Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Hello
Hello,

I stumbled on this forum and just wanted to say Hello.

I've been a self proclaimed atheist for about 5-6 years and was ignorant of the fact that I was really an atheist longer before that. I was raised and spent the first 25+ years or so of my life as a Christian, specifically was raised a Southern Baptist and was very devout for a good deal of my early life. My father was at one point a Southern Baptist pastor and we had our own little church (in a big city). The rest of my family is still very religious though at least my parents have been surprisingly open to me sharing my dropping of beliefs.

Though I think my mom thinks it's just a phase lol. Slowly over the years I think she's been realizing that I genuinely no longer believe in a God. Ironically though my father is the more active one in religion (he has a small church again, though for most of my childhood after the age of 5-6 or so he wasn't a pastor but active in churches in other ways) I think he believed me when I first told him I no longer believe. Probably stemming from the fact he didn't grow up religious and didn't become a Christian until his late 20s or so (I guess it's a bit ironic we both are opposites in that regard at about the same age).

In any case I look forward to conversing with fellow Atheists. Despite being in the San Francisco Bay area (was raised in Arizona so a lot more religious and non-religious variety here) I don't find too many Atheists that are interested in talking about things (a bit but not often).

My wife is also atheist, she was born and raised in Utah as a Mormon (in a multi-generational family of Mormons, one of her ancestors was a very early LDS member and a father of a plural wife of Joseph Smith)... we both became atheists together at the same time. In hindsight separated from our religious environments it was inevitable since we are both fairly rational people.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like MattL's post
11-03-2016, 03:13 PM
RE: Hello
Welcome!
11-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Hello,welcome!
11-03-2016, 03:36 PM

#sigh
11-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Hi Smile
11-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Hello back! Shy
And welcome! Big Grin

11-03-2016, 04:04 PM
I think you will find many here who share that background. Welcome aboard

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
11-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Welcome, Matt. Be sure to wipe your feet.
11-03-2016, 06:14 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
11-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Welcome! Or as they say in my native land, welcome!

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user