Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Hello
Hi everyone:

New to the forum, but not new to atheism. I cannot honestly say that I am an atheist however. I think agnostic would best describe my current identification.

I'm 55, live in the good ole USA, born and raised in NYC. Grew up in the baptist/pentecostal/apostalic, fire and brimstone, falling down, speaking in tongues, frothing at the mouth type of church.

I have always had questions, but it seems that now I am beginning to be seen as a total loss to my family and friends because I refuse to swallow the BS anymore. I feel that I'm now considered to be just short of a murderer by most of the people I know and love. Even my wife is claiming that I am denying her her beliefs because I actively refute the garbage she accepts without question.

So, I'm looking forward to discussing atheism, etc., in a somewhat safer environment.

Peace,

Steve AKA Bedouin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2013, 08:04 PM
RE: Hello
Hi Bedouin and welcome Smile

Sad to hear your family sees you this way. Many others on this forum have experienced much the same.
You can read many of their stories here so stick around and you may even find some strategies to help you cope better in your situation.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
16-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Welcome

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
16-03-2013, 09:46 PM
(16-03-2013 12:36 PM)Bedouin Wrote:  Even my wife is claiming that I am denying her her beliefs because I actively refute the garbage she accepts without question.
Ditto what Aurora said.

Luckily my wife is on my side but not my elderly parents. I think your situation is much more precarious. I suggest you use kid gloves, understanding and much patience. I would not be surprised if members with similar stories provide a "how to" survive guide.

BTW how long have you two been married and do you have children? Helps to know before proceeding.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
17-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Most here identify as agnostic and atheist.

Atheist because they don't believe a god exists, agnostic because they admit no certain knowledge either way.
One could also be a theist, if they believe in god, and still agnostic because they don't know.

Welcome!
19-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Nice to meet you.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
19-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Whelk 'im !

// shortly afterwards Bedouin was attacked by a large whelk-wielding warrior...

// I know I know, I've tried this joke like 5 billion times and each time *no one* laughs... *However* practice makes perfect...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Welcome!

Keep your rosaries out of my ovaries, and your theology out of my biology.
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people." --Dr. House
20-03-2013, 05:07 PM
(19-03-2013 02:11 PM)morondog Wrote:  Whelk 'im !

// shortly afterwards Bedouin was attacked by a large whelk-wielding warrior...

// I know I know, I've tried this joke like 5 billion times and each time *no one* laughs... *However* practice makes perfect...

Having been slapped in the face with a sea snail more than once, I can tell you it's not funny. ... Kinda slimy and gross, but definitely not funny. Big Grin

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
20-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Welcome indeed. How long have you been skeptical? I stopped believing in hell age 45 and in god at 57. I was raised an evangelical. Was involved in the Charismatic Movement age 18 and spoke "in tongues" but soon dismissed that as fake.