Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 04:51 AM
RE: Hello!
Thank you guys. It's been pretty nuts, and part of me is still clinging to faith, even trying to throw a few prayers in the air now and again. I guess it'll pass in time. My wife is the most confused about this, as she thinks I'm just depressed and I'll bounce back within the next couple of years and find my faith again. And she has good reason to believe so -- I "de-converted" once already and found myself back in church later on. She doesn't appreciate my wishy washy nature about religion and frankly neither the hell do I, lol. I hate it.

I'm gonna keep browsing and posting on the forum here and trying to keep my vision clear. Thanks again.

“If a believer demands that I, as a nonbeliever, observe his taboos in the public domain, he is not asking for my respect, but for my submission.” ― Flemming Rose
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 10:20 AM
(24-01-2016 04:51 AM)Capn. Irrelevant Wrote:  Thank you guys. It's been pretty nuts, and part of me is still clinging to faith, even trying to throw a few prayers in the air now and again. I guess it'll pass in time. My wife is the most confused about this, as she thinks I'm just depressed and I'll bounce back within the next couple of years and find my faith again. And she has good reason to believe so -- I "de-converted" once already and found myself back in church later on. She doesn't appreciate my wishy washy nature about religion and frankly neither the hell do I, lol. I hate it.

I'm gonna keep browsing and posting on the forum here and trying to keep my vision clear. Thanks again.

The wishy washy nature in the beginning is normal. You've been brainwashed by the church. In my experience, most previously religious atheists I know didn't just flip a switch and become an atheist overnight. It takes time and contemplation. It took me about two years of soul searching (for lack of a better word) and reading and watching debates and talking to other atheists before I finally felt secure enough to kick religion's ass out the door. I remember even Seth said that it took him about three years to finally break free.

When you are brainwashed to fear hell, taught that a magical sky daddy is watching your every move, and risk the loss of religious family and friends if you decide to leave the church--breaking free from all of that is not easy.

I have read a lot of books on religion and watched many debates. The ones that helped me flip the switch were:

1. Actually reading the entire Bible
2. Getting a non-woo Bible commentary (The IVP Bible Background Commentary is a good one).
3. Watching lots of atheist-christian debates (in particular one with Dawkins and Cardinal Pell--it's on you tube).
4. Reading The Bible: A Historical and Literary Introduction by Bart Ehrman.
5. Reading the Skeptic's Annotated Bible by Steve Wells (available online, but I prefer book format).
6. Read all of Guy P. Harrison's books
7. Reading creation myths and beliefs from other cultures (look up Cargo Cults in particular, again on you tube).
8. Join groups like this one where you can surround yourself with other free thinkers.
9. Make a list of questions/concerns you have about leaving church/religion and not believing anymore. Then search out the truth to each of those.
10. Look up characteristics of brainwashing and compare to your religious indoctrination.

Hope this helps!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
25-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Hello and Welcome and JennyBee has nailed it.

“Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.”
― Optimus Prime
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes HawkofFreedom's post