Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2017, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2017 11:34 PM by Azalea.)
Hello
I'm surrounded by religious fanatics, and I'm going to lose my mind if I don't find some intelligent people to talk to. This seemed like a good place to start, so here I am. I've lurked here over the years. I especially enjoy the funny pictures threads, so thank you all for that!

I am a former Catholic, still caught up in that world socially. I've also dabbled in Norse paganism, which is loads of fun on a cultural level, and I'm still kind of fond of it for that, but in the end it's the same old nonsense.

I'm dealing with some very stressful situations in my life, and I mainly turn to the internet to escape them, so I don't want to talk about that or anything too serious and depressing. I like jokes and good humor.

I also like cooking. Well, I like food, but I can't afford to eat at my favorite restaurants every day, so I kind of have to cook. I don't mind cooking. But if someone else can cook as well as I do, well then I'm fine with them doing the cooking and me just doing the eating, ya know?

I'm also very interested in languages. I worked in academia until... things went badly, and I won't talk about that. But I still enjoy languages and literature and history, mostly of Western Europe.

So, that's it. Thanks for having me here! Thanks for providing a respite from the stupidity I normally have to listen to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Azalea's post
06-09-2017, 12:12 PM
RE: Hello
Welcome!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-09-2017, 12:14 PM
Welcome, Moms just beat me in being the first!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Hello
Welcome. Good to have another person who like history Smile

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
06-09-2017, 12:35 PM
(06-09-2017 11:58 AM)Azalea Wrote:  Thanks for having me here! Thanks for providing a respite from the stupidity I normally have to listen to.

Join the fun!
Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
06-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Welcome to the forum.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
06-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Welcome!
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Glad you've decided to join the affray! What languages do you speak? You'll probably even find some here who speak Klingon. Not me though. All I speak is Southern American English. And smileys. And I am fluent in memes. I'm not familiar with Norse Paganism, but dabbled a teeny tiny bit with modern Druidism when I was seeking a non-Christian path on the way to becoming "outright atheist."

So the door is open, come on into the forum family!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
06-09-2017, 09:01 PM
(06-09-2017 11:58 AM)Azalea Wrote:  Thanks for providing a respite from the stupidity I normally have to listen to.

Just put me on ignore now.
[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post