Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2013, 03:08 AM
Hello
Hello! I'm an I'd say agnostic atheist (99.999% sure there is not a god, because you can't really ever prove 100% that something doesn't exist) I am from New Zealand, yes the very same New Zealand as our banana fondling pal Ray Comfort!

I am also disabled, suffering from muscular dystrophy (so much for a perfect creator huh?) so I'd like to think I have a bit of an authority on reality. Smile

I wasn't exactly raised atheist, not to say I was raised religious. My parents never even talked about God at all during my childhood, so they were apathetic atheist I guess. Luckily New Zealanders are pretty laid back when it comes to religion unlike some of the things I've seen from USA so being atheist isn't really a big deal.

Well that's me, looking forward to discussing with you all!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2013, 05:37 AM
RE: Hello
And we can't say for 100% sure that gravity will do it's thing when I drop something, it doesn't mean we acknowledge that microscopic percentage chance that gravity wont do it's thing. I don't say I believe in agnostic gravity.

My point is that you're right, we can't prove 100% BUT we can prove to a certain point that to acknowledge that small percentage chance you could be wrong is fucking retarded.

Welcome by the way. Tea and biscuits at the back.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Welcome to the forum, Althaen. I hope you become a frequent and well versed poster here on the Forum.

... Just stay away from Earmuffs and his moped. He's an angry, angry man, especially on the road.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-09-2013, 05:49 AM
Free Thought's an Aussie.
'Nuff said. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-09-2013, 05:52 AM
(15-09-2013 05:49 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Free Thought's an Aussie.
'Nuff said. Drinking Beverage

Why yes, yes I am.

Now, off you go, Muffsy, go for a ride, and for the love of all that is not holy, don't crash your moped again.

So, OP, what about you, anything else you want to add?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
15-09-2013, 06:26 AM
Welcome to the forum. You're in good company.
(14-09-2013 03:08 AM)Althaen Wrote:  Hello! I'm an I'd say agnostic atheist (99.999% sure there is not a god, because you can't really ever prove 100% that something doesn't exist) ...

Belief/non-belief is a spectrum. It goes something like this:

strong gnostic theist = "knows" god(s) exist
strong agnostic theist = not knowing but confident god(s) exist
agnostic theist = not knowing but believes god(s) exist
agnostic = doesn't know if god(s) exits or not
agnostic atheist = not knowing but not believing god(s) exist
strong agnostic atheist = not knowing but confident no god(s) exist <= ***You***Evil_monster
strong gnostic atheist = "knows" god(s) do not exist

(14-09-2013 03:08 AM)Althaen Wrote:  I wasn't exactly raised atheist, not to say I was raised religious. My parents never even talked about God at all during my childhood, so they were apathetic atheist I guess. Luckily New Zealanders are pretty laid back when it comes to religion unlike some of the things I've seen from USA so being atheist isn't really a big deal.

Thanks for joining. It may not be a big deal in New Zealand, but, many people here are recovering from extreme religious indoctrination and ostracism. Your participation and support will be greatly appreciated.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
15-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
15-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Welcome!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Wow, another Kiwi. Consider I must visit this New Zealand place one day. But only one day. Dodgy

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-09-2013, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2013 01:15 AM by Althaen.)
(15-09-2013 05:37 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  And we can't say for 100% sure that gravity will do it's thing when I drop something, it doesn't mean we acknowledge that microscopic percentage chance that gravity wont do it's thing. I don't say I believe in agnostic gravity.

My point is that you're right, we can't prove 100% BUT we can prove to a certain point that to acknowledge that small percentage chance you could be wrong is fucking retarded.

Welcome by the way. Tea and biscuits at the back.

Until we actually find a god or godess, wherever they're hiding, we can't really say 100%. Otherwise we're no better than theists asserting there is a god or godess. IMO anyway. Smile

I have no desire to play cosmic hide and seek like unemployed people looking for bigfoot.