RE: Hell In The Old Testament
(14-05-2013 02:23 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Isaiah 66:

See, the Lord is coming with fire,
and his chariots are like a whirlwind;
he will bring down his anger with fury,
and his rebuke with flames of fire.
16 For with fire and with his sword
the Lord will execute judgment on all people,
and many will be those slain by the Lord.

Wait... is this the same Lord fella who's supposed to be all loving and shit? 'cause this guy here^^ sounds pretty pissed off. Somehow I'm just not feeling his whole love vibe in this passage. Evil_monster

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
14-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Meh, that's tame.

"I have wiped out many nations, devastating their fortress walls and towers. Their cities are now deserted; their streets are in silent ruin. There are no survivors to even tell what happened. I thought, 'Surely they will have reverence for me now! Surely they will listen to my warnings, so I won't need to strike again.' But no; however much I punish them, they continue their evil practices from dawn till dusk and dusk till dawn." So now the LORD says: "Be patient; the time is coming soon when I will stand up and accuse these evil nations. For it is my decision to gather together the kingdoms of the earth and pour out my fiercest anger and fury on them. All the earth will be devoured by the fire of my jealousy. "On that day I will purify the lips of all people, so that everyone will be able to worship the LORD together. My scattered people who live beyond the rivers of Ethiopia will come to present their offerings. (Zephaniah 3:6-10 NLT)

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
14-05-2013, 07:49 PM
(14-05-2013 07:45 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 02:23 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Isaiah 66:

Wait... is this the same Lord fella who's supposed to be all loving and shit? 'cause this guy here^^ sounds pretty pissed off. Somehow I'm just not feeling his whole love vibe in this passage. Evil_monster

Aw, come on now, it's just tough love! Angel

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-05-2013, 07:53 PM
(14-05-2013 03:03 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Russian scientists conducting deep hole drilling experiments in Siberia break through the earth's crust at more than 14 kilometers. They find it unusually hot at that depth (2,000 degrees F). As a part of trying to listen to movement in the earth's crust, they drop a microphone into the drilled hole and are horrified when they realize they are hearing the voices of millions of people crying out in torment. Terrified, they decide to abandon the project, but not before a bat-like apparition arises from the hole and gives them a message.

Doc

Damn you Doc!!
I won't sleep tonight, I can feel the freaking nightmares coming
[Image: yao-ming-scared.jpg]

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm still unsure as to why anyone WANTS the concept of hell to be true...

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
14-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Re: RE: Hell In The Old Testament
(14-05-2013 07:59 PM)cjs Wrote:  I'm still unsure as to why anyone WANTS the concept of hell to be true...

Because it upsets them that those they describe as "bad" don't get punished and they aren't getting the gain in the long run.
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
14-05-2013, 08:25 PM
(14-05-2013 07:59 PM)cjs Wrote:  I'm still unsure as to why anyone WANTS the concept of hell to be true...

It was the ultimate scare tactic created by priests in christianity's beginning. Threaten someone's soul, and they'll do and worship anything in order to preserve it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-05-2013, 08:26 PM
(14-05-2013 07:53 PM)KVron Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 03:03 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Russian scientists conducting deep hole drilling experiments in Siberia break through the earth's crust at more than 14 kilometers. They find it unusually hot at that depth (2,000 degrees F). As a part of trying to listen to movement in the earth's crust, they drop a microphone into the drilled hole and are horrified when they realize they are hearing the voices of millions of people crying out in torment. Terrified, they decide to abandon the project, but not before a bat-like apparition arises from the hole and gives them a message.

Doc

Damn you Doc!!
I won't sleep tonight, I can feel the freaking nightmares coming
[Image: yao-ming-scared.jpg]

KVron, you think that's scary. Have you not heard of the Christian urban legend of Proctor and Gamble's association with the church of Satan? The P & G story includes an allegation that the company was supporting Satanic cults with 10% of their profits. Think of that next time you shampoo your hair with Pantene.

Doc
14-05-2013, 08:29 PM
I use Pantene and will now do so proudly!!

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
14-05-2013, 09:18 PM
(14-05-2013 02:23 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Uh-huh.

Fail to mention? You mean like the people who were swallowed alive in Korah's rebellion and hundreds of thousands of Israelites saw it and Moses reiterated what happened in later lessons?

There's also:

Isaiah 66:

22 “As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord. 24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

and etc.

Again, someone is imposing their version of how God should communicate to them on the scriptures. As far back as Cain, God warned an individual of coming judgment and Romans 1 explains that no person who has ever lived, without or with the scriptures, is ignorant or unaware of divine judgment...

Sure O.T scare campaigns directed at Baal et al.

In Jesus's time the Pharisees spouted afterlife stuff.
The Saducees did't believe in an afterlife........................that's why they were so sad you see!Angel