Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Hello!
Hello! I'm a 19 year old (almost 20, though) who just officially deconverted from Methodism, although I haven't properly believed in about 3 years. I hadn't really thought about it much, until I got a super-christian for a roommate in my dorms. You know, the sort of christian who has 6 different crosses around her side of the very small dorm room. She asked me my denomination, and it made to stop to think.

What was my denomination?
What did I believe?
And how could I possibly reconcile what I had been taught as a child with what I knew to be true? Especially as someone who loves the sciences and can't really stomach the petty repeats of "it's not meant literally" or "who are you to question God's word" or, my personal favourite as someone who's minoring in Chemistry, "scientists are just making that stuff up to lead you away from God".

Those evil, evil scientists and their facts.

And that is how I realized that I was an atheist.

I recently told my mother, who surprised me with her own confession to atheism. She showed me Seth's book and that's how I found this place.

So... Yeah. Too wordy? Sorry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2013, 01:19 AM
RE: Hello!
Welcome Smile
17-01-2013, 01:33 AM
Welcome Sammy.

Not too wordy. Just about right, I'd say.

When's your birthday?

We have a teen section here (that us oldies are not allowed to enter) so make the most of it while you can.

17-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Alright, thank you!
My birthday is February 28th. So not too far away! It's a little intimidating actually to be leaving teenage-hood.

Is there? I'll check it out then, thank you!
17-01-2013, 03:57 AM
Salutations new friend. Please allow me roll the red carpet out for you. May I offer you a warm beverage and/or assorted cookies from this cookie platter? And maybe later I could offer you a deep tissue massage and a foot scrub.
I serenely hope you enjoy your time among our happy committee, it is a privilege and an honor to make your acquaintance, you bless us with your presence.
Welcome.

You fucking happy now!? Dodgy

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-01-2013, 04:20 AM
Howdy!

[Image: opforum1.png]
17-01-2013, 06:14 AM
(17-01-2013 03:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Salutations new friend. Please allow me roll the red carpet out for you. May I offer you a warm beverage and/or assorted cookies from this cookie platter? And maybe later I could offer you a deep tissue massage and a foot scrub.
I serenely hope you enjoy your time among our happy committee, it is a privilege and an honor to make your acquaintance, you bless us with your presence.
Welcome.

Needs more dragons...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
17-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Welcome Sammy.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
17-01-2013, 07:11 AM
(17-01-2013 03:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Salutations new friend. Please allow me roll the red carpet out for you. May I offer you a warm beverage and/or assorted cookies from this cookie platter? And maybe later I could offer you a deep tissue massage and a foot scrub.
Welcome.

I think that might be over the top - even for you. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Welcome aboard!

Does your mom happen to be on this forum as well? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]