Hello.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2016, 05:21 PM
RE: Hello.
(20-01-2016 04:38 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  Just so you know, there is only one good reason to reject any god claim, and that is evidence, not because bad happens in your life, bad happens to everyone to greater and lesser degrees and the ultimate bad is the end of the ride and that happens to all humans.

That was an issue I ran into a few times after my mother died. Once I came out as an atheist, my friends assumed that it was my mother's death that triggered my atheism. It wasn't - I'd figured out I was an atheist a few weeks before she passed.

I think what irritated me was the resolve I heard in some of my friends' voices when they'd said something like, "Was it because your mom died?" It wasn't ever a real question. Granted, many people become atheists after a loss such as mine, but I feel that some spiritual people use that scenario as a way of dismissing the validity of someone's secularism. I digress on that, though - I could go on and on about how I feel about that. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2016, 05:25 PM
(20-01-2016 05:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Nice,

Welcome fellow Washingtonian. The nice thing is, around here (at least on the west side) religion isn't usually a topic of interest. People mostly do their own thing.

Also, sorry about your Mom. 10 years ago ~ish would have been when my mom was that age and it would have been devastating.

Have fun here, try not to get addicted Smile.

I live in a heavily Mormon populated city, though lol. So religion is something I run into often - not very strongly, but everyone assumes everyone believes in god around here. I've been in some awkward situations because of that.

My mom died two years and two days ago. My grief is still pretty raw at times, but learning to work with the waves gets easier and easier.
20-01-2016, 05:38 PM
(20-01-2016 05:25 PM)caadam Wrote:  I live in a heavily Mormon populated city, though lol. So religion is something I run into often - not very strongly, but everyone assumes everyone believes in god around here. I've been in some awkward situations because of that.

My mom died two years and two days ago. My grief is still pretty raw at times, but learning to work with the waves gets easier and easier.
Oh, wow I didn't even know we had heavily populated Mormon areas on the west side of WA. If it's on the east side...I almost consider that a different state as that side is all weird and stuff Tongue.

Time is the best remedy for grief in my experience. Even if it takes years to not be sad because of a thought. Also, "choosing" to smile at memories instead of cry can help.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
21-01-2016, 01:40 AM
Welcome!

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-01-2016, 04:30 AM
Hello. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-01-2016, 07:34 AM
Hello! Big Grin
21-01-2016, 08:12 AM
Welcome. Enjoy the conversations. They are very interesting.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
21-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Welcome! Now I have Adell singing "Hello" over and over again in my head. Damnit!

Welcome anyway. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.