Hellllllllooooooooo! <--- (Ms. Doubtfire voice)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Hellllllllooooooooo! <--- (Ms. Doubtfire voice)
Greeting fellow nonbelievers,

My name is, Jay aka "Fisheswithfeet" (which is also my Twitter handle and my blog url http://www.fisheswithfeet.com). I've been listening to the TTA Podcast since Sept, 2010 which is just a few months after it started. At that point I had only been "free" of my previous belief system (Christianity) for 1 - 1.5 years. Like many other apostates I've spoken to I went through a period of rather virulent anger towards religion in general, that bled over to some degree into my interactions/conversations with believers. Like anything else in life, this change has included a learning process and in my case a rather steep learning curve. Despite having been educated in a public Jr. High & High School (I went to a private Christian school from K-6th grade) and a college education I had managed to block out, ignore or otherwise explain away/justify the conflicts and contradictions between my faith and reality. Thankfully my departure from the "herd" also stoked an appetite for learning and I made up for any deficits in rather short order.

Anywho, I am totally off topic (which happens often), the reason I started down that rabbit trail was to say that Seth aka The Thinking Atheist and many others like him in the atheist community have helped curb some of that anger and served to develop a sense of goodwill towards religious people. I think I am able to better separate people from their beliefs and recognize that I won't gain any ground by attacking people, or (in most cases) by attacking people's beliefs. If you read my blog you'll probably pick up on this metamorphosis, my posts/topics have and continue to be less and less confrontational and insulting and more and more about trying to find inroads that will lead to actually helping people break free of the mental slavery that is created and fostered by strict adherence to fundamentalist religious belief systems.

Having said all that, I still believe that religion and the tenets and beliefs put forth by most (if not all) religions deserve to be treated with "ridicule, hatred and contempt" as Hitchens put it. I believe that mockery does serve a purpose, and can play a part in opening a person's eyes to the truth. Afterall, no one likes/wants to be mocked, in many cases if it becomes clear to an individual that they cling to beliefs that are worthy of mockery it makes their departure from those beliefs all the more likely. However, I no longer use those as the core of my approach and I stay away from words like, "religitard..."

Despite all the wretched depravity inherent in many faiths, some have gotten one idea right. Even if the application/manifestation of that idea has been horribly distorted by centuries of essentially trying to cram a round peg into a square hole. That idea/concept is love, and I realize that statement may open the door to all kinds of questions, a need for definitions etc... but bear w/ me and let's just assume the most nebulous and universal definition of the term for this purpose. Regardless of the source or the cause of what we call "love" it is something that for whatever reason seems to afford me/us a lot of leeway. No matter what a person believes about god, science, aliens, etc... an approach that is motivated by love or could described as loving (or at the very least, kind) will (potentially) allow for a great deal more progress than an angry/critical posture or a by being condescending, insulting and/or rude.

So I have Seth/TTA to thank for that progress, as well as a source of information and a feeling of connectedness; which is something I lost when I left the church. The education has been priceless and Seth has some real insight into the big picture in regards to the whole "New Atheist" movement. His hard work and dedication have earned him a seat alongside some of the "big names" Smile involved in the development and evolution of freethought, secularism, "New Atheism," (or whatever you choose to call it) like Thunderfoot, Matt Dillahunty, PZ Meyers, etc. He has used his talents and experience in broadcasting to build the TTA from a Podcast I found on the Zune Network (back when that was still a "thing") to what it is today - a community of like minded individuals working together towards a common goal with a place to learn, share, discuss and put into practice our experiences, strengths and our desires for change. As well as an opportunity to shape a future for our progeny that is free of superstition, fear, guilt and that isn't dominated by grown men and women with an imaginary friend (or friends, in some case - I'm looking at you Hindus) ;-)

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read this entire thing. Seth, if you see this, this is Jay (we're friends on Facebook, you might remember my blog?) I hope you know I mean every word I've said. You're a light in the darkness my friend, and yes I see the irony in that statement! Smile

Cheers, everyone!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fisheswithfeet's post
26-03-2014, 05:50 PM
RE: Hellllllllooooooooo! <--- (Ms. Doubtfire voice)
(26-03-2014 02:34 PM)fisheswithfeet Wrote:  Greeting fellow nonbelievers,

