^_^ Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 07:22 PM by Hughsie.)
RE: ^_^ Hello
(27-03-2014 05:49 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 05:38 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Welcome, Jon.
Whether you agree or disagree with facts is irrelevant.
Read the sig
\/ \/ \/

Thank you for the welcome!

And I never said that I didn't agree with facts, but I do question them becasue I'm not one to just believe another person without looking into a matter... And I do question theory. A lot.

But you're a self confessed Christian, so you do just believe people without looking into the matter... otherwise you wouldn't be a Christian...

Quote:YES! You somehow nailed it down exactly! I like this verbal "whack-a-mole". Maybe, if you keep guessing randomly, you'll come up with something worthwhile...

I see no reason for you to be so hostile here. Isn't this the one part of the forum that is "supposed" to be at least sort of friendly?

And another thing, how do you ever hope to reach any kind of meaningful conclusion about anything when all you do is throw out vague references to "evidence" and insult others?

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue with you, but I am truly interested in learning. Not from you though, hopefully there are some more mature, knowledgable people on this site that will offer actual arguments.

And I see no reason why I should be civil.

"vague". The evidence for evolution is not "vague", it's extremely solid.
Here, let me google that for you.

And you started with the insults.
"I'm not here to argue, but simply to be able to have good discussions regarding this oh so important matter.. There is a ton of stuff I don't know about atheism and science and even theism, and I don't want to be one of those theists who refuses to hear anything contrary. I want to hear what you believe!"

Christians by definition refuse to hear anything to the contrary otherwise they wouldn't be Christians.
And we don't "believe" anything.
I don't "believe" gravity exists, I "accept" that it does because there's the scientific evidence to back up it's existence. This is excluding that all Atheism is is a lack of belief in God, nothing more nothing less. Nothing to do with science.

The insults continued with
"I watch COSMOS!! lol It's a very interesting show, although I don't necessarily agree with everything"

"agree", like you're at the center of the universe and somehow something is only fact if you agree it does or doesn't.

You're like every 'ThinkingChristian' that comes here.
You know a bit of science, you're even willing to learn more BUT you blatantly ignore the big floppy dick waving right in front of your face and say stupid shit like "that's cool, it's amazing but I don't agree with it".

Content Removed

And maybe you should listen to me.
Afterall, I know what evolution is and how it works, you do not.
You might learn a thing or two, Content Removed

(27-03-2014 05:57 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 05:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Which other scientific theories do you question?

Gravity?

Plate Tectonics?

Heliocentrism

Gravity? I see the effects of that...

Plate tectonics... I can witness that too.

Heliocentrism? No. I can see that as well.

I cannot see things evolving, though I can see them adapting.

I cannot see back into time to when the universe came into being either.

Can't see God yet you believe...

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
27-03-2014, 06:21 PM
(27-03-2014 06:14 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:08 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Is that what it is? I thought it meant that the sun was just the center of the solar system.. I guess I was wrong!

Heliocentrism states the sun (or stars, in general) is the center of its solar system. —Not the entire universe, Teen Skeptic.

Must've been cerebral flatulence.

Well that's what I thought. See, this is why I question everything. I was correct at first dammit. :-)
27-03-2014, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 07:22 PM by Hughsie.)
(27-03-2014 06:07 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:05 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Except you haven't really witnessed any of it. You have seen the evidence provided through the tools of the scientific method.

The same tools that have proven that evolution is real.

I find it interesting that its only -this one thing- that theists dont trust. Ridiculous really.

I witness that when I let go of something it goes down. Gravity.

I've seen earthquakes. Plate tectonics.

I may not be able to see with my own eye that the earth is moving around the sun and not the other way around, and so I know that it's the tools of science that have shown me this.

But they haven't proven evolution. They have given evidence for evolution.

Content Removed

27-03-2014, 06:23 PM
(27-03-2014 05:50 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 05:40 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Protip: it is.

Thumbsup

I suppose it is here that I say that the burden of proof is on the one who affirms. I never said it wasn't true, just that I don't know. I'm still looking through the evidence Smile

I appreciate the sentiment. That's fine!

But to be unsure is to be either ignorant of the evidence or in denial. Ignorance is something the people here would love to help with. Denial is something to be abhorred.

Because seriously.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
27-03-2014, 06:25 PM
(27-03-2014 06:21 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 06:14 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  Heliocentrism states the sun (or stars, in general) is the center of its solar system. —Not the entire universe, Teen Skeptic.

Must've been cerebral flatulence.

Well that's what I thought. See, this is why I question everything. I was correct at first dammit. :-)

Actually, upon further research, we are both correct. It can mean either that the sun is the center of the universe or that the sun is the center of the solar system.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
27-03-2014, 06:27 PM
How many times does Muffsy have to violate etiquette in the Intro section before he gets himself banned?

Just askin'

Tongue

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Hey guy. Welcome to TTA have fun with whatever
*runs back to SBT*

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
27-03-2014, 06:35 PM
(27-03-2014 06:27 PM)DLJ Wrote:  How many times does Muffsy have to violate etiquette in the Intro section before he gets himself banned?

Just askin'

Tongue

Is that a challenge? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-03-2014, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2014 07:23 PM by Hughsie.)
(27-03-2014 06:20 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 05:49 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Thank you for the welcome!

And I never said that I didn't agree with facts, but I do question them becasue I'm not one to just believe another person without looking into a matter... And I do question theory. A lot.

But you're a self confessed Christian, so you do just believe people without looking into the matter... otherwise you wouldn't be a Christian...

