Heavy Depressive Episodes.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 01:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Heavy Depressive Episodes.
(12-05-2012 08:07 PM)Egor Wrote:  Hey Woof,

Just because you don't have the courage to off yourself doesn't mean that depression can't completely debilitate you.

I see that you still have some work to do with not being an asshole, Ed. ... No biggie, we can help you with that. That post was you being an asshole Ed. You wanna accuse Girly of being a coward for not offing myself? It takes all the courage I can muster to NOT off myself.

(12-05-2012 09:47 PM)kim Wrote:  Hi Woofy - I'm sorry you're feeling so down. Often, a lot of depressive episodes tend to run in cycles... and the weather doesn't help much either ...

You learn to weather the seasons and cycles. At least that's what Girly's learned.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-05-2012, 11:46 PM
(08-05-2012 10:34 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Had a few of these lately; maybe three days, then back to reasonably normal/mediocre.

As its been a problem all my adult life I am not expecting too much, especially as I am getting
quite old. Big problem organizing ahead as I never know how I'll feel.....

Joined a laughter group three years ago and that helped a bit, also work out hard when I'm not down
in anticipation of bad episodes. Major lesson learn't -----no matter how bad you feel don't take it out on others!
In my case that's pretty easy as I get withdrawn not aggro.

Just been googling the side effects, down sides, risk factors etc of anti depressants......God that's really depressing Shocking
The profiles haven't improved all that much.

Been on a medium dose of Moclobemide (not available U.S) its like the old MAOIS minus all the food restrictions.
Have just upped the dose to 600mgs with 900 the max.........

Was really down yesterday, sort of what's the point status, but some improvement today.
I practise a lot of cognitive therapy and find that of some help though I believe depression is essentially a chemical imbalance. As a cringing coward, I don't think I'd ever top myself and I know the really bad days have always passed.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day and we all have to keep on keeping on! Sad Laughat

Mr Woof

1) Don't ever, ever, EVER give up. No matter how bad things are today, the sun will rise tomorrow and, often, your problems of today will not seem so great then.

2) Get some exercise. Go to the gym and lift weights. Run 3 miles. I know that your instincts will be to do the opposite when you're depressed but fight your way through it and go exercise. Making a habit of this is more effective than any drug you can be prescribed and a lot safer, too!

3) Be a Tigger and not an Eor. I know that sounds like total fucking bullshit but it really does work. Some people in this world are just naturally upbeat and snap out of anything life throws at em. This skill can be learned and practiced. Life is a piece of shit. It really is. But cultivating an attitude of fuck-it-you-can't-break-me-let's-go-have-fun will go a long ways. Think about fun things to do and do them. Hang out with friends. Think positive.

4) 90% of life is bullshit. You're problem is that, as an atheist, you're a pretty smart cookie, see this stuff and you get bogged down by it. You're born, spend your formative years in a stultifying educational environment, go to work where your boss and co-workers are insane, and have to swim in a sea of assholes seemingly bent on making your life miserable. In other words, you're pretty normal. A lot of this stuff, you have no control over so you can't worry about it.

To be continued....

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
14-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I tend to find myself rereading Sartre and other Absurdists when I've battened down the hatches to weather the storm. Can't vouch that they help any, but they're always worth a read. Wink

“The absurd man will not commit suicide; he wants to live, without relinquishing any of his certainty, without a future, without hope, without illusions … and without resignation either. He stares at death with passionate attention and this fascination liberates him. He experiences the 'divine irresponsibility' of the condemned man.” - Sartre

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post