Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Hello!
Hello everyone!

I decided to join this site after many hours of watching videos on youtube about science and religion. I found The Thinking Atheist among a lot of other atheist channels and it stood out in a welcoming way. I felt it was time to connect with some fellow logical thinkers and have some discussions. Often I find myself arguing with my family about viewpoints and I'm really tired of it. I'm hoping this place will be a place I can get some rest and maybe even some insight.

I come from a Christian background and my parents are divorced. I live with my mom and little brother. From the moment I could speak I always said I wanted to be a scientist but I never knew what that meant until very recently. My childhood was filled with many obstacles and my last years of highschool were the only years I really started paying attention to what I was learning. I'm 18 right now and want to go into college, but I'm torn between science and the arts. I started making music about 2 years ago now and I want to learn more about composition and recording. At the same time I've discovered a passion for science and learning about the universe. This passion has led me to some conclusions I wish I had made a long time ago. Childhood indoctrination should be a crime. I never learned about evolution, I wasn't allowed to watch things like Star Wars, and I never knew how far away the stars are. Instead I was put into homeschool after my father got into a fight with my teacher in 3rd grade. From then until I graduated, I stayed at home having to learn from textbooks and eventually the internet. Oh, the internet. I owe so much to people who have taken their time to share their knowledge and experience with me through videos and blogs. Without the web, I wouldn't have found out what was going on in the world. I was very sheltered as a kid, so having the internet made all the difference to me. I'm very thankful that I could make friends and learn new ideas. Now I'm free of my old way of thinking and I can look forward to exploring the world.

That's pretty much a quick look back on my life up to this point. There's a lot of gritty details but I'm sure I'll get to talk more with people on here about many things. Like I said, I'm interested in music and science, so there's a wide range of discussions to be had, I'm sure. I hope I can find some people who relate to me and want to share their thoughts as well. Thanks for reading!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Cyvas's post
10-06-2014, 10:06 PM
RE: Hello!
Hello nice to meet you! Welcome to the forum Smile

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
10-06-2014, 11:38 PM
Hello, nice to meet you!

Welcome to the group. Smile

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
10-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Praise the Internet. Praise it with great praise.

Big Grin

Welcome aboard.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-06-2014, 02:44 AM
Welcome. Here is your welcome gecko.

[Image: Coleonyx-mitratus-6915.jpg]

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
11-06-2014, 11:06 AM
(11-06-2014 02:44 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Welcome. Here is your welcome gecko.

Thank you! I love geckos.
11-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Welcome Cyvas
Science and music, I think you'll like it here.
11-06-2014, 12:13 PM
(11-06-2014 11:06 AM)Cyvas Wrote:  
(11-06-2014 02:44 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  Welcome. Here is your welcome gecko.

Thank you! I love geckos.

Welcome.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
26-07-2014, 03:42 PM
[Image: 145979.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
26-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Welcome cyvas, I worked as a musician for years, my interest in science came much later in life. There are some absolute gems of people on here! I hope you stick around!

I'll just play the 'can I help you' lick!!!