Hell In The Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 10:33 AM
RE: Hell In The Old Testament
(14-05-2013 10:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 10:09 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  There ain't a topic the babble isn't confused about.

The temple needs your money.

Thats the only coherent point in the thing
LOL, yes good point. And I'm pretty sure that's the reason that fundamentalist begins with fund. Smile

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
15-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Regarding the OP, I'm thinking God secretly gets a kick out of watching people go to hell. He didn't put it (or more correctly inspire it Rolleyes ) in the OT because that would have tipped us off and deprived him of some of his sick pleasure. Jesus let the cat out of the bag so it appeared in the NT. His Father was undoubtedly really miffed about that - and we all know from the OT what happens when he gets angry. Sadcryface

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. It's as valid as any of the ones Christians tell. Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
15-05-2013, 11:11 AM
(15-05-2013 10:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Regarding the OP, I'm thinking God secretly gets a kick out of watching people go to hell. He didn't put it (or more correctly inspire it Rolleyes ) in the OT because that would have tipped us off and deprived him of some of his sick pleasure. Jesus let the cat out of the bag so it appeared in the NT. His Father was undoubtedly really miffed about that - and we all know from the OT what happens when he gets angry. Sadcryface

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. It's as valid as any of the ones Christians tell. Thumbsup

Well, that explains why Jeebus hasn't returned; he's grounded.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-05-2013, 11:13 AM
According to Aquinas, (BTW Pleasy was bitching last week we didn't know anything about "Catholic Theology" .. even though he never mentions it), the saints in heaven get even more pleasure as they get to also watch the suffering of the damned.
Really nice people, these.

"That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell."
Aquinas, Summa Theologica

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2013, 12:31 PM
(15-05-2013 11:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 10:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Regarding the OP, I'm thinking God secretly gets a kick out of watching people go to hell. He didn't put it (or more correctly inspire it Rolleyes ) in the OT because that would have tipped us off and deprived him of some of his sick pleasure. Jesus let the cat out of the bag so it appeared in the NT. His Father was undoubtedly really miffed about that - and we all know from the OT what happens when he gets angry. Sadcryface

Well, that explains why Jeebus hasn't returned; he's grounded.
Laugh out load Good point! And now that gives me the same kind of supporting "evidence" as Christians have for their stories. Big Grin

15-05-2013, 12:34 PM
(15-05-2013 11:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  According to Aquinas, (BTW Pleasy was bitching last week we didn't know anything about "Catholic Theology" .. even though he never mentions it), the saints in heaven get even more pleasure as they get to also watch the suffering of the damned.
Really nice people, these.

"That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell."
Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Nice... Blink How do people believe this stuff! So an omniscient god thinks that people who are supposed to have been morally "the best" on this planet will enjoy watching suffering in hell...

15-05-2013, 01:52 PM
(14-05-2013 01:34 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  For the traditionalist Christians on here, I have a question for you, if Hell is so important, and a place to be avoided at all costs, why does God not bother once to mention it in the Old Testament?

Sure, the English WORD Hell is used a few times, but this is mostly a mistranslation from "Sheol", the common grave of mankind. Besides, if God was trying to speak about Hell as we understand it today, don't you think he would describe the place?, as in an eternal pit of fire and torment?, but he doesn't, it's not until the NT Where a place of everlasting punishment is described.

The closest thing we get in the OT is a verse from Daniel which says something like;

"In that day, multitudes who are sleeping in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, others to eternal shame and contempt."

But even that's pretty vague.

Isaiah 66:24
New International Version (NIV)
24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”
15-05-2013, 02:50 PM
(15-05-2013 01:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(14-05-2013 01:34 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  For the traditionalist Christians on here, I have a question for you, if Hell is so important, and a place to be avoided at all costs, why does God not bother once to mention it in the Old Testament?

Sure, the English WORD Hell is used a few times, but this is mostly a mistranslation from "Sheol", the common grave of mankind. Besides, if God was trying to speak about Hell as we understand it today, don't you think he would describe the place?, as in an eternal pit of fire and torment?, but he doesn't, it's not until the NT Where a place of everlasting punishment is described.

The closest thing we get in the OT is a verse from Daniel which says something like;

"In that day, multitudes who are sleeping in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, others to eternal shame and contempt."

But even that's pretty vague.

Isaiah 66:24
24 “And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

Dead bodies.

Not eternal, living souls, corpses.

Try again.
[+] 1 user Likes TheLastEnemy's post
15-05-2013, 03:51 PM
(15-05-2013 02:50 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 01:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  Isaiah 66:24

Dead bodies.

Try again.
No really, this is it. Of course there are dead bodies. Please note Isaiah 66:22-23 is about after the tribulation period.

Isaiah 66:22-24
22 “As the new heavens and the new earth(A) that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure.(B) 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath© to another, all mankind will come and bow down(D) before me,” says the Lord.

Matthew 25:41
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Mark 9:48
48 where
“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’

Revelation 20:10
10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
15-05-2013, 04:35 PM
(15-05-2013 03:51 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 02:50 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  Dead bodies.

Try again.
No really, this is it. Of course there are dead bodies. Please note Isaiah 66:22-23 is about after the tribulation period.

Isaiah 66:22-24
22 “As the new heavens and the new earth(A) that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure.(B) 23 From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath© to another, all mankind will come and bow down(D) before me,” says the Lord.

Matthew 25:41
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Mark 9:48
48 where
“‘the worms that eat them do not die,
and the fire is not quenched.’

Revelation 20:10
10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

But there is nothing there about conscious, eternal torture, simply dead bodies.

The other 3 are irrelevant because they are from the NT.