Hell bound - the documentary

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Hell bound - the documentary
"This is why we want hell. In the face of such overwhelming evil, sometimes our only comfort is that somehow, someday, the people who do such things will have hell to pay.

But if we are completely honest; is this way of dealing with evil really satisfy? If the only way to deal with evil is to get rid of evil people, who will be left?

Is hell really god's final answer to pain? Because if god responds to evil in the same way that we do - how can we call god good? How can we call him god?" - ken miller

Great documentary on netflix on the concept of hell and the people who believe in it. It also documents the near death experiences of people who didn't see the "warm bright light"

Anyone see it? Your thoughts?

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2014, 01:52 PM
RE: Hell bound - the documentary
Fear and ignorance are the two most powerful tools to control people. Nobody knows this better than the Church. Their two biggest rules are:

1. If you don't follow Christianity, you're domed to burn in hell for all eternity.

2. You NEVER question "God's word", a.k.a. the Bible. You believe what we tell you to believe and shut the fuck up!

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
22-03-2014, 02:07 PM
This is the religion that believes in "eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth" thinking. And then Jesus goes and contradicts that by saying you should forgive your enemies.

Whichever one you choose is at the extreme end of the justice/revenge spectrum. The penalty should be in proportion to the crime, but not to the extent of effectively repeating the crime.

The punishments according to the religious world are insanely disproportionate...

Worship the wrong god - Burn in hell forever

Commit adultery - Burn in hell forever

Question God's existence - Burn in hell forever

Turn out gay - Burn in hell forever

Work on a Sunday - Burn in hell forever

Masturbate - Burn in hell forever

You know what...

[Image: dear-god-fuck-you_design.png]

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post
22-03-2014, 03:26 PM
(22-03-2014 02:07 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  You know what...

[Image: dear-god-fuck-you_design.png]

Oooooh....

You are so going to burn in hell forever for that. Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
22-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Thought it was about Erxy for a minute. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
22-03-2014, 04:42 PM
First I gotta get this out of the way cuz that's where my mind instantly went to

Second, no I don't believe I've seen it but it sounds cool. I like documentaries Sleepy

I guess for some people the idea of hell could be comforting though I those people would have to really REALLY have to have some big something to try to justify that. Like maybe if their mother was murdered, I could see someone being comforted somehow with the idea of an eternal punishment for their mother's killer. But even then that just seems extreme. It's almost like you'd be no better than any other person that wants to do harm to someone because you're wishing never-ending torment on someone else (even if they might maybe deserve it).

Overall though, like in that quote, I do believe the concept of hell does say quite a bit about god that people need to question. Is forever suffering for screwing up in life really fit? Should a serial killer really suffer the same fate as someone who was kind, sweet and giving their whole existence but simply didn't believe in the right religion? Really it seems kind of like something a little kid would think up. Some overall punishment for all the meanies without any real thought on if the punishment really fits the crime. Well I say that but I think even young children could see that a kid who took a cookie from the cookie jar without permission doesn't get in the same kind of trouble as that kid that punched that other kid in the face, for example. Just really doesn't make sense and doesn't sound like a merciful god. Merciless is more what it is there!

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
23-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Ooh, ooh... I got another one.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]