Hello

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2011, 07:32 AM
Hello
Hello! I go by Left Brain, you can shorten it to LB if that's easier though.
I'm a novice graphic designer and a moderator over at GFXForums.net I've recently taken interest in TheThinkingAtheist's youtube channel and decided to check out the site, noticed there was a forum and decided to sign-up since I like forums. I was relieved when it was a myBB forum because it's what I'm used to haha.

My story..
I'm 15 years old and I live in Mississippi, 90% of the people I know are Christian here. I was raised a Christian, went to church every now and then, my family isn't hardcore devoted but they do believe Jesus is the savior God is the holy father and all of that good stuff. I started going to church with friends on Wednesday nights when I was 12

When I was 13 years old I was currently being homeschooled for my first year and my dad got me a science book that was based off of Christian teachings. In the book it told you everything about science, then it told you "the truth", how scientists aren't trustworthy and that we must all read what the bible truly says, the flood was real, evolution is not etc. (I wish I still had the book so I could get some of the direct quotes but it's long gone now) This sparked my interest because it all sounded like bullshit (for a lack of better words) so I began to question the Bible. Since I was homeschooled I had a lot of free-time on my hands and I read the bible.. 3 times. I started to see the lies in the bible, but I wanted so bad to believe it was all true. I kept asking god if he was there and got no response. I even tried testing god and put myself in situations where it was, "If you can help me right now, I'll believe you're real." and nothing would ever happen. After that I kept thinking, asking questions, and doing my research. I've ended up where I am today, a happy Atheist.

This year I've embraced Atheism, told my friends, family etc.
The results were shocking.. I expected my friends to accept me and my family not to, but I ended up with the opposite. My family was shocked but I think they're slowly starting to understand my decision and don't treat me any differently. But my friends are still having a hard-time accepting it and always seem to want to argue me with their beliefs, even teachers at school (no longer homeschooled btw) have argued with me why they think god is real. After lame verses from the bible and the whole faith card, it comes down to the same old, "The universe can't have come from nothing! It has to have come from SOMETHING!" argument though.

Some other things that interest me include Graphic Design, music production, science of course, like the normal teenager I love video games, cartoons, and television shows. Tongue One day I hope to move to Japan and study the language and culture over there and become a high school English teacher, seems like a nice life over there and I want to get away from here (at least for a few years)

So that's me! I hope to talk and make friends with new people around here and to also learn a lot. Thanks for reading and I'll see ya around the forums
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Left Brain's post
31-12-2011, 08:13 AM
RE: Hello
Hey left brain welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
31-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Welcome! I'm 16 and have only recently come out to my family and friends as an atheist, so it sounds like you and I have a lot in common!
31-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi left brain
Welcome to the forum, very interesting post there.
Though ... Japan???

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Thank you for the welcomes

(31-12-2011 08:24 AM)Ben Wrote:  Welcome! I'm 16 and have only recently come out to my family and friends as an atheist, so it sounds like you and I have a lot in common!

That's awesome man, glad I'm not the only one

(31-12-2011 08:49 AM)Leela Wrote:  Hi left brain
Welcome to the forum, very interesting post there.
Though ... Japan???

Heh I know might be a little crazy but I really like it over there Blush
I don't want to be bound to one country my whole life when I have the whole world to discover, and that's where I'd like to start
[+] 1 user Likes Left Brain's post
31-12-2011, 09:22 AM
Why not start in Mexico? That's nearer to you and less expensive to get there and the language is less complicated.
Though admittingly it sounds tempting to visit Asia! I would like to see India

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
31-12-2011, 09:30 AM
(31-12-2011 09:22 AM)Leela Wrote:  Why not start in Mexico? That's nearer to you and less expensive to get there and the language is less complicated.

Japan has hotter chicks.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-12-2011, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2011 09:36 AM by Left Brain.)
(31-12-2011 09:22 AM)Leela Wrote:  Why not start in Mexico? That's nearer to you and less expensive to get there and the language is less complicated.

Because I don't want to set an easier goal just for the sake of it being easy! If I'm passionate about it then I'll pursue it to the best of my abilities. Plus.. I'm not really as interested in Mexico. Asia and Europe are where I'm aiming haha

I do also want to visit India, I think their architecture style is beautiful. Plus I love elephants.
*points to avatar*

(31-12-2011 09:30 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Japan has hotter chicks.

hahahaha, on my scale I'd have to say Korean girls are better though. But Korea is all messed up right now unfortunately. South Korea has one of the highest numbers of Christianity and Christian missionaries if I remember correctly... that sort of intimidates me to visit
[+] 1 user Likes Left Brain's post
01-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Welcome! Which part of MS do you live? I'm Southern Louisiana.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
01-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Welcome aboard

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire