Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 03:44 AM
Hello
Hey I'm a bit new here, I'm on a lot of forums but I do not usually post very often. I mostly got this account because some things are hidden from you if you are not registered. Anyways, here's some info about me.

I'm a 19 year old college student who is at a crossroads with christianity and atheism. I was first turned away from my faith when I was around 13. I was raised catholic my whole life, but in the back of my mind I always thought that some things just didn't make any sense. I ignored this until one day in church everything just clicked, and it all seemed ridiculous. Even after I came to that conclusion, I still thought that maybe there was still a god out there, and had those hopes until my brother died from a atv accident. It was such a stupid accident, he was just riding with his friends around dusk when he ran into some wire that was left on the ground. It tangled up in the tires and caused his atv to flip over on top of him. He didn't die there though, he was taken by helicopter to a hospital, where for 3 grueling hours doctors tried to get his blood to clot so his internal bleeding would stop. My family is deeply religious, and prayed constantly until we heard that he was beyond help. I watched him slowly die there, and it was just such a terrible waste. He was a really good guy, had lots of friends, and can honestly say he was probably ten times the man I will ever be. As selfish as it may seem, my brain just completely abandoned the concept of a god from then on. Which is why I can't feel good about throwing myself into atheism, I feel that my views are scewed by a personal event rather than actual facts. It's also the reason why I fear telling my parents or siblings about this, I'm afraid they will not take me seriously if my beliefs are based on a traumatizing event.

Anyway, sorry for the long block of text, I hope this forum will be an interesting insight to help me find a way out of these crossroads.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 02:23 PM
RE: Hello
Hey

Sorry man, that's terrible Sad

The God stuff - yeah, I'm with you. God's a lousy God if he lets good people die in such a wasteful and needless fashion. Don't worry about being secretive about it - many of us including myself have spent long periods 'in the closet'. It's a perfectly honourable life choice to do so for a time, until you feel comfortable telling whom you choose to tell.

Welcome to the forum Smile
01-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Your hesitation to go 'all in' is perfectly understandable.

Maybe there is consolation in knowing about the ancient Greeks and their early steps towards considering that there is no good reason to believe that the gods are real.

See Epicurus and his views on evil (you probably already know the famous lines, so I won't bore you with them).

Also, consider why the book of Job was the first to be selected as part of the biblical editorial process. It implies that the big question for many, for a long time, has been ... how can a good, loving god allow such evil to exist.

It seems to me like a good enough reason to embrace atheism.

01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Welcome, You have an interestingly tragic story and your concerns about going into atheism blind I feel are valid, if somewhat misplaced. use this time to learn the facts and make the jump over.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
(01-12-2012 03:44 AM)Unexistence Wrote:  Hey I'm a bit new here, I'm on a lot of forums but I do not usually post very often. I mostly got this account because some things are hidden from you if you are not registered. Anyways, here's some info about me.

I'm a 19 year old college student who is at a crossroads with christianity and atheism. I was first turned away from my faith when I was around 13. I was raised catholic my whole life, but in the back of my mind I always thought that some things just didn't make any sense. I ignored this until one day in church everything just clicked, and it all seemed ridiculous. Even after I came to that conclusion, I still thought that maybe there was still a god out there, and had those hopes until my brother died from a atv accident. It was such a stupid accident, he was just riding with his friends around dusk when he ran into some wire that was left on the ground. It tangled up in the tires and caused his atv to flip over on top of him. He didn't die there though, he was taken by helicopter to a hospital, where for 3 grueling hours doctors tried to get his blood to clot so his internal bleeding would stop. My family is deeply religious, and prayed constantly until we heard that he was beyond help. I watched him slowly die there, and it was just such a terrible waste. He was a really good guy, had lots of friends, and can honestly say he was probably ten times the man I will ever be. As selfish as it may seem, my brain just completely abandoned the concept of a god from then on. Which is why I can't feel good about throwing myself into atheism, I feel that my views are scewed by a personal event rather than actual facts. It's also the reason why I fear telling my parents or siblings about this, I'm afraid they will not take me seriously if my beliefs are based on a traumatizing event.

Anyway, sorry for the long block of text, I hope this forum will be an interesting insight to help me find a way out of these crossroads.
Welcome, and don't let organized religion religion put you totally against some types of spirituality.
03-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the reception, this has the feel of a really open and friendly forum site.

"Don't waste your time or time will waste you." -Muse
[Image: Hover-cat-vs-sweater-dog.gif]
03-12-2012, 01:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2012 01:13 AM by DLJ.)
(03-12-2012 12:52 AM)Unexistence Wrote:  Thanks for the reception, this has the feel of a really open and friendly forum site.

'Open', yes.
'Friendly' most of the time.

But then, the hostilities are the fun moments.

Rule of thumb... give as good as you get.

(and avoid Earmuffs)

03-12-2012, 01:23 AM
I disagree with that rule of thumb DLJ.

You should give twice that which you get.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post