Hell is a Nebraska Cornfield

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2016, 01:47 AM
Hell is a Nebraska Cornfield
When you take into account all the perils of life in the real world, accident, disease, dismemberment, dementia, getting sacked, heartbreak, and those times Starbucks is out of the crucial ingredient for your morning latte, among many other meannesses the uncaring universe smacks us across the jaw with, any mental energy diverted to worrying about hell is equivalent to a captain navigating shoal water in a typhoon taking steps to prevent stranding the ship in a Nebraska cornfield. A more precise analogy would have the captain worrying about stranding the ship on the west flank of Olympus Mons, but the terrestrial analogy suffices.

Mention that to the next simpering evangelist in rapture about "getting saved". "Saved" my hind end, just dodging the hazards of the real world already takes more intellect than we can give it without piling puerile fantasies on top of it all - or worse, making the puerile fantasy the thing most feared. To borrow an old cliche: With A World Like Ours, Who Needs Hell?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Airportkid's post
16-02-2016, 03:01 AM
RE: Hell is a Nebraska Cornfield
But -- but -- free will.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
16-02-2016, 04:40 AM
(16-02-2016 01:47 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  When you take into account all the perils of life in the real world, accident, disease, dismemberment, dementia, getting sacked, heartbreak, and those times Starbucks is out of the crucial ingredient for your morning latte, among many other meannesses the uncaring universe smacks us across the jaw with, any mental energy diverted to worrying about hell is equivalent to a captain navigating shoal water in a typhoon taking steps to prevent stranding the ship in a Nebraska cornfield. A more precise analogy would have the captain worrying about stranding the ship on the west flank of Olympus Mons, but the terrestrial analogy suffices.

Mention that to the next simpering evangelist in rapture about "getting saved". "Saved" my hind end, just dodging the hazards of the real world already takes more intellect than we can give it without piling puerile fantasies on top of it all - or worse, making the puerile fantasy the thing most feared. To borrow an old cliche: With A World Like Ours, Who Needs Hell?

A World Like Ours, Who Needs Hell?

Indeed. And who needs heaven? We have it here...it is a cold scotch and coke, consumed on an empty stomach, whilst staring at a beautiful new born little girl, with mum happy to breast feed and change the nappies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
16-02-2016, 06:17 AM
(16-02-2016 04:40 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 01:47 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  When you take into account all the perils of life in the real world, accident, disease, dismemberment, dementia, getting sacked, heartbreak, and those times Starbucks is out of the crucial ingredient for your morning latte, among many other meannesses the uncaring universe smacks us across the jaw with, any mental energy diverted to worrying about hell is equivalent to a captain navigating shoal water in a typhoon taking steps to prevent stranding the ship in a Nebraska cornfield. A more precise analogy would have the captain worrying about stranding the ship on the west flank of Olympus Mons, but the terrestrial analogy suffices.

Indeed. And who needs heaven? We have it here...it is a cold scotch and coke, consumed on an empty stomach, whilst staring at a beautiful new born little girl, with mum happy to breast feed and change the nappies.

Scotch and Coke? Shocking Hobo Weeping

Unless you mean cocaine. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Christianity is if nothing else a curious religion.

They want you to join, so they had to make up a god, who really loves you - and wants you to be his buddy ---- but, he's got a really bad place he's going to send you, if you don't like him or the way he operates......................

I'd be more inclined to join a religion that had a big titted Goddess, who dispensed blowjobs to the faithful.......

I could actually get behind that.

But, I doubt I'd be trying to get my neighbors to join.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-02-2016, 10:47 AM
(16-02-2016 06:48 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Christianity is if nothing else a curious religion.

They want you to join, so they had to make up a god, who really loves you - and wants you to be his buddy ---- but, he's got a really bad place he's going to send you, if you don't like him or the way he operates.....

Actually, that's not particularly curious. It's par for the course for any organization of this type.

The carrot-and-stick structure is one of the most basic means of motivating people to obey you, in both religious and secular contexts. Religion is just a matter of making up the biggest stick possible.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
16-02-2016, 01:44 PM
(16-02-2016 06:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Scotch and Coke? Shocking Hobo Weeping

Chas, if you're drinking cocaine, you're doing it wrong... Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
16-02-2016, 01:45 PM
(16-02-2016 01:44 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-02-2016 06:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Scotch and Coke? Shocking Hobo Weeping

Chas, if you're drinking cocaine, you're doing it wrong... Rolleyes

I'm going to take the fifth on that. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-02-2016, 01:47 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2016 03:03 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Now Dr. F,
Would this, by any chance, be referring to .... oh, I don't know .... YOU ???!!!! (the baby girl part) ... what did you name her ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
16-02-2016, 08:59 PM

What are your intentions with that new-born baby girl you are staring at? If it is for consumption, why weren't the rest of us invited? Angry Now, if it is a daughter or grand daughter, all well and good, and congratulations! As for the Scotch, good Scotch can be drank at room temperature. And for the life of me can't imagine putting Scotch and Coke together. Gasp But that is me.