Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Smile Hello
I'm Kat, 25, from Boston. I have no exciting or perilous coming-out story as I've been an atheist for as long as I was old enough to understand what that meant, but religion in general is extremely interesting to me. I love meeting others & chatting about anything & everything. My main interests other than religion (and resisting it) are:

- Metal (of the musical variety)
- Travel
- The outdoors (I love to hike, ski, and snowboard)
- Typical nerdy stuff like gaming, reading fantasy novels, and SCIENCE!

I'm also obviously a fan of the podcast, and figured I should come say hi over here. So, hi!

"Jag vill ha vetskap. Inte tro, inte antaganden, utan vetskap." - Antonius Block
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2011, 02:10 PM
RE: Hello
Hi back to you, and welcome! Hope you'll find the forum edifying and stimulating.

(And nice to see another fan of Det sjunde inseglet. Smile )

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
08-11-2011, 03:01 PM
(08-11-2011 02:10 PM)cufflink Wrote:  (And nice to see another fan of Det sjunde inseglet. Smile )

Smile It's one of my favorites!

"Jag vill ha vetskap. Inte tro, inte antaganden, utan vetskap." - Antonius Block
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
(08-11-2011 03:01 PM)kvanderwyk Wrote:  
(08-11-2011 02:10 PM)cufflink Wrote:  (And nice to see another fan of Det sjunde inseglet. Smile )

Smile It's one of my favorites!

Welcome to the boards!

From Boston, awesome! I'm from Maine myself, but I live in Florida now (couldn't stand the winters any more). I miss it sometimes during the summers, but not during the winters. Big Grin

What type of gaming interests you? What about fantasy novel authors, who do you like?
08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Yet another gamer. Good. Not enough gamers around here.
Welcome to the forum.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
09-11-2011, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 09:53 AM by kvanderwyk.)
(08-11-2011 03:08 PM)kineo Wrote:  Welcome to the boards!

From Boston, awesome! I'm from Maine myself, but I live in Florida now (couldn't stand the winters any more). I miss it sometimes during the summers, but not during the winters. Big Grin

What type of gaming interests you? What about fantasy novel authors, who do you like?

Thanks! Oooh, I love Maine. Smile And winter is my favorite time of year, even with all the trouble it brings. It's just so pretty, hehe.

As for games I'm an RPG fan. Looking forward to picking up Skyrim on Friday, and after that my next game will probably be Diablo 3. I'm also completely addicted to Minecraft.... Blush

Favorite authors are George R.R. Martin, Jim Butcher, J.K. Rowling, Orson Scott Card, Glen Cook, & Gene Wolfe. What about you?
(08-11-2011 04:19 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Yet another gamer. Good. Not enough gamers around here.
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Smile

09-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Winter is very beautiful to look at when you're inside in the warm watching the snow fall outside Big Grin. Or when you get bundled up and walk in an empty snow-covered field, that's just amazing. But the rest of it is too much for me, the every day freeze that makes it hard to breathe in the morning makes it hard to enjoy.

I play a variety of games- from RPGs, to FPs games. My wife and I play Minecraft together a lot, and we are looking forward to playing SWTOR together when it comes out next month. Skyrim is one I want to play also, but there are so many good games coming out this time of year that it's hard to choose!

As for authors, I have a difficult time finding fantasy authors that I like. I've been reading Tolkien and Dennis Mckiernan for a while now. I would like to find someone who writes in a similar style but it's hard to find a fantasy author that doesn't feel like fan fiction. If you would recommend checking out one of those authors you mentioned, which would you recommend? I'm on the lookout for something new. My wife and I both read the HP books (I only did after she prodded me to lol), and I was surprised that I enjoyed them. I went on to read them all.
09-11-2011, 11:09 AM
(09-11-2011 10:33 AM)kineo Wrote:  Winter is very beautiful to look at when you're inside in the warm watching the snow fall outside Big Grin. Or when you get bundled up and walk in an empty snow-covered field, that's just amazing. But the rest of it is too much for me, the every day freeze that makes it hard to breathe in the morning makes it hard to enjoy.
Very true! I suppose I just like the nice variety of seasons we have up here in New England too much to let it get me down.

(09-11-2011 10:33 AM)kineo Wrote:  I play a variety of games- from RPGs, to FPs games. My wife and I play Minecraft together a lot, and we are looking forward to playing SWTOR together when it comes out next month. Skyrim is one I want to play also, but there are so many good games coming out this time of year that it's hard to choose!
Yeah, I suck at FPS's and I find them to be too stressful anyway so that cuts down the choices a bit for me luckily, haha. SWTOR seems cool but I'm not a huge Star Wars person so I'll probably pass on that. Skyrim will take up plenty of my gaming time as it is, I'm sure.

(09-11-2011 10:33 AM)kineo Wrote:  As for authors, I have a difficult time finding fantasy authors that I like. I've been reading Tolkien and Dennis Mckiernan for a while now. I would like to find someone who writes in a similar style but it's hard to find a fantasy author that doesn't feel like fan fiction. If you would recommend checking out one of those authors you mentioned, which would you recommend? I'm on the lookout for something new. My wife and I both read the HP books (I only did after she prodded me to lol), and I was surprised that I enjoyed them. I went on to read them all.
If you're a fan of high fantasy like Tolkien and McKiernan you should definitely check out George R.R. Martin. IMO he's the best there is today. There's a lot of hype around his books right now because of the Game of Thrones series on HBO, and they deserve it! There's not quite as many traditional elves-and-magic-type elements in his books, it's more about political intrigue and the interactions between the mostly-human characters. But his character development is incredible and the story is awesome. So if I had to recommend just one author, he would be it. A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the series, and A Game of Thrones is the first book. There's 5 books so far and there will be 7 when it's all done. Smile