Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I have been an atheist for over 5 years. I will be a senior in college this coming year getting my degree in computer science and a minor in math.

I started to question my religion when I started asking questions that no one could answer properly or that each denomination answered differently (there are two denominations in my family, Baptist and Cumberland Presbyterian). The main questions were "Why are there more Christians in America than in other countries if everyone has an equal chance of getting to heaven?" and "Why does religion seem to stay within a family, wouldn't someone in a Muslim family realize they are wrong?". These questions and others stewed in me for a while until I became more of a deist than a christian. I'm pretty sure the His Dark Materials books made me question god a little more as well.

I didn't really admit to myself that I was an atheist until about three years ago when I read Dawkin's book The God Delusion. I spent the entire summer reading and watching about the falsehoods of religion.

In college I took Religion, Logic, and Advanced Logic. These classes turned me into a skeptic. I love finding logical fallacies. Just this last year I have started to listen to podcasts. That is how I found out about this site from the Thinking Atheist Podcast. I love the skeptics guide to the universe as well. They have a very good list of logical fallacies on their website. I also use the Iron Chariots Wiki for specific religious refutations.

I do not personally know anyone else in my area who is an atheist/non-superstitious. There are a couple "spiritual" people and a couple people who do not know what they believe. The only other atheists I have met was at an atheist meetup group in a nearby city. My entire family is very religious. I have not told any of them about me yet and I don't intend to unless it comes up.

Well, that is a lot about me. It is good to become a part of the community and I hope to be around for a while.
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2011, 10:59 AM
RE: Hello
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see you liked the God Delusion. It helped me alot in debunking theist arguments; great book. Looking forward to reading your inputs!

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Heart *waves* Hello, back.
I like the question, if there is only one god why are there so many religious denominations fighting over which faith is the only one that leads to the one and only?

Welcome to the forums. I think you'll like it here. Smile
Quote this message in a reply