My name is, Jay aka "Fisheswithfeet" (which is also my Twitter handle and my blog url http://www.fisheswithfeet.com). I've been listening to the TTA Podcast since Sept, 2010 which is just a few months after it started. At that point I had only been "free" of my previous belief system (Christianity) for 1 - 1.5 years. Like many other apostates I've spoken to I went through a period of rather virulent anger towards religion in general, that bled over to some degree into my interactions/conversations with believers. Like anything else in life, this change has included a learning process and in my case a rather steep learning curve. Despite having been educated in a public Jr. High & High School (I went to a private Christian school from K-6th grade) and a college education I had managed to block out, ignore or otherwise explain away/justify the conflicts and contradictions between my faith and reality. Thankfully my departure from the "herd" also stoked an appetite for learning and I made up for any deficits in rather short order.

Anywho, I am totally off topic (which happens often), the reason I started down that rabbit trail was to say that Seth aka The Thinking Atheist and many others like him in the atheist community have helped curb some of that anger and served to develop a sense of goodwill towards religious people. I think I am able to better separate people from their beliefs and recognize that I won't gain any ground by attacking people, or (in most cases) by attacking people's beliefs. If you read my blog you'll probably pick up on this metamorphosis, my posts/topics have and continue to be less and less confrontational and insulting and more and more about trying to find inroads that will lead to actually helping people break free of the mental slavery that is created and fostered by strict adherence to fundamentalist religious belief systems.

Having said all that, I still believe that religion and the tenets and beliefs put forth by most (if not all) religions deserve to be treated with "ridicule, hatred and contempt" as Hitchens put it. I believe that mockery does serve a purpose, and can play a part in opening a person's eyes to the truth. Afterall, no one likes/wants to be mocked, in many cases if it becomes clear to an individual that they cling to beliefs that are worthy of mockery it makes their departure from those beliefs all the more likely. However, I no longer use those as the core of my approach and I stay away from words like, "religitard..."

Despite all the wretched depravity inherent in many faiths, some have gotten one idea right. Even if the application/manifestation of that idea has been horribly distorted by centuries of essentially trying to cram a round peg into a square hole. That idea/concept is love, and I realize that statement may open the door to all kinds of questions, a need for definitions etc... but bear w/ me and let's just assume the most nebulous and universal definition of the term for this purpose. Regardless of the source or the cause of what we call "love" it is something that for whatever reason seems to afford me/us a lot of leeway. No matter what a person believes about god, science, aliens, etc... an approach that is motivated by love or could described as loving (or at the very least, kind) will (potentially) allow for a great deal more progress than an angry/critical posture or a by being condescending, insulting and/or rude.

So I have Seth/TTA to thank for that progress, as well as a source of information and a feeling of connectedness; which is something I lost when I left the church. The education has been priceless and Seth has some real insight into the big picture in regards to the whole "New Atheist" movement. His hard work and dedication have earned him a seat alongside some of the "big names" Smile involved in the development and evolution of freethought, secularism, "New Atheism," (or whatever you choose to call it) like Thunderfoot, Matt Dillahunty, PZ Meyers, etc. He has used his talents and experience in broadcasting to build the TTA from a Podcast I found on the Zune Network (back when that was still a "thing") to what it is today - a community of like minded individuals working together towards a common goal with a place to learn, share, discuss and put into practice our experiences, strengths and our desires for change. As well as an opportunity to shape a future for our progeny that is free of superstition, fear, guilt and that isn't dominated by grown men and women with an imaginary friend (or friends, in some case - I'm looking at you Hindus) ;-)

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read this entire thing. Seth, if you see this, this is Jay (we're friends on Facebook, you might remember my blog?) I hope you know I mean every word I've said. You're a light in the darkness my friend, and yes I see the irony in that statement! Smile

Cheers, everyone!

Welcome. Hope you find what you are looking for. There are many great people here, maybe not me, but Ya you should meet the rest of the community. You will have fun.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
27-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Que pasa

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
27-03-2014, 11:10 PM
Welcome to the loony bin, have a free coconut on me! Wink

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user