Hell........

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
29-01-2011, 06:04 PM
RE: Hell........
Talking to a dead body in a casket, grave, batttlefield etc. is closure for the live person. I think one needs to believe in an afterlife for it to be truly effective, but then, most people do.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2011, 07:27 PM
(29-01-2011 06:04 PM)No J. Wrote:  Talking to a dead body in a casket, grave, batttlefield etc. is closure for the live person. I think one needs to believe in an afterlife for it to be truly effective, but then, most people do.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't believe in an afterlife but I've still said goodbye to friends and family members who have passed. I've eulogized them, told them how I feel about them, etc. I've never really thought about why I do this but it's not just for show or because it's expected. I think I've done it because I needed to do it for myself, and it made me feel better, gave me a feeling of closure. But, I don't know that believing or not believing in an afterlife really has any impact on it.

We all grieve in our own way, and I guess we all get past the grieving in our own way.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
29-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you. I wasn't sure I was right about it either. It seems that hearing our own voices expressing our thoughts does affect us.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
30-01-2011, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2011 11:16 AM by Observer.)
(29-01-2011 07:27 PM)BnW Wrote:  [quote='No J.' pid='18320' dateline='1296345877']
I don't believe in an afterlife but I've still said goodbye to friends and family members who have passed. I've eulogized them, told them how I feel about them, etc.
I don't believe in an afterlife either but...
When my Grandmother was dying i whispered to her is was Ok to "let go" and I asked her to say hi to my sister.
And then... she just stopped breathing...
Not my most rational moment... Confused

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-01-2011, 12:35 PM
(30-01-2011 10:54 AM)The_observer Wrote:  I don't believe in an afterlife either but...
When my Grandmother was dying i whispered to her is was Ok to "let go" and I asked her to say hi to my sister.
And then... she just stopped breathing...
Not my most rational moment... Confused

But it was a very kind moment. That is a time when kindness trumps rationality.

30-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Agreed - sometimes people hold on to life for their loved ones.
What you did was a very selfless gesture.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
31-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Agree. Bringing comfort to a loved one on their death bed does not make you a hypocrite. It makes you a person.

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post