Hello!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Wink Hello!
Hello... my name is Damien... and I am an a...atheist.

Hahahaha! Big Grin

I am 23 years old and I have been an atheist all of my life. My family is Catholic and I even went to a Catholic school from 5th grade through 8th grade, but none of it ever made any logical sense. Even though there were images of Jesus throughout the house, I never really took much notice of them and thankfully my mom didn't force religion upon me. It was there, but I wasn't made to do anything. Of course, when we visited my grandparents we had to attend church in a giant cathedral in Saint Louis, but any time I was in church my body went through the motions while I daydreamed of dragons burning the place down.

The moment I could talk, I asked questions... relentlessly. I had to know everything and I had an obsession with dinosaurs. Bedspread, toys, pictures, books, everything dinosaur related, I had to have it. Fortunately for me, nobody could show me where the dinosaurs were in the Bible. It mentioned doves and lions by name, but not tyrannosaurus or brachiosaurus which confirmed my belief that there was no God, that man wrote the Bible before dinosaurs had even been discovered. Clearly, had there been a God he would have at least mentioned Pachycephalosaurus.

Anyway, I live in a town where I am heavily outnumbered. It can be a bit lonely at times, so I naturally turned to the internet where I found The Thinking Atheist on Youtube and joined a local Free Thinkers meet up group. It's been so much better since. My girlfriend (of 4 years of which we've been living together for 3) and I don't really talk about religion a lot, but she has expressed her own doubts and reasons that my arguments make sense. She seems to be in a state of "deprogramming".

Well... I guess that's about it. So... hello!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 10:43 AM
RE: Hello!
I have been an atheist my whole life and my family is Catholic too. HOWDY!

[Image: opforum1.png]
16-04-2012, 10:49 AM
It's good to have you here.

Welcome!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
16-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Atheist ex-Catholic here too...welcome.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
16-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

Awhile back ago a changed my Facebook status to include that I am indeed an atheist and nobody acknowledged it. Either they didn't notice, didn't care, or knew all a long. Like I said, we never really talked about it as my family felt religion is personal. My friends have always known though and the ones that have stuck around are cool with it. One converted to Judaism and the other has been a typical Christian his entire life, but we respect each other and are able to hold meaningful conversations.

frankiej: What was it that kept you from ever believing in the first place?
16-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome Smile
16-04-2012, 12:33 PM
With a name like Damien, are you sure you're an Atheist or just an Anti-Christ? Tongue
Either way, welcome!
[Image: Damien__Omen_II.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-04-2012, 12:49 PM
(16-04-2012 12:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  With a name like Damien, are you sure you're an Atheist or just an Anti-Christ? Tongue
Either way, welcome!
[Image: Damien__Omen_II.jpg]
Hahahaha! The crazy thing is that my mom admits she had watched The Omen after giving birth to me. I was nameless for quite awhile, but then she looked into the name and found Father Damien of Molokai and said, "that works".