"Heidekneutermentaliteit"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2011, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2011 01:48 PM by Observer.)
Question "Heidekneutermentaliteit"
Could you help me with the flowing question?

I am looking for a term that exists in Dutch but I have no way of translating it in English. The term is "Heidekneutermentaliteit". Translated literally it means "heathlandlinnetmentality". Now that doesn’t make much sense does it.

It is a mildly negative term to describe less fanatic and rather unharmful narrow-mindedness.

Examples of "Heidekneutermentaliteit"

*Do you know the scene from the fellowship of the ring where Frodo and Sam walk away from Hobbiton. At a certain moment Sam stops and says to Frodo. "This is it, if I walk one step further, I've never been this far from home."
typical something people with the "HKM" would say.

*Thinking waffles are an important export factor to the world economy.

*Thinking your local district dialect is a real language and therefore publish a dictionary.

*Thinking your village soccer team called "The Cauliflower kickers" has a bit of world-class and therefore state it should change it's name to "FC Cauliflower"

*Saying that someone who comes from a "city" 80Km further to do a repair needs to open a second branch here so he is "from the neighbourhood"

*Thinking your business made it, because you are now able to "export" your product to a city 30Km further.

Bear in mind that people who say these things, don’t say it because they are stupid, but just because they have a very narrow perspective.

Is there a term for this?

Why do I ask? I'd like to write a piece about the rather exceptional political situation in Belgium at the moment, and that can't be explained without "Heidekneutermentaliteit".

Oh, and the examples I gave... I am not making those upExclamation Honestly!

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
RE: A spesial day fore me
All I can think of for that is "hillbilly" or "cave dweller"

Like someone who is stuck in their own ways (the heathland)?

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2011, 08:45 PM
here we call them "rednecks"
09-02-2011, 08:03 PM
"narrow-minded inflated self-importance"? Wink Sounds like the locals here. I will let it sit in my brain a while.

I love all encompassing words like that, German has a few of them. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
19-02-2011, 07:52 AM (This post was last modified: 19-02-2011 08:15 AM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: "Heidekneutermentaliteit"
Still trying to think of a correct term for your examples, but your description would be pettiness need to think of traits your examples share for a closer word. Pettiness is more negative than your examples.

A word that seems to share your example but isn't common English is piffle
http://www.wordnik.com/words/Piffle
It's mainly a silly way of talking but also can mean saying silly ideas. I feel there is a better word.

To dramatize is to add importance to a situation. make it dramatic.

You know more about the word than I do so if any of these seems similar.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-02-2011, 04:12 PM
RE: "Heidekneutermentaliteit"
(19-02-2011 07:52 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  A word that seems to share your example but isn't common English is piffle
http://www.wordnik.com/words/Piffle
Thanks for the contribution but... No... Piffle is about language, not about mentality. (it translates as "Leuteren")
Interesting site though.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.