Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Hello
My name is Jim, I 68 years old and have been an undeclared Atheist most of my life. Undeclared because avoidance was preferential to dealing with the religious indoctrination of my youth and the continual pressures of society to accept the fallacy of a belief system that is ultimately detrimental to the emotional, mental and physical well-being of mankind.
I confess to being a social coward, in that I did not choose confrontation within my social and family groups when the question of religion came up. The only mitigating factor being that I did not believe and still don't that I have sufficient standing within those groups to be an advocate for common sense. (Nor do I have the debating skills to adequately defend my views).
I come here just because I wish to occasionally find refuge from the dogma of the sectarian masses. Dodgy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like otp's post
06-10-2014, 01:24 PM
RE: Hello
Dear Jim,

Welcome to our community.

Best wishes,
From another social coward. Big Grin

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Quote:I confess to being a social coward

There's no need to beat yourself up for perceived cowardice, especially if you were living in a religious area. Self-preservation is a pretty primal instinct and nothing to be ashamed about. It certainly has to be easier to be an atheist today than it was in years past. The important thing is that you kept true to your intellect.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-10-2014, 01:35 PM
I just love your intro!! Big Grin
Welcome and very much look forward to your posts.

Be true to yourself. Heart
06-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
06-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Welcome, I practiced avoidance for a long time as well, now I am a beast Evil_monster

Welcome

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
06-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Welcome aboard Jim! Thumbsup
07-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Welcome to TTA otp. I hope you stick around. A great way to boost your debate skills is by increasing your knowledge and this is a great place to do that.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
08-10-2014, 11:27 PM
I feel you Jim. I am currently in the same state, and prob would come out in the open after I graduate from law school. I wish to know you better in hope that your unfortunate circumstances would be a story that would inspire people to choose intellect rather than dogmas as a way of life. Welcome aboard, Jim!
09-10-2014, 02:29 AM
Welcome Jim! I grew up in a pretty secular household so I can't imagine what it's like to have to keep it a secret like that but I certainly don't blame you for doing that and I know if I were in your shoes i'd be the same way and I'm sure a lot of other people would too so don't feel bad about it. This is a great community that's ready to listen and help you learn if you ever have any questions. Hope you enjoy your stay.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze