Hell In The Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2013, 11:44 PM
RE: Hell In The Old Testament
(17-05-2013 02:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 02:10 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Where the fuck did that goalpost just go? It was here a second ago....
The goal post has always been the same, Love is real, Love is good. The only thing moving is the futile argument to try and defeat it.

For the traditionalist Christians on here, I have a question for you, if Hell is so important, and a place to be avoided at all costs, why does God not bother once to mention it in the Old Testament?

Sure, the English WORD Hell is used a few times, but this is mostly a mistranslation from "Sheol", the common grave of mankind. Besides, if God was trying to speak about Hell as we understand it today, don't you think he would describe the place?, as in an eternal pit of fire and torment?, but he doesn't, it's not until the NT Where a place of everlasting punishment is described.

The closest thing we get in the OT is a verse from Daniel which says something like;

"In that day, multitudes who are sleeping in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, others to eternal shame and contempt."

But even that's pretty vague.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-05-2013, 02:20 PM
(17-05-2013 11:44 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 02:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  The goal post has always been the same, Love is real, Love is good. The only thing moving is the futile argument to try and defeat it.

For the traditionalist Christians on here, I have a question for you, if Hell is so important, and a place to be avoided at all costs, why does God not bother once to mention it in the Old Testament?

Sure, the English WORD Hell is used a few times, but this is mostly a mistranslation from "Sheol", the common grave of mankind. Besides, if God was trying to speak about Hell as we understand it today, don't you think he would describe the place?, as in an eternal pit of fire and torment?, but he doesn't, it's not until the NT Where a place of everlasting punishment is described.

The closest thing we get in the OT is a verse from Daniel which says something like;

"In that day, multitudes who are sleeping in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, others to eternal shame and contempt."

I already suggested Isaiah 66:24. It speaks of the fire that is never quenched and where the worm never dies.
19-05-2013, 04:56 PM
(19-05-2013 02:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-05-2013 11:44 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  For the traditionalist Christians on here, I have a question for you, if Hell is so important, and a place to be avoided at all costs, why does God not bother once to mention it in the Old Testament?

I already suggested Isaiah 66:24. It speaks of the fire that is never quenched and where the worm never dies.

I hope worms never learn of this.

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
19-05-2013, 05:00 PM
(19-05-2013 04:56 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 02:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  I already suggested Isaiah 66:24. It speaks of the fire that is never quenched and where the worm never dies.

I hope worms never learn of this.

I had to dissect a worm once in a biology class.

It was ooky. Rolleyes

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-05-2013, 05:02 PM
(19-05-2013 05:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 04:56 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I hope worms never learn of this.

I had to dissect a worm once in a biology class.

It was ooky. Rolleyes

We had to eat one in Sociology. It was ok.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-05-2013, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2013 05:16 PM by fstratzero.)
[Image: QmPP9dJ.jpg]

-Baron d'Holbach-
19-05-2013, 05:10 PM
(19-05-2013 05:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 05:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I had to dissect a worm once in a biology class.

It was ooky. Rolleyes

We had to eat one in Sociology. It was ok.

I ate the worm at the bottom of tequila bottle.

Well I first drank the bottle.

Then the cat in the hat came by bouncing like tigger and gave me a sugar cube.

I will not say what happened after that.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-05-2013, 05:13 PM
(19-05-2013 05:08 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  [Image: SiwboII.jpg]

Stop that.
Dodgy

19-05-2013, 05:16 PM
(19-05-2013 05:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 05:08 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  [Image: SiwboII.jpg]

Stop that.
Dodgy

Love is gawd.

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-05-2013, 05:56 PM
(19-05-2013 05:16 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(19-05-2013 05:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Stop that.
Dodgy

Love is gawd.

I need a drink. Shocking