Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2011, 12:02 AM
I've been a big fan of TTA's videos on YouTube for a few months now. His newest video about the website (which I only visited once before) prompted me to join the forum. Another reason why I came here is because I was attacked on an Islamic creationism-based thread I recently started on another forum. The point of the thread was to ridicule an author’s flawed evidence against evolution and not creationism itself. What I typed was in no way disrespectful, but one user accused me of attacking Christianity. They then went on to explain how they thought Atheism was a religion and that most people are Atheist because they have “lazy minds.” Everyone else who read my first post all agreed that it was in no way disrespectful. The person claims they are an Atheist-turned-Christian, so I get the feeling they have some inner demons they are dealing with at the moment. Instead of staying on the topic of the book, the thread degenerated into an argument over creationism vs. evolution between the other members.

How did I come to be an Atheist? I come from a semi-religious family. Although my family has been Southern Baptist for generations (and still is) my grandmother was taught in a Catholic school. She almost became a nun. Growing up, my family never attended church, but my grandmother and mother both read the bible every night before they went to bed. I didn’t start going to church until my parents got a divorce and my father began to date a religious woman. I attended Sunday school, but it never made sense to me. I was eventually asked if I fully accepted Jesus as my lord and savior. I didn’t want to disappoint anyone, so I said yes and was baptized. I didn’t feel any different about religion after this took place. Once my father and the lady broke up, I didn’t attend church anymore. I didn’t really know what an Atheist was at that point in my life. I guess you could say I was more of an agnostic. I felt like there probably was a god, but s/he just didn’t have any sway over my life. In high school, I met some like-minded people. It was then when I realized that I did not believe in any type of deity. Some years after I got out of the military, I took some university level biology courses and learned about evolution in more detail. I don’t recall learning that much about it in high school (that’s the south for you). The classes opened my eyes to the interconnected and interrelatedness of all living things on Earth. A later advanced biology class on Herpetology solidified my keen interest in evolutionary biology. It’s not really something I feel like I could do for a living, but I have several books on the subject. My mom apparently didn't know I was an Atheist. She just thought I was an Agnostic. I remember my Atheism arose in a conversation we were having. She said: “You aren’t really an Atheist.” And I said: “Of course I am, I thought you knew.” My step-dad is an Atheist too, but I didn’t know that until a year or so ago.

I actually prefer the term "Godless" over Atheist. I realize that is what it literally means, but there is just something about the latter that I like more. Maybe it’s because being godless has had such a negative connotation throughout many cultures. It's usually associated with someone who is a blasphemer, does uncivilized things, or does not conform to societal norms. I like the last one because I don’t conform to the societal norm of blindly worshiping any god of my own. And when someone argues that Atheism is a religion, I can say: “What are you talking about? You can’t have a religion if you are godless.” Now a little more about myself.

I hail from the Midwest. I served in the US Army 82nd Airborne Division for three years and went overseas in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. I am currently majoring in East Asian Languages and Cultures with an emphasis on Chinese. I would also like to learn Arabic and Hindi at some point. All of these are important economic languages.

My interests range from anthropology to zoology, but history is my true passion. I tend to focus on Asian and Judeo-Islamic cultures, hence my interest in the Kaifeng Jews of China. I enjoy reading, writing, and drawing. I normally read reference books on history, religion and mythology, and evolutionary biology. On the rare occasion that I draw, I work on MS Paint. I find it is much more relaxing when you can hit "undo" to fix a mistake as opposed to starting all over again with paper. You can see some of my computer drawings here on deviant art. Here is a poster I whipped up for the Rapture. The picture actually comes from a card series from the early 90s called Dinosaurs Attack!

[Image: dinosaurposter.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-05-2011, 06:48 AM
RE: Hello
welcome, i like your reason to say godless. in my area i have to say agnostic and slowly lead it to atheism so they don't jump to stereotypes and misconceptions.Dodgy

but again Welcome

Google is one of my best friends Heart
Find all posts by this user
27-05-2011, 05:01 PM
(27-05-2011 12:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I actually prefer the term "Godless" over Atheist.

I like godless better too. One nice thing about being godless is that you know going in you're a heathen/infidel/whatever to almost everyone you meet. It's nice to know where you stand going in. Gives me a social advantage. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-05-2011, 04:18 AM
Hey Ghostexorcist,

Always nice to see (former) servicemen on the forum. There goes the 'there is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole'-theory Big Grin.

I really look forward to reading your posts. Especially if you've got a good background in biology and history.

Have fun!

Naval greetings,

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)