Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Hello
Hello,

I'm CosaNostra. There is a good reason for that username aside from the fact that Michael has already been taken (hi, Michael).

I live in Florida in the US and in the most ridiculously "Christian" part of the state. I moved here from California in November after my wife retired. Living here is fairly inexpensive and living in California is not. A trade off, I guess.

I'm part of a vast minority of skeptics in this area. So vast is the minority that I've yet to find anyone who would even entertain questioning her or his religious dogma - mostly Christian.

During the recent Christmas season, the decorations in front of the homes in my community were convoluted, conflating "patriotism" with religiosity. There were nativity scenes draped with American flags. I found this to be just a bit jingoistic yet humorous, not to mention typically American and sad.

I joined this forum so I wouldn't feel so all alone.

I don't mind sharing that I'm 65 and have been a non-believer for the greatest part of my time on this planet.

Just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to the discussions that take place here at TTA.

I have a signature that I've been using ever since the advent of the internet or at least the advent of access to the internet by non military personnel. The signature is "To friendship". It assumes and presumes nothing. I would merely rather salute friendship than the hate and intolerance which seems to have grown over the past thirty or so years without consideration of the consequences.

To friendship,
CN
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like CosaNostra's post
02-01-2016, 06:14 PM
RE: Hello
Hi! Welcome; you'll find lots of like-minded folks here.
02-01-2016, 06:14 PM
(02-01-2016 06:08 PM)CosaNostra Wrote:  Hello,

I'm CosaNostra. There is a good reason for that username aside from the fact that Michael has already been taken (hi, Michael).

I live in Florida in the US and in the most ridiculously "Christian" part of the state. I moved here from California in November after my wife retired. Living here is fairly inexpensive and living in California is not. A trade off, I guess.

I'm part of a vast minority of skeptics in this area. So vast is the minority that I've yet to find anyone who would even entertain questioning her or his religious dogma - mostly Christian.

During the recent Christmas season, the decorations in front of the homes in my community were convoluted, conflating "patriotism" with religiosity. There were nativity scenes draped with American flags. I found this to be just a bit jingoistic yet humorous, not to mention typically American and sad.

I joined this forum so I wouldn't feel so all alone.

I don't mind sharing that I'm 65 and have been a non-believer for the greatest part of my time on this planet.

Just wanted to say hello and I'm looking forward to the discussions that take place here at TTA.

I have a signature that I've been using ever since the advent of the internet or at least the advent of access to the internet by non military personnel. The signature is "To friendship". It assumes and presumes nothing. I would merely rather salute friendship than the hate and intolerance which seems to have grown over the past thirty or so years without consideration of the consequences.

To friendship,
CN

It was somewhere on the west coast of Florida that I saw a manger scene that included swine!
02-01-2016, 06:35 PM
(02-01-2016 06:14 PM)julep Wrote:  Hi! Welcome; you'll find lots of like-minded folks here.

Thanks, Julep. I guess that's the point. I sure as hell won't find many where I am. No

To friendship,
CN
02-01-2016, 06:40 PM
There are some members here from Florida, so they DO exist. Smile Welcome !
02-01-2016, 06:41 PM
(02-01-2016 06:40 PM)skyking Wrote:  There are some members here from Florida, so they DO exist. Smile Welcome !

But does Florida really exist? Are we sure?
02-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Welcome, there are lots of fun threads and serious ones too.

Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
02-01-2016, 06:55 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
02-01-2016, 07:13 PM
Thanks, ya'll (some people, not all, use that colloquialism down here - it can be handy. I think in New York, where much of my family lives, the plural for you is "youse").

I'm going to start reading some of the threads. I hope I can contribute to the satisfaction of those who not only agree with me but who disagree as well.

I've belonged to a couple of message boards and this is the first message board to actually warn perspective members that the fight is fought with the gloves off. Although I'd rather not do that, and I won't engage in ad hominem attacks, I've learned how to hold my own in passionate discussions. If someone attacks my character or attacks me in any ad hominem manner, I'll feel as if I've won that debate. It won't have to go any further. I'm convinced that those kinds of personal attacks are used when one has nothing more of value to add to a discussion.

I'm just sayin'. Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like CosaNostra's post
02-01-2016, 07:19 PM
(02-01-2016 07:13 PM)CosaNostra Wrote:  Thanks, ya'll (some people, not all, use that colloquialism down here - it can be handy. I think in New York, where much of my family lives, the plural for you is "youse").

I'm going to start reading some of the threads. I hope I can contribute to the satisfaction of those who not only agree with me but who disagree as well.

I've belonged to a couple of message boards and this is the first message board to actually warn perspective members that the fight is fought with the gloves off. Although I'd rather not do that, and I won't engage in ad hominem attacks, I've learned how to hold my own in passionate discussions. If someone attacks my character or attacks me in any ad hominem manner, I'll feel as if I've won that debate. It won't have to go any further. I'm convinced that those kinds of personal attacks are used when one has nothing more of value to add to a discussion.

I'm just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

***yaaaawwwnnn*** Lets cut to the chase... you got bacon, or no? Dodgy
Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]