"Hebrews says you have to believe first" -Pastor

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 08:26 AM
"Hebrews says you have to believe first" -Pastor
I met with a few pastors since I last wrote about it on here. It was meeting the senior pastor of theChurch on strayer, Tony Scott that I found the most amusing though.

For evidence, he pointed out 3 things.
1. Lady fell Saturday, broke her wrist, prayed Sunday and it was healed. X-Rays proved it was broken Sat, healed Monday.
2. NASA found lost day to begin space program from looking at the bible.
3. They recently found chariots and soldiers at the bottom of the red sea.

For the first claim, he was unable to provide the x-rays because it was over 40 years ago. I told him I would have kept them for evidence.

Second one was a essenctially something spread over chain mail etc, easily debunked.

The the 3rd claim was from a Satire site world news daily. http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/red-sea-...al-exodus/

In the other part of the discussion, he tried to tell me that I was going about it all wrong, you have to believe first, then you see the evidence. I explained to him this is textbook confirmation bias, to which he said "It's not confirmation bias, that's just how god works." I was definitely expecting a little more out of a pastor of 40 years as I could put together a lot better argument for Christianity. Facepalm

Needless to say, as I was leaving his $12M building I realized that I was doing everything all wrong, and converted to Christianity, I will be starting a church soon and accepting donations. Drooling

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
12-02-2015, 08:32 AM
RE: "Hebrews says you have to believe first" -Pastor
How to be a prophet --- for fun and profit..

Signed

The Man Behind the Pulpit.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
12-02-2015, 08:56 AM
(12-02-2015 08:26 AM)microterf Wrote:  In the other part of the discussion, he tried to tell me that I was going about it all wrong, you have to believe first, then you see the evidence. I explained to him this is textbook confirmation bias, to which he said "It's not confirmation bias, that's just how god works." I was definitely expecting a little more out of a pastor of 40 years as I could put together a lot better argument for Christianity. Facepalm

Yeah, presupposition is a huge part of their world view. It's how they shield their views from skeptics. When you believe ridiculous things and people start asking the hard questions, the response if to make these ridiculous beliefs inscrutable, not to actually examine them. That's when people leave the faith, and we can't have that.

As far as actually responding to him, I'd "prove" leprechauns. Lay out the whole pot of gold at the end of the rainbow thing to him, and then tell him that rainbows are proof of leprechauns. When he disagrees, tell him that if he believed in leprechauns, he'd believe your explanations for rainbows instead of the scientific conspiracies about light refraction. Also, tell him a friend of a friend actually did find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, but that was 40 years ago, and he's long since spent it.

I love the amount of compartmentalization employed when they can see how ludicrous the whole leprechaun thing is, yet think their religion is the really real deal.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
12-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Some of them really do believe that too. "That" being that confirmation bias is necessary, and they see nothing wrong with that.

To him, that isn't satire about the chariots at the bottom of the Red Sea, it is the truth trying to be suppressed by a secular world.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
This is what's so troubling about religion in general, it's generally no different from a basic scam operation.

1. Tell a person things they want to hear.
2. Convince a person to support you financially so you can continue saying things they want to hear.
3. Profit- completely tax exempt and under no obligation to report your finances to any authority on how you spend the money.

What could go wrong?

I've been told that that is "looking at man, and not god".

No shit Sherlock, and those "men" should be locked up for running a scam.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post