Hell........

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
15-01-2011, 05:28 PM

Hell........
I'm dying, and I can't help but continually wonder what happens when our brains die or if anything happens at all... and the thought of hell keeps popping up in my mind quite frequently.. you know, the place where you suffer for all eternity for choosing to think differently than what a book tells you to... It would just suck If I suddenly woke up to find myself being raped by Satan.. I know the idea of hell is preposterous, but do any of you ever think about it as a slight possibility..

gimme some reasons to why It is nonsense Huh and I'd also like someone to mention all of the other idea's of afterlives there are... quick.. before I die >.<
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Speiraz's post
15-01-2011, 05:46 PM
RE: Hell........
Are you dying in the sense that we're all dying, or do you mean you are suffering from a terminal illness, and you are expecting to die soon? I am really open about talking about death, so if I am getting too personal, please don't hesitate to tell me to mind my business. I really won't be offended.

As for hell, I can only think of one reason why it's nonsense. Simply put, there's nothing to reasonably suggest that it exists. I fear hell about as much as I fear a giant soda can hurling into the earth and obliterating it. (I am imagining a Mountain Dew can, but any would suffice)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2011, 05:49 PM
(15-01-2011 05:28 PM)Speiraz Wrote:  gimme some reasons to why It is nonsense

For the same reason that saying "Santa's workshop is in the Andromeda galaxy" is nonsense.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
15-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Hello there, first of all I think going to hell is the most unfair and pointless punishment within judeo-christianism. Why? Well thats because the main purpose of punishment is punishing (obviously) but at the same time a punishment is meant to correct and/or rehabilitate someone, when the punishment its eternal it becomes pointless because you will suffer for all "eternity" with no chance of getting out and start over again as a rehabilitated person. For example, your son breaks a jar, and you as his father lock him up in a dark closet for all eternity, that is pointless and unfair, and you as a father become an unfair bloodthirsty tyrant like the biblical god. That's my opinion. Peace.
P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2011, 06:28 PM

(15-01-2011 05:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Are you dying in the sense that we're all dying, or do you mean you are suffering from a terminal illness, and you are expecting to die soon? I am really open about talking about death, so if I am getting too personal, please don't hesitate to tell me to mind my business. I really won't be offended.

As for hell, I can only think of one reason why it's nonsense. Simply put, there's nothing to reasonably suggest that it exists. I fear hell about as much as I fear a giant soda can hurling into the earth and obliterating it. (I am imagining a Mountain Dew can, but any would suffice)

Dying from illness and I am expecting to die soon...Unless God wants to save me Tongue My thoughts about hell and death used to be very seldom when I wasn't in this situation of dying, but the closer I get to death the more intense these thoughts get. I know that no matter what knowledge I have, It's not going to change what's going to happen.. I'm just looking for emotional support while I'm still alive Smile

230,000 people die everyday... I wonder what happens to them, if anything. Did they choose the right religion? is any religion right? Why do people continue to support a being that supposedly causes millions of people to suffer for eternity. That is worse than every bad thing every person has ever done on earth combined.. If this were a person doing this they would be the most hated person on earth, but because this being has the God status people are willing to turn a blind eye to it as they are terrified of this happening to them, it's like a child with an abusive father and they are too scared to do anything about it.

It seems to me that religious texts such as the bible were made for controlling purposes, just like the law. If you don't abide by the rules of the bible, you suffer because of your actions. If you don't abide by the rules of the law, you suffer because of your actions

I used to get sucked in my those mediums on tv "talking to the dead" but after watching several series of TV programmes with psychological illusionist Derren Brown, I have realised that they are all frauds.. Ill link to one of his TV shows. Its called "Derren Brown: Messiah" He travels to America to show us how easily people can be conned into believing things. he convinces people he can talk to the dead, accurately describes people's medical history, he instantly converts several atheists, he convinces people that a cheap plastic box can record your dreams, he convinces "psychic professionals" that he is psychic. It is very interesting, I hope the video will play for everybody.

http://www.blinkbox.com/Free/Television/...01-Messiah
The funny thing is that people who believe in the bible think they will get into heaven just for believing when they break the commandments

1. Many of them will steal, like illegally downloading copyrighted content, and then they just convince themselves that god will forgive
2. Millions of them work on the Sabbath, and then they will just convince themselves that god will forgive
3. Many of them make wrongful use of the name of the lord... OMG.... Tongue
4.. in the bible passages Matthew 7:14 & Luke 13:23-4 It says that only a few will make it into heaven, and then they just convince themselves that god will allow them in.

