Hellfire campus preacher

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: Hellfire campus preacher
(08-10-2014 10:45 AM)natachan Wrote:  Read the UArk site. It gets funnier. This guy is nutso.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 11:05 AM
"Why would I want a real job when I can preach and eat fried chicken?"

"There will be more women in Hell than men."

"You won’t know the difference between the scent of righteousness and the scent of a menstrual rag!"

This guy is just awash in nuttiness. I go down to the library lawn to laugh my ass off. Especially when he says women who wear pants are going to hell.
08-10-2014, 12:23 PM
(08-10-2014 11:05 AM)natachan Wrote:  Especially when he says women who wear pants are going to hell.

Because they aren't dressing modestly enough or because it impedes his ability to smell their menstrual rags?
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-10-2014, 12:29 PM
My...poor...eyes...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
08-10-2014, 12:30 PM
(08-10-2014 11:05 AM)natachan Wrote:  "Why would I want a real job when I can preach and eat fried chicken?"

"You won’t know the difference between the scent of righteousness and the scent of a menstrual rag!"

This guy is just awash in nuttiness. I go down to the library lawn to laugh my ass off. Especially when he says women who wear pants are going to hell.

It's hard to imagine how a Christian could be such a misogynist. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-10-2014, 06:15 PM
(06-10-2014 11:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  Me: that's not what the Latin bible says.

Preacher: the Vulgate is "A Catholic sinners book put here to confuse you from the True word of God", Latin is a sinful language because of the sinful Catholics.

Me: but every English version is a translation of the Vulgate. It came first.
I'm fairly certain that the KJV is a translation from the original Hebrew and Greek.

Sapere aude
08-10-2014, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 06:27 PM by Chas.)
(08-10-2014 06:15 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 11:46 AM)natachan Wrote:  Me: that's not what the Latin bible says.

Preacher: the Vulgate is "A Catholic sinners book put here to confuse you from the True word of God", Latin is a sinful language because of the sinful Catholics.

Me: but every English version is a translation of the Vulgate. It came first.
I'm fairly certain that the KJV is a translation from the original Hebrew and Greek.

Not entirely. One source says, "In common with most other translations of the period, the New Testament was translated from Greek, the Old Testament was translated from Hebrew and Aramaic text, while the Apocrypha were translated from the Greek and Latin."

But the sources aren't the only factor.
Quote:A primary concern of the translators was to produce a Bible that would be appropriate, dignified and resonant in public reading. Although the Authorized Version's written style is an important part of its influence on English, research has found only one verse – Hebrews 13:8 – for which translators debated the wording's literary merits. While they stated in the preface that they used stylistic variation, finding multiple English words or verbal forms in places where the original language employed repetition, in practice they also did the opposite; for example, 14 different Hebrew words were translated into the single English word "prince"

08-10-2014, 06:36 PM
(08-10-2014 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 11:05 AM)natachan Wrote:  "Why would I want a real job when I can preach and eat fried chicken?"

It's hard to imagine how a Christian could be such a misogynist. Big Grin
You're kidding, of course.Huh

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 King James Version (KJV)

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

There are plenty of others.

Sapere aude
08-10-2014, 07:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 07:17 PM by Chas.)
(08-10-2014 06:36 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 12:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's hard to imagine how a Christian could be such a misogynist. Big Grin
You're kidding, of course.Huh

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 King James Version (KJV)

34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.

35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

There are plenty of others.

Weeping I'm so misunderstood.

08-10-2014, 07:12 PM
(08-10-2014 06:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 06:15 PM)f stop Wrote:  I'm fairly certain that the KJV is a translation from the original Hebrew and Greek.

Not entirely. One source says, "In common with most other translations of the period, the New Testament was translated from Greek, the Old Testament was translated from Hebrew and Aramaic text, while the Apocrypha were translated from the Greek and Latin."

But the sources aren't the only factor.
Quote:A primary concern of the translators was to produce a Bible that would be appropriate, dignified and resonant in public reading. Although the Authorized Version's written style is an important part of its influence on English, research has found only one verse – Hebrews 13:8 – for which translators debated the wording's literary merits. While they stated in the preface that they used stylistic variation, finding multiple English words or verbal forms in places where the original language employed repetition, in practice they also did the opposite; for example, 14 different Hebrew words were translated into the single English word "prince"

Huh. I was taught that most were translated from the Vulgate. I was wrong, apparently only some were.