Hello.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Smile Hello.
I don't really know why it took me this long to finally register an account in this forum (having discovered it almost a year ago or so), but here I am at last!

I'm Candie and I live in Washington State. I grew up along the west coast, and in a very Christian household. I've sampled different Christian (and other) belief systems throughout my youth, through my parents and on my own. Eventually, I had realized my beliefs - in spite of how strongly I believed in them - weren't bringing me a sense of fulfillment, worth, or any kind of genuine positivity.

I stepped away from my Christian beliefs after considering all their falsehoods, and decided I was more of a deist. That only lasted a short while, and just a few months later, I realized I was indeed an atheist. A few weeks after this revelation, my mother died of a heart attack at 56. It was a tremendous and extremely traumatic loss for me, especially when the only people around to help me were religious. Talking about my mother's death as an atheist was and has been difficult - I was lucky that I had found a secular grief support group that has made me feel safe.

I'm grateful that this situation hasn't ruined the more important relationships in my life, though; my best friend is Mormon, and so is the rest of her family, but they've never imposed their beliefs onto me and have accepted me as a part of their family without expectations. I did lose a couple of friends, but the loss became not so great once the reasons why they chose not to be my friend really sank in.

I really hope to gain a lot of great experiences in this forum - and friends, too, of course! It'll be nice to meet you all. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2016, 03:22 PM
RE: Hello.
Welcome! Hoping to see you post a lot in the forum! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-01-2016, 03:32 PM
Welcome Smile
20-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Hug

Welcome to the forum Candie!

Loosing a loved one whether you're in a religion or not is always hard. I've experienced on both sides.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
20-01-2016, 04:38 PM
Just so you know, there is only one good reason to reject any god claim, and that is evidence, not because bad happens in your life, bad happens to everyone to greater and lesser degrees and the ultimate bad is the end of the ride and that happens to all humans.

Yea, I know what you mean about losing loved ones, lost my dad at 12, buried two sets of grandparents, saw a few of my mom''s very close friends die. And even with her being alive and healthy as she can be, her mobility problems and a slight sniffle from her freaks me out. I don't know how I will handle it when that time comes, and hopefully not for a long time.

But you are in good company here, lots of brainy people, funny people, and opinionated people, like me. But if you ever feel stumped by a theists argument, never give up on the spot, if you don't know something, or feel like you cant counter it at the moment, bounce it off other atheists, someone is surely, given time to show you the fallacies and errors in their arguments.

Welcome.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Welcome aboard Candie. Enjoy.
20-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Welcome to TTA. Jump right in.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-01-2016, 04:53 PM
(20-01-2016 03:08 PM)caadam Wrote:  I don't really know why it took me this long to finally register an account in this forum (having discovered it almost a year ago or so), but here I am at last!

I'm Candie and I live in Washington State. I grew up along the west coast, and in a very Christian household. I've sampled different Christian (and other) belief systems throughout my youth, through my parents and on my own. Eventually, I had realized my beliefs - in spite of how strongly I believed in them - weren't bringing me a sense of fulfillment, worth, or any kind of genuine positivity.

I stepped away from my Christian beliefs after considering all their falsehoods, and decided I was more of a deist. That only lasted a short while, and just a few months later, I realized I was indeed an atheist. A few weeks after this revelation, my mother died of a heart attack at 56. It was a tremendous and extremely traumatic loss for me, especially when the only people around to help me were religious. Talking about my mother's death as an atheist was and has been difficult - I was lucky that I had found a secular grief support group that has made me feel safe.

I'm grateful that this situation hasn't ruined the more important relationships in my life, though; my best friend is Mormon, and so is the rest of her family, but they've never imposed their beliefs onto me and have accepted me as a part of their family without expectations. I did lose a couple of friends, but the loss became not so great once the reasons why they chose not to be my friend really sank in.

I really hope to gain a lot of great experiences in this forum - and friends, too, of course! It'll be nice to meet you all. Smile

I know what it's like to have to grieve while surrounded by nothing but religious people! Sad
One more, "there with gawd now", and I'd have torn somebody's head clean off! Angry

But your with friends, now!! Hug

Welcome! Shy Jump right in!

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
20-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
20-01-2016, 05:19 PM
Nice,

Welcome fellow Washingtonian. The nice thing is, around here (at least on the west side) religion isn't usually a topic of interest. People mostly do their own thing.

Also, sorry about your Mom. 10 years ago ~ish would have been when my mom was that age and it would have been devastating.

Have fun here, try not to get addicted Smile.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.