One thing that is annoying is how they say, "well the old testament doesn't count because Jesus came and changed things".. The following passages state that the old testament is still valid and should be taught, 2 timothy 3:16, Revelation 22:18-19. Matthew 5:17-19. So everything in the old testament still counts
Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2011, 08:09 PM
My mom got cancer and became religious. My diabetic sister got worse and turned religious. And I deployed to Iraq twice and became more of an atheist. People tend to show their true spirit when facing their own morality. Fear is a powerful thing.

People seem to think atheism is some kind of fad. That when things get serious, then we drop the whole charade and admit that we actually believe. I don't see myself believing in religion again anymore than I would suddenly believe that 2 + 2 = 5.

As far as hell, it's always been the most silly of the beliefs. So God created Satan, and since God is omniscient, God KNEW what Satan would do, therefor creating Satan for the purpose of betraying him. Then God created us, designing our nature to be easily susceptible to the things he himself deemed as sins. So God is a malicious dick who delights in seeing his children suffer for eternity. And how can heaven and hell exist... since my mother would be in heaven knowing that I'm burning in hell, negating the entire concept of heaven.

Hell is a genius way to ensure your population remains obedient. The worst pain imaginable for eternity. You can't get much more than that, can you? The loving god doesn't even give us slight pain or a purgatory, but the exact same punishment as serial child rapists and murderers. The closest thing to logic I've ever heard is that hell is just "the absence of god" as in, you are forced to be outside the kingdom of heaven. It's not bad, but your are deprived of good. You are forced to ride coach instead of first class.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
15-01-2011, 08:46 PM
The best description of Hell that I ever heard was: it's an infinite punishment for finite crimes - and the absolute worst of these crimes is disbelief.

Rapists, murderers, child molesters, can all be forgiven for the worst of their actions. But if you say "I don't believe in Jesus" then somehow you're eternally screwed. It's a ridiculous proposition, and a conviction of a thought crime, no less. If a benevolent God exists, he should judge your actions and not your beliefs.

Not that there's any reason to believe any of it exists.

I am sorry to hear about your situation and hope the best for you.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
15-01-2011, 09:45 PM
I think that when it comes to possibilites with death that Occam's razor is of great use.

If someone proposes a theory that requires an extraordinary assumption we can safely say their odds of being correct are far less then paper thin. I have never heard of a description of what happens after death that does not involve extraordinary assertions but one.

That one is simply that nothing happens. It seems to be at the very least correct or not the most likely possibility as it's the one that relies on the fewest extraordinary claims.

I am very sorry to hear of your condition and I honestly wish you all the best.
15-01-2011, 10:32 PM
I am very sorry to hear that you are dying. Also, and to me of far more significance, I appreciate you talking to us. You may be looking for insight, and perhaps our thoughts will give you some, but whats more is that your insights may give us perspective. I do hope you can stick around for a while. For your sake, for mine, and for everyone here. Thank you.

My brother, also an atheist, is a writer. It's not his profession, but I think it should be. He wrote a story once. The story was about a man who had been "cursed" with the memory of his future. He remembered his future like we remember our past. Sometimes clear, sometimes distorted. What struck me about the story was at one point, someone asked him what he remembered about his death. He said he could remember it no better than everyone else remembers their birth. My brother and I talked about that, and he got the idea from thinking about his death, and what it would be like to die. His conclusion was that it would feel the same as what it felt like before he was born. That makes sense to me. Hell would be suffering. How can that be when there is nothing? It may seem dark to think of it that way, but it gives me comfort. It's always so hard to imagine just not "being", but that's just what death is. Not being. It won't be angels and harps, and it won't be burning in eternal flame. It will just be done. To me, that's not so bad. I'll do the best I can while I'm here, and when I'm gone, it's what I leave behind that counts.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-01-2011, 10:43 PM
I always have to explain to my family that death being like before you were born is not a depressing thing. Absolute nothing is peace. There are no emotions, no thoughts, no pain, etc, just like how it was before you were born. Another concept of heaven that doesn't make sense: anything lasting for eternity cannot eternally remain good/pleasurable. Even if heaven is eating your favorite pie, listening to your favorite music in your favorite place... 100,000,000 years from now, that pie, music, and place will be your own personal hell.

And don't give me that "well it's heaven so it doesn't get old, you're always happy" crap. Sounds like heaven is a form of lobotomy, keeping you drugged up so you can't think or feel anything but happy.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."