Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Hello!
Hi there! I'm a Christian, husband, father, and truth-seeker. It's easy to get lost in one's own bubble, so I figured I'd come over to TTA and see what the "other side" has to offer. I have a general interest in atheism, and am reasonably familiar with Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, and a few others. I enjoy philosophy and theology, though I have no formal training in either subject.

I think if you benefit from a forum you should register, rather than lurk, so here I am! Looking forward to knocking around a few ideas. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 04:41 PM
RE: Hello!
Welcome!

As Christian in an atheist forum, you can enjoy interesting conversations. Remember though to treat people with respect, and not to apply stereotypes to them. People here are from every walk of life, all over the globe, young and old, rich and poor and what have you. The only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in any gods.

That said, you sound like you could be a nice fit in the forum. Pull up a chair and chime right in!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
15-06-2016, 04:56 PM
welcome Smile
15-06-2016, 06:13 PM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 07:11 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Welcome to TTA. I can only hope we shatter the stereotypes you might have about us. I certainly picked up many terrible ideas about who and what atheists were, when I was still listening to my church's Baptist ministers/evangelists.

Do keep in mind that we have a few members who have been "burned" pretty badly by the behavior of jerks in the Christian social circles, and they hold some pretty harsh attitudes toward believers of any sort, but most especially Christians, so you may have to practice your "turn the other cheek" philosophy more than you'd like (and more than you should have to). It is an unfortunate side-effect of psychological abuse, and it often leads Christian posters here to state that (as their preachers told them to expect) all atheists are "just angry at God". Even in the case of our angriest posters, though, they are not angry at God or the idea of God; rather, they are angry at the stuff humans wrote about God in the Bible and other holy books, and the behavior of Believers toward those who question or disbelieve.

All that said, we do have a few theist posters who are among our most cherished members. Shai Hulud is a Catholic, and KingsChosen is a Protestant, and they are two of my favorite people here. Aliza is Jewish, and I kinda have an intellectual crush on her. The key, I think, to becoming a cherished member rather than a derided target is to have a good working knowledge of science (and listen to those of us, myself included, who are/were working scientists, when we say things like "no scientist says what you claim they say"), and to respect--not simply tolerate--those who do not accept your mythology.

That's another thing... many of us will use language you may consider unfair to your pet ideas, like my use of "mythology" and "pet ideas". However, it really is a mythology, even if it happens to be a true one. If you start getting angry because I/others refuse to show the expected degree of respect and deference for "sacred" ideas, you're going to have a hard time.

I hope you take this advice to heart, and become a valued member. I think we need more theist counterpoints around here. It is intellectually unhealthy to live in an "echo chamber" where everyone agrees with you, regardless of what ideas you hold, and that includes us.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 7 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Welcome!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
16-06-2016, 03:16 AM
Hello! Big Grin
16-06-2016, 03:43 AM
Welcome OP Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-06-2016, 04:14 AM
(15-06-2016 03:35 PM)QED Wrote:  Hi there! I'm a Christian, husband, father, and truth-seeker. It's easy to get lost in one's own bubble, so I figured I'd come over to TTA and see what the "other side" has to offer. I have a general interest in atheism, and am reasonably familiar with Dawkins, Harris, Hitchens, and a few others. I enjoy philosophy and theology, though I have no formal training in either subject.

I think if you benefit from a forum you should register, rather than lurk, so here I am! Looking forward to knocking around a few ideas. Smile

Oh, a Christian. Quick guys, grab the copies of God is Not Great and get him!

Nah, I hope your time here is informative and enjoyable. Just don't mind the more... zealous... members of the forum.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
16-06-2016, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome! As for stereotypes, I try to avoid them since they don't do any real intellectual work. Even if it were true that most/all atheists are angry at God (to borrow the example), this tells me nothing about the truth of (a)theism. Besides, I don't think it's proper to comment on other peoples' motivations. That's between them and God. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes QED's post
16-06-2016, 07:31 AM
(16-06-2016 07:16 AM)QED Wrote:  Thanks for the warm welcome! As for stereotypes, I try to avoid them since they don't do any real intellectual work. Even if it were true that most/all atheists are angry at God (to borrow the example), this tells me nothing about the truth of (a)theism. Besides, I don't think it's proper to comment on other peoples' motivations. That's between them and God. Smile

Yabut....... which diety(s)?

Tongue

Big Grin

Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post