there is a creator god, so-fucking-what? We have no souls, so our interaction with such a deity is restricted to our living years... and that interaction is non-existent.

1+1=2.

1+1=2 because it is axiomatic, not because it is true. See Peano's axioms and Godel's Incompleteness. Tongue

True enough - and atheists hate to hear it - but we take it on faith. Evil_monster

EDIT: Even better - Addled, bro. Cool

22-07-2012, 09:10 AM
(22-07-2012 07:30 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  Souls don't exist.

Think they very well might, but never for very long and never independent of a brain.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
22-07-2012, 05:45 PM
heaven!

would be
you
to me
to me
to me

heaven
would be
spaces
in between
i to i to i
good
good bye

heaven
would be
you
to me
and us
an all
i could feel
in me
in you
in we
for
ever
more

and would we tire
of our fire
of our hopes
to conspire
to make what would
be future
or nought
for is wrought
fear in our
self serving
sanctity
of we
and our needs
as was
as will
as what
will be

heaven is naught
but what
fearlessness
has wrought
in boast
a toast
to me
and we
and
my gwynnies

22-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I have a few problems with the paradises oft mentioned in many of the worlds major religions, some of them have already been mentioned. I will assume we are talking about the vague eternal bliss and not any particular religions that involves specific details or deities

I have thought about the incompatibility of people and what might happen if you had died somehow, but your partner or your child or somebody you deeply cared for had yet to die, I concluded that we would have to each have our own individual heaven, an entire self contained universe, where the people around you were merely projections, simulations of what you wanted them to be. That to me would not be a paradise, it would be a prison.

Also, and this strikes much more of a cord for me, I do not want eternal life. Few people, many religious but also non believers stop to think about what words like eternity really mean, as they are often banded about so cheaply. Of course it would be a dream to begin with, to not get sick or injured, but as the years dragged on, into centuries, you would tire, there is only so much you can see, so much you can do, before it all becomes the same, there is only so much you can see, so much you can do, even in a paradise, especially in a paradise, where you no longer know sweet the wine is because you do not have the bitterness of the lemon to compare it with, this happens even in the real world. A humorous but most likely far from accurate portrayal of this is the character Wowbagger the infinitely prolonged, from Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, who after achieving immortality through entirely accidental means, comes to utterly despise his eternal existence. In reality though, I suspect the psychological effects of immortality would be much more damaging, as boredom gradually fades to despair, and inevitably insanity. While it may be possible to put off this process for a considerable time, it goes without saying that eternity is significantly longer.

And when I consider it like that, I feel it much better to have a few short years of hopefully happiness, than a long slow eternity of misery, life without end loses its meaning, it is the scarcity of something that makes it worth preserving. So, while I intend to try and live a happy and long life, I will go to my grave, hopefully, not scared by the fear of the void, but happy, knowing that I have escaped a fate worse than death.

If anyone has managed to read all of my rambling, I congratulate you, you deserve a medal, handshake and celebratory confectionery item of your choosing, I would love any feedback, positive or negative, as I'm still relatively new here, but please, can you furnish any criticism you have with suggestions of how i can improve it, thank you.

As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil which they set out to destroy.
- Christopher Dawson

Battle not with monsters, lest you become a monster.
- Friedrich Nietzsche
22-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Far less rambling than my drunk-assed poetry, Epsilon. Thumbsup

I don't see anything to criticize there; you put the brainpan to it where so few do. Wink

22-07-2012, 11:17 PM
(22-07-2012 05:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  heaven!

would be
you
to me
to me
to me

heaven
would be
spaces
in between
i to i to i
good
good bye

heaven
would be
you
to me
and us
an all
i could feel
in me
in you
in we
for
ever
more

and would we tire
of our fire
of our hopes
to conspire
to make what would
be future
or nought
for is wrought
fear in our
self serving
sanctity
of we
and our needs
as was
as will
as what
will be

heaven is naught
but what
fearlessness
has wrought
in boast
a toast
to me
and we
and
my gwynnies

Greta, is that you?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel