Hellfire campus preacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
Hellfire campus preacher
This gentleman came to campus. I thought I'd post some of the wackier bits. The first bit is an approximation.

Me: that's not what the Latin bible says.

Preacher: the Vulgate is "A Catholic sinners book put here to confuse you from the True word of God", Latin is a sinful language because of the sinful Catholics.

Me: but every English version is a translation of the Vulgate. It came first.

P: God wrote the bible in English. All the others are put here by satan to confuse you from the path of God.

M: ....huh? It was a translation. It was commissioned as a translation. We have WRITTEN RECORD of that commission from the king who commissioned it.

P: the KJV Pure Cambridge edition came about in mysterious ways in 1920 and there's no written documentation of it being written. Therefore God did it.

I want to link to this UArk site. He goes to different campuses and the folks over there were kind enough to take notes.

http://comp.uark.edu/~dbarrett/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
06-10-2014, 12:04 PM
RE: Hellfire campus preacher
(06-10-2014 11:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  This gentleman came to campus. I thought I'd post some of the wackier bits. The first bit is an approximation.

Me: that's not what the Latin bible says.

Preacher: the Vulgate is "A Catholic sinners book put here to confuse you from the True word of God", Latin is a sinful language because of the sinful Catholics.

Me: but every English version is a translation of the Vulgate. It came first.

P: God wrote the bible in English. All the others are put here by satan to confuse you from the path of God.

M: ....huh? It was a translation. It was commissioned as a translation. We have WRITTEN RECORD of that commission from the king who commissioned it.

P: the KJV Pure Cambridge edition came about in mysterious ways in 1920 and there's no written documentation of it being written. Therefore God did it.

I want to link to this UArk site. He goes to different campuses and the folks over there were kind enough to take notes.

http://comp.uark.edu/~dbarrett/

gentleman? Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-10-2014, 12:10 PM
If I'm not polite nuns will jump out of the shadows and beat me. They're everywhere, those nuns.
[+] 6 users Like natachan's post
06-10-2014, 12:22 PM
I use to hate the campus scream preachers that came to my college. They would yell at everybody even if you had on some sort of Christian identifier on. Hateful, ignorant people.
06-10-2014, 05:03 PM
Early english versions were translations from the Latin. Later english versions tend to skip it and go back to earlier sources where possible such as greek, hebrew, and aramaic[1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_languages

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-10-2014, 06:55 PM
It's prolly Pleasy.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...Ivy-Mottos
He said he was a campus preacher.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-10-2014, 01:43 PM
(06-10-2014 11:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  ---
...mysterious ways...
---
Laugh out load

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-10-2014, 10:29 AM
(06-10-2014 11:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  P: God wrote the bible in English. All the others are put here by satan to confuse you from the path of God.

No fucking way someone actually said that! I cannot believe that there is a person out there intelligent enough to understand terms like "Vulgate" who simultaneously believes that the Bible was written in a language before that language existed.

Cognitive dissonance knows no bounds...
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Read the UArk site. It gets funnier. This guy is nutso.
08-10-2014, 10:47 AM
(08-10-2014 10:29 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 11:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  P: God wrote the bible in English. All the others are put here by satan to confuse you from the path of God.

No fucking way someone actually said that! I cannot believe that there is a person out there intelligent enough to understand terms like "Vulgate" who simultaneously believes that the Bible was written in a language before that language existed.

Cognitive dissonance knows no bounds...

Why do you believe he understands the term 'Vulgate'? I'd say he's just parroting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user