Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Hello!
Well, 19-year-old bisexual girl, living in Oregon, going to a liberal arts college in a small town for a biology degree. I guess that covers the basics, but I figure I'd like to talk a little bit about my background too.

I was actually not raised in a religious home. My mom grew up Lutheran and I don't think it ever really clicked with her. She was brought up to believe that atheist was synonymous with devil worshiper, but a lot of religion never really made sense to her. I think that she has probably been an agnostic for a very long time. Her parents don't really know because she's afraid of what they would say or think. Most of the rest of her family is either religious or don't really get involved in any sort of religion or religious debate. My father never talks about religion, but I have a feeling he's pretty much an atheist, and I think his family is pretty much all atheists and agnostics, or at least open-minded Christians.

As a small child, I do remember thinking God was just something that existed, probably something I got from my mom's mom. But I started to doubt things by the time I was around 9 or 10. I didn't really know the terms "agnostic" and "atheist" at that time, but I remember talking to my dad's mom and my cousin about how religion seemed so silly and didn't make sense.

However, a few years later, my dad's job moved us across the country to the Bible belt, which surprisingly in itself didn't affect my religion. What did affect it was a combination of dealing with a lot, especially with my shyness and starting middle school and having a hard time making friends, plus the fact that I liked to read historical fiction books which often included a lot of religion. I pretty much just wanted somewhere to fit and something to comfort me. I still didn't really go to church, mostly because my family didn't, but I bought a Bible and started reading it almost every night and praying a lot, trying to talk to God all the time because it made me feel better, especially after the difficult loss of our dog, who had been there since before I was born.

I always had my doubts. Things still didn't make sense, the evidence didn't add up, especially trying to make the history of the earth and evolution and what I knew about science (I've been a science nerd since I was pretty young) fit into the Bible. But I pushed the doubts back, and every time I started to question, I would take a moment and apologize in my head to God because I thought that my questioning was somehow inherently bad.

Fast forward several years, and we've moved back, I've started high school, made a few friends, but still having a hard time and feeling very alone. My religion was definitely fading at that point. I can't really pinpoint a certain time I lost my religion, but at some point I stopped trying to find a church and decided that God didn't need me to go to church. And from there, I just became less and less focused on my religion as I saw more and more problems with the whole thing--the way it was inconsistent and often times downright awful to people who believed other things.

I started dating my boyfriend when I was 16 and still a little bit religious. He's an atheist and I really liked his way of thinking and his logical approach to things. And things actually made sense for once. It was at least a year or two before I actually considered myself an atheist, but I am now openly atheist on facebook and to a fair amount of my friends. My main point is that, even if you are religious, you should be able to question your beliefs, you should be able to ask yourself if parts of your belief don't make sense without it being a sin or being thought of as a negative thing. I am very passionate about the idea that you can only come to well-founded beliefs if you are able to question and investigate your beliefs.

The reason I am here is just that I need a place to talk about my atheism with people other than my boyfriend. My mom is uncomfortable with me being openly atheist to her family, so like her parents don't know that I am an atheist, and I have many religious friends on facebook and in real life who I don't want to alienate by being very passionate about my atheism. So it's just nice to have a place to go where people hold similar views to me in regards to religion.

So, yeah...hi Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cardiologineer's post
23-01-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: Hello!
Hi and welcome to TTA
Have an insightful stay

Talking with other atheist should not pose much of a problem here. Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
23-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey and welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
23-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Welcome! So glad to hear that you are strong in a somewhat turbulent time. I've been to Oregon once, I liked it a lot! Parts of it looks a bit like my piece of Norway (Oslo). The nature seemed familiar, but there were all these large ads and posters all over.

"Never underestimate how narrow-minded, petty and stupid people can be". Mark Fulton, forum member
23-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Welcome! I live in Oregon, too (Portland).
23-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Welcome; lots of talk here.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2012, 08:31 PM
(23-01-2012 06:04 PM)Atheist Wrote:  Welcome! I live in Oregon, too (Portland).

Hey, cool...I thought I was one of the only NW peeps up here in Seattle. Smile

Welcome, Cardio!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
24-01-2012, 09:53 AM
(23-01-2012 06:04 PM)Atheist Wrote:  Welcome! I live in Oregon, too (Portland).

Same, Oregon. Central Oregon.

Welcome to the forums.