Quote:YES! You somehow nailed it down exactly! I like this verbal "whack-a-mole". Maybe, if you keep guessing randomly, you'll come up with something worthwhile...

I see no reason for you to be so hostile here. Isn't this the one part of the forum that is "supposed" to be at least sort of friendly?

And another thing, how do you ever hope to reach any kind of meaningful conclusion about anything when all you do is throw out vague references to "evidence" and insult others?

Anyway, I didn't come here to argue with you, but I am truly interested in learning. Not from you though, hopefully there are some more mature, knowledgable people on this site that will offer actual arguments.

And I see no reason why I should be civil.

"vague". The evidence for evolution is not "vague", it's extremely solid.
Here, let me google that for you.

And you started with the insults.
"I'm not here to argue, but simply to be able to have good discussions regarding this oh so important matter.. There is a ton of stuff I don't know about atheism and science and even theism, and I don't want to be one of those theists who refuses to hear anything contrary. I want to hear what you believe!"

Christians by definition refuse to hear anything to the contrary otherwise they wouldn't be Christians.
And we don't "believe" anything.
I don't "believe" gravity exists, I "accept" that it does because there's the scientific evidence to back up it's existence. This is excluding that all Atheism is is a lack of belief in God, nothing more nothing less. Nothing to do with science.

The insults continued with
"I watch COSMOS!! lol It's a very interesting show, although I don't necessarily agree with everything"

"agree", like you're at the center of the universe and somehow something is only fact if you agree it does or doesn't.

You're like every 'ThinkingChristian' that comes here.
You know a bit of science, you're even willing to learn more BUT you blatantly ignore the big floppy dick waving right in front of your face and say stupid shit like "that's cool, it's amazing but I don't agree with it".

Content Removed

And maybe you should listen to me.
Afterall, I know what evolution is and how it works, you do not.
You might learn a thing or two, Content Removed

(27-03-2014 05:57 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  Gravity? I see the effects of that...

Plate tectonics... I can witness that too.

Heliocentrism? No. I can see that as well.

I cannot see things evolving, though I can see them adapting.

I cannot see back into time to when the universe came into being either.

Can't see God yet you believe...

Wow... I can see that this is going to be awesome.

Firstly, being a Christian has nothing to do with "not looking into the matter". I believe that to believe a claim so bold you must study it. Which I am trying to do. It's only when childish people like you come at me with insults and idiotic remarks that I do not want to try to continue learning and possible be able to come to a place where I can be comfortable in my knowledge of science, philosophy and religion. You treat religion as if it has no merits, when in fact there is a ton of evidence for that as well. But no, don't look into it, prove me right in thinking that you are simply biased in your atheistic ways and unwilling to objectively look at all of the evidence offered by scientists and philosophers worldwide.

That's fine, don't be civil, it is only proving how immature you are. I'm fine with that. Smile

And I didn't say that the evidence for evolution was "vague", I said that you had, at that point, only given a vague reference to "mountains of evidence." Which is vague. So please don't put words in my mouth.

I never insulted you or anyone else. You say I insulted you by admitting that I don't want to be a closed-minded person? It's an insult to you personally that I want to hear the evidence and opinions of other people? It is an insult to you that I don't agree that evolution is certain beyond a shadow of a doubt? If you really believe that I have insulted you in saying these things then it seems that your admonition that it's "like you're at the center of the universe and somehow something is only fact if you agree it does or doesn't" really applies to you more than to me. Evolution is not fact, period. Is it true? It could very well be true! Would that change my faith in God? No, because I can see that God is the best explanation for life arising out of non-living matter.

Honestly, I don't care all that much what you "believe" or "know". I am interested in the opinions of those who are willing to have an actual conversation instead of childishly throwing about inane and disrespectful put-downs.

I never said I was at the center of the universe and I certainly don't think that at all. You are the one who is angry over this and trying to make me look a way that I am not. My agreeance upon certain issues has no bearing on your life, and I don't see why you would think that I am trying to somehow insert myself as the cernter of the universe with an infallible opinion. I know I don't know everything, and maybe you should see yourself in the same light. We are only human. Fallible, and human.

And you don't know what I am "like". You have only spoken to me a couple of times, through text, on the internet. That's hardly enough interaction to know what a person is "like".

And again, you are speculating on things that I will say, but that I have not said. And you don't know who I am, what I know or how I came to believe in Jesus.

And atheism has ruined and ended countless lives as well, but yet I don't judge you on the merits of those in the past. I wonder why someone from a group of people that claims to be so tolerant is acting as a child who's mommy just took away his bottle.

And I also don't see how your opinion is of any merit simply because you know how evolution works. That does not follow.

And I am trying to learn, absolutely. But like I said, not from you. Maybe you should google how to have a grown-up conversation.

I do believe in God, but if your only refutation of that is that I can't "see" Him, then you've got a long way to go before ever even hoping to raise my eyebrows.

Thanks, no thanks. This conversation is over. See you in another thread.
27-03-2014, 06:48 PM
(27-03-2014 06:23 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-03-2014 05:50 PM)TheThinkingChristian Wrote:  I suppose it is here that I say that the burden of proof is on the one who affirms. I never said it wasn't true, just that I don't know. I'm still looking through the evidence Smile

I appreciate the sentiment. That's fine!

But to be unsure is to be either ignorant of the evidence or in denial. Ignorance is something the people here would love to help with. Denial is something to be abhorred.

Because seriously.

Well, while I don't like to be labeled ignorant, I suppose the label here would fit, because I simply do not know of all of the evidence for evolution.
[+] 2 users Like TheThinkingChristian's post