Hell In The Old Testament

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: Hell In The Old Testament
(15-05-2013 08:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 06:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm not familiar with Augustine but I do know that the fire spoken of is not like the fire we know. God's fire is a purifying fire.

"I'm not familiar with Augustine"

Gosh! Who....exactly....are....you....familiar....with?

Which of the church fathers have you read?

Which modern historian have you read?

Have you...in fact....ever read an historical work?

The anecdotal evidence I have acquired would suggest not many.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2013, 09:02 PM
(15-05-2013 08:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 06:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm not familiar with Augustine but I do know that the fire spoken of is not like the fire we know. God's fire is a purifying fire.

"I'm not familiar with Augustine"

Yes I've read Augustine, but just not that part in the city of God.
15-05-2013, 09:05 PM
(15-05-2013 08:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 08:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "I'm not familiar with Augustine"

Does David Barton count?

http://christian-libertarian.org/2012/08...scredited/

I 'specially like Dan Brown. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
15-05-2013, 09:11 PM (This post was last modified: 15-05-2013 09:38 PM by Full Circle.)
(15-05-2013 09:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 08:57 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Does David Barton count?

http://christian-libertarian.org/2012/08...scredited/

I 'specially like Dan Brown. Weeping

Yes! One of the greatest Shocking modern historians of our times, entertaining too!

I see someone is backpeddaling Cool OHHHH, that St. Augustine! Oh him, yeah, yeah, I remember him now. We went to school together, yeah, that's it. He's the fuckwad that injected sexism into early Catholic dogma by saying women were intellectually and morally inferior.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-05-2013, 09:37 PM
(15-05-2013 09:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 09:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I 'specially like Dan Brown. Weeping

Yes! One of the greatest Shocking modern historians of our times, entertaining too!

I see someone is backpeddaling Cool OHHHH, that St. Augustine! Oh him, yeah, yeah, I remember him now. We went to school together, yeah, that's it.
Funny.
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
15-05-2013, 09:43 PM
(15-05-2013 08:31 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If you don't like what the bible says transform it into a metaphor, allegory, parable or simile.
Actually, it is my experience that the carnal mind will have a different take.
15-05-2013, 09:54 PM
(15-05-2013 09:02 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 08:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "I'm not familiar with Augustine"

Yes I've read Augustine, but just not that part in the city of God.

I see you've contributed over 800 posts here. I haven't read them all, but of the ones I have read you claim to know a lot about god. Perhaps you could tell everyone from where you get your knowledge? A list of books you've read from reputable scholars is, I think, not asking too much. I can do the same for you....if you're interested.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
15-05-2013, 09:56 PM
(15-05-2013 09:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 09:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I 'specially like Dan Brown. Weeping

I see someone is backpeddaling Cool OHHHH, that St. Augustine! Oh him, yeah, yeah, I remember him now. We went to school together, yeah, that's it. He's the fuckwad that injected sexism into early Catholic dogma by saying women were intellectually and morally inferior.

I think that sex-obsessed dude (Augustine) was the guy who cooked up "original sin". He was a serious psycho.

Childish, you don't get to make up shit about a fire, where there was none just because it makes sense to you. There is not a shred of evidence that Sheol had a fire, or there was suffering there until the word got translated into the Greek Haedes. I don't think Haedes had a fire either. Leave it to the nut-job Christians to add that lovely concept.

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
15-05-2013, 10:16 PM
(15-05-2013 09:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 09:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Yes! One of the greatest Shocking modern historians of our times, entertaining too!

I think that sex-obsessed dude (Augustine) was the guy who cooked up "original sin". He was a serious psycho.

Childish, you don't get to make up shit about a fire, where there was none just because it makes sense to you. There is not a shred of evidence that Sheol had a fire, or there was suffering there until the word got translated into the Greek Haedes. I don't think Haedes had a fire either. Leave it to the nut-job Christians to add that lovely concept.

Sex obsessed? Look....we're all allowed a little fantasy or two...even Augustine.... he pondered over
“whether angels, inasmuch as they are spirits, could have bodily intercourse with women?” (The City of God, Book XV, Chapter 23). After much deliberation over an entirely imaginary subject, he concluded that they can and do, and that he had proof:
“Many proven instances, that Sylvans and Fauns, who are commonly called ‘Incubi,’ had often made wicked assaults upon women, and satisfied their lusts upon them: and that certain devils, called Duses by the Gauls, are constantly attempting and effecting this impurity.” (City of God, book xv, chapter 23).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
15-05-2013, 10:24 PM
(15-05-2013 10:16 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(15-05-2013 09:56 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I think that sex-obsessed dude (Augustine) was the guy who cooked up "original sin". He was a serious psycho.

Sex obsessed? Look....we're all allowed a little fantasy or two...even Augustine.... he pondered over
“whether angels, inasmuch as they are spirits, could have bodily intercourse with women?” (The City of God, Book XV, Chapter 23). After much deliberation over an entirely imaginary subject, he concluded that they can and do, and that he had proof:
“Many proven instances, that Sylvans and Fauns, who are commonly called ‘Incubi,’ had often made wicked assaults upon women, and satisfied their lusts upon them: and that certain devils, called Duses by the Gauls, are constantly attempting and effecting this impurity.” (City of God, book xv, chapter 23).

Heh heh. THAT is hilarious. I may have to pop over to my *other* forum, and post that. (They're gonna boot me out one of these days).
Now I HAVE to get out my copy.

In the Compendium of Theology, Aquinas said the reason the snake went to Eve first, was "The light of reason shone less brightly in her".
They're not sexist. No. Not a bit. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post