Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 02:55 PM
Hello
I wanted to introduce myself and wondered if anyone had a similar way they got into religion...

Thinking back I don't remember going to church in my early childhood. It started when I was about 6. My mom began having problems and hearing voices and other schizophrenic tendencies. Her one brother told her that it was god talking to her. Around that time is when she began to take my sister and I to church. I think back and I also remember my dad never went he would either stay at home or go into work I think as an excuse to not attend.

My sister and I continued going as my mom went in and out of mental hospitals since she would never stay on her medication. Eventually my dad filed for divorce for our safety after my mom tried to "baptise" me in the bathtub and I was fearing she was trying to drown me and since talking to my dad he started wondering about our safety around her.

Things continued as normal after that my mom not staying on medication and us going to church every Sunday till we moved because of my dad's job. I always felt a little weird in church wondering if it was just me that though some of the stuff I was told. Didn't make since.

This then begins my freshman year in high school. Since my dad never went to church we didn't search out a church after moving after a while a friend I made suggested I go to a youth group that they went to. I mainly went because I wanted to see the friends I made since moving but also knew at this point I didn't miss church. Also sometime in my freshman year my mom passed away. I don't remember saying it but my dad has told my wife he didn't know how to respond I had told him I was glad she died at the funeral. Looking back I understand why I said that because all she had to do was stay on medicine and she would be fine. I couldn't fathom why she couldn't do that.

After going to the youth group a little over a year they played music and different games and such there was maybe only 15 minutes or so where they talked about god or the bible. They were looking for someone to do video editing and help run sound and video equipment. Myself being a computer geek and liking music liked the idea and ended up doing that.

As I started doing the video editing and getting bible verses together I started noticing vast differences between the way I was taught in the baptist church I was brought up in and the way this youth group taught. And the more I did it the less I believed.

I remember sitting in this almost closet they had the computer for video editing in and just started laughing the one day and though to my self how ironic an atheist editing video for a christian youth group. As this is when I finally realized I didn't believe any of it anymore.

After I completed high school I was asked if I was going to be staying in the area and continue helping the youth group and lead them as well. I declined saying I would be busy with school never telling them my beliefs had changed.

As I look back today also after talking to some of my family I have found out my grandmother on my mom's side was not religious. I found this out from a cousin my sister and I were the youngest she was 10 years older than myself. Which I guess explains why suddenly this came up when my mom when she became schizophrenic.

Also I have found though talking to my dad he is more like me than I would ever believe after I bough up listening to The God Delusion at work one day since I honestly had never looked into any books because I honestly never cared for sitting and reading book.

My job now I am a welder I enjoy listening to audio-books and podcasts to pass the time. Glad my company allows us to wear headphones while we work.

But this leads me back to what I posted at the beginning is there anyone else who ended up getting into religion because of a mentally ill family member? I haven't heard a podcast from Seth coming at it from that direction and would be curious if he has could someone tell me which one. Or suggest it I would be very curious.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes stsofuc's post
03-02-2017, 03:30 PM
RE: Hello
Welcome!

Thanks for sharing your story. Sadly, I can see how some churches may still, even in this day and age, view mental illness as being possessed by demons and therefore, church and godly support are utilized as a remedy. It's sad that this type of thinking is still out there as "going with God" only prolongs or withholds medical care from those who need it and could truly benefit from it.
03-02-2017, 03:43 PM
Welcome stsofuc.

While I didn't originally get into religion because of the mental illness of a family member, it was at least partially due to a traffic accident my now-ex-wife had and the church community that rallied around her, and us, during her recovery.

But that's another story for another time.

Glad you found this little slice of the interwebs, stsofuc. We're happy that you're here.
03-02-2017, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
03-02-2017, 04:49 PM
Looking back, I want to classify my family members who took me as mentally ill, but they aren't, technically. Tongue

Welcome to TTA! Shy

03-02-2017, 07:00 PM
Welcome I just joined up this week. Sorry you had to go through that ordeal as a child. In my youth one thing I had happened was my mother got us kids involved in a what I know now as a Pentecostal church after starting of baptist. Everything was fine under the brainwashing we endured as a kid until someone started speaking in tongues. Of course it scared the shit out of me and my younger brothers!!! We were like 6,8 and me at 10. So next thing we know my our mother is screaming hestercslly and speaking jibberish and went to the front of the church as we watched in horror. All the kids were shuffled out of the church. I asked an older boy what was going on and he said your mother is being possessed by the devil!!! (Shock horror theme plays in my head)!!! WTF so the preachers was doing all this oiniting while she is screaming for my father who wasn't even in the church never went they told us it was a struggle with god and the devil!! Anyway we went home later stilled frightened by her she told us the story of the7 demons and she had them in her and they were all gone or so we thought! After several episodes of her outburst at home and praying in closets and looking at us kids and their evil laughter when we would ask her to go out and play was horrifying. Oviously demons were still there. One night I hear this noise and I run downstairs and my mother is yelling at my dad to go get Gloria in this deep creepy voice! My dad was in his boxers in the middle of the street asking where she lived well Gloria was a lady from the church we were in. Gloria camr over and they prayed all night it seemed while we looked in horror through the window. Gloria's husband told us that there was one demon left! So the days months weeks went by episode after episode praying on fields closets and reading the Bible for hours. My dad who had enough put her in a phy ward for 6 months. There's more but that's the just of it. As I got older and to college my roommate hearing me tell the story of her being possessed by the devil said she was phycogical delusional and was Skziphrinc.... me being a believer at the time argued with him but actually that was my first view of logic and trying to research mores d more about possessions and demonic episodes and my liking to horror movies.. go figure.. so your not alone in the sense these churches or the Pentecostal and baptist really make you feel scared to leave it and like to tell kids to watch out..well it worked on me just glad your out and know that you did nothing. My mother was diagnosed as paranoid Skzophernia but would never take her meds.. so I stay away as she does not know me she thinks I'm her abusive ex husband that abused us kids and her as anAir Force Brat so keep this quiet for years! Again welcome aboard!
03-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Welcome! I don't know of any people that got to church by way of insanity.
03-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
03-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Hello! Big Grin
04-02-2017, 01:37 AM
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.