Heavy Depressive Episodes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2012, 10:34 PM
Heavy Depressive Episodes.
Had a few of these lately; maybe three days, then back to reasonably normal/mediocre.

As its been a problem all my adult life I am not expecting too much, especially as I am getting
quite old. Big problem organizing ahead as I never know how I'll feel.....

Joined a laughter group three years ago and that helped a bit, also work out hard when I'm not down
in anticipation of bad episodes. Major lesson learn't -----no matter how bad you feel don't take it out on others!
In my case that's pretty easy as I get withdrawn not aggro.

Just been googling the side effects, down sides, risk factors etc of anti depressants......God that's really depressing Shocking
The profiles haven't improved all that much.

Been on a medium dose of Moclobemide (not available U.S) its like the old MAOIS minus all the food restrictions.
Have just upped the dose to 600mgs with 900 the max.........

Was really down yesterday, sort of what's the point status, but some improvement today.
I practise a lot of cognitive therapy and find that of some help though I believe depression is essentially a chemical imbalance. As a cringing coward, I don't think I'd ever top myself and I know the really bad days have always passed.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day and we all have to keep on keeping on! Sad Laughat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2012, 10:47 PM
RE: Heavy Depressive Episodes.
(08-05-2012 10:34 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Had a few of these lately; maybe three days, then back to reasonably normal/mediocre.

As its been a problem all my adult life I am not expecting too much, especially as I am getting

Joined a laughter group three years ago and that helped a bit, also work out hard when I'm not down
in anticipation of bad episodes. Major lesson learn't -----no matter how bad you feel don't take it out on others!

Just been googling the side effects, down sides, risk factors etc of anti depressants......God that's really depressing Shocking

Been on a medium dose of Moclobemide (not available U.S) its like the old MAOIS minus all the food restrictions.

Was really down yesterday, sort of what's the point status, but some improvement today.
I practise a lot of cognitive therapy and find that of some help though I believe depression is essentially a chemical imbalance. As a cringing coward, I don't think I'd ever top myself and I know the really bad days have always passed.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day and we all have to keep on keeping on! Sad Laughat
The ol' clinical depression sucks (I'm not a sufferer but have had situational depression before) but I do sometimes get the old 'what's the point' feeling Dodgy

All I can do is...... Hug

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
08-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Lexapro keeps me from opening a vein. It's my best friend.

Took me years to finally just accept the fact that I need something and Lexapro works for me where others didn't.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
08-05-2012, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 11:24 PM by Mr Woof.)
(08-05-2012 10:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Lexapro keeps me from opening a vein. It's my best friend.

Took me years to finally just accept the fact that I need something and Lexapro works for me where others didn't.
Thanks Anjie; I took Serzone for a few years and it helped quite a bit.
Unfortunately it caused a spate of fatal liver failures and was barred.
Its true what you say, some people can be clinically depressed and think its just their nature.
Yes anti- depressants certainly need to be tailor made...................... Shy
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
08-05-2012, 11:27 PM
(08-05-2012 10:47 PM)aurora Wrote:  
(08-05-2012 10:34 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Had a few of these lately; maybe three days, then back to reasonably normal/mediocre.

The ol' clinical depression sucks (I'm not a sufferer but have had situational depression before) but I do sometimes get the old 'what's the point' feeling Dodgy

All I can do is...... Hug
Glad you're not a sufferer Aurora............I think its much higher in N.S.W. Wink
09-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Having dealt with really bad depression almost my whole life, I can understand you (both MrWoof and Anjele)
Now let me give you guys a huge hug
[Image: tumblr_kz13rrlluA1qb8ldfo1_400.jpg]
I don't know what your problems are, why you are depressive, but check out my post here http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid108833
I explained a lot of things that helped me over the years. And I have never really taken medication. I have tried it but I hated how they made me feel weird and not like myself. With the things I posted there, I got over most of it, and the rest was talking to people in the same or similar position with similar problems.
I hope it helps you guys over the heavy moments Smile

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Leela's post
09-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Hey Brother Woof...hang in there, man. You're not alone and I feel like I've been right there with you the past few days myself. Maybe it was the effects of the full moon. Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Hey Woof,

Just because you don't have the courage to off yourself doesn't mean that depression can't completely debilitate you. It can. It can stop you from living the life you want to live and it feels really bad, so it is a painful suffering.

Good luck to you.

Ed
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
(12-05-2012 08:07 PM)Egor Wrote:  Hey Woof,

Just because you don't have the courage to off yourself doesn't mean that depression can't completely debilitate you. It can. It can stop you from living the life you want to live and it feels really bad, so it is a painful suffering.

Good luck to you.

Ed
(12-05-2012 08:07 PM)Egor Wrote:  It can to varying degrees, but even really bad feeling can give impetus to insights and ways to overcome, without which we can remain stagnantly just barely on the simmer............I always try to look at ways to learn from my depressions; this can cover a myriad of options. Smile
12-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Woofy - I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Often, a lot of depressive episodes tend to run in cycles... and the weather doesn't help much either -pressure systems have been found to screw with depression.

I have a couple a friends who suffer different degrees of clinical depression and if you've been off meds for a while, you might think of checking with a doctor and getting back on. Try something new -what they are doing today with meds- they are improving even more than just two years ago. It's really startling.

My best buddy has completely turned his life around because of Lexapro so, I can relate to Anjele saying it's her best friend. And yes, nothing else worked for my buddy either after several years of stopping one thing, and starting something else, just trying to find the right thing. He said it was so worth going through all that just to find his Lexapro. I think so too.

He's not perfect (shit, who is?)- he has a heavy-sad couple of days now and then - but it's not every day anymore -and it's not nearly as bad. It's turned into just a condition that he knows he has, and he can now manage it quite well. On a rare occasion when he has an extra sad day, we talk about it - he says it helps.

You sound as if you know you'll get through this run of heavy stuff... I think you will to. I'm glad you are able to come here to let us know. It's great that you can take charge of yourself the way you have -I would urge you to stick with the research and contact a doctor about some of the newer meds. It never hurts to search for something you know you need.

Damn, I wish I could make one of those little huggy smilies... fucking server. Dodgy

We're all here if you need some friendly words, Woofy.
Take care